Are you Diabetic? well you are NOW!

woodybrighton

Think that's possibly the worst way to find out you are diabetic:rolleyes:. Tried to do one of those paid medical trials in august things got turned down because my blood sugar was way too high. HCA did a blood test and a week later got a phonecall the Dr or some random call center worker asked me if I was a diabetic? er, not sure was my reply. The response was pretty blunt well your are now I've written a prescription for metformin take 2 a day and eat a healthy diet.

well I've cut out sugar and don't drink during the week anymore and on a beer, friday Saturday and Sunday lost 2 kilos from 86
walk the dog at least a couple of miles and cycle a few miles a day.

really here to learn a bit and get my diet sorted

Reactions: mo53 and Antje77

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
The healthy diet is not the main one recommended by the NHS - an Eatwell plate contains far too many carbs for most T2 diabetics.

As for the metformin, they should have discussed your options (but often don't). I said I wanted to try low carb instead and by my second blood test my HbA1c was down into the normal range and has stayed there since. I continued to have a small rise first thing in the morning but this settled down within weeks. The dietitian they persuaded me to see hated low carb, would have preferred me to go on metformin in spite of the unpleasant side effects, but I'd read enough of the research plus seen Dr Unwin's diagrams to know it was the best option for me.

If you want to check how you react to carbs buy a meter. Test before and then 2 hours after every meal at first. We are all different, eg I found I reacted more to strawberries than the same amount of carbs in raspberries.

aard

Think that's possibly the worst way to find out you are diabetic:rolleyes:. Tried to do one of those paid medical trials in august things got turned down because my blood sugar was way too high. HCA did a blood test and a week later got a phonecall the Dr or some random call center worker asked me if I was a diabetic? er, not sure was my reply. The response was pretty blunt well your are now I've written a prescription for metformin take 2 a day and eat a healthy diet.

well I've cut out sugar and don't drink during the week anymore and on a beer, friday Saturday and Sunday lost 2 kilos from 86

er, are you in the Uk? if so this wasnt some random call centre worker, he must have been a Doctor to give you a prescription.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

https://josekalsbeek.blogspot.com/2019/11/the-nutritional-thingy.html should help with the diet bit. And how is the metformin treating you? Any ill effects?

It is a rubbish way to find out...! I'm sorry you've been put through that. There's no easy way to break this sort of news, but this is just.... Aargh!