Loose stools

zacwasmydog

I have been having chronic loose stools(and frequent movements) from the start of the year. I went to my GP to discuss wether or not it was metforrmin causing this and should I go on slow release. Because I have been on Metforrmin for 4 - 5 years he thought not and reffered me to the local hospital, where I had a colonoscopy which was inconclusive showed some inflamation. The consultant suggested stopping my simvastatin incase that was causing it. After a few weeks my Hba1c check was due so had bloods taken, when I saw the nurse and discussed what had happened she suggested it was more likely to be the metforrmin and said she would discuss with my GP. In the meantime my cholestoral had risen to 6.5 so back on simvastatin. My Hba1c was up to 9.5 so increased gliclazide to 2 in A.M. and 2 P.M. Hand on heart I snack a lot ie 200grm Roasted salted peanuts one night, crisps etc other nights I like my savoury stuff, and little or no exercise. Told nurse this and also recently got a rescue dog so will be getting out and about a lot more this will help. Now on slow release metforrmin and not going to the loo as much and slightly stiffer stools. Having another colonoscopy on 29/11/11, fingers crossed :crazy:

heathclowes

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
certain vegetables and time wasters
I am having the same problems but i have cut out brown bread and bran flakes and now have white bread and i have found that i have not had stomach problems for well over a month now, this was affecting my work as i was having to take time off till the problem calmed down, the doc thinks that maybe i could have a wheat intollerance and i have to have a gastro appointment with the possibilty of a colonoscopy, (by the way does that hurt?), I haven't taken simvastin for the last 6 months owing to the fact that we are trying for a baby, my Hba1c was 11 this time but hopefully by this time in 3 months it may be better as the doc has upped my slow released metformin from 1000 a day to 2000.

Ann19

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had a colonoscopy a couple of years ago. I was sedated during it so was mostly unaware of the 'goings on'. I couldn't eat for 24 hours before hand and they gave me a powder to mix with water to drink. This flushes you out so that they can see the colon. You need to stay VERY close to the loo!! This drink tasted awful!!!! If you chill the water in the fridge for 24 hours and then mix it and drink then the cold seems to dull the taste of it. Also drinking it through a straw bypasses the tongue and taste buds. The drink was definitely the worst thing about the procedure.

Ann

elviscole

i had similar problems last year, doctor said it may be the metformin or i could be allergic to wheat,
january i went onto slow release metformin and cut out wheat and overnight my dodgy stomach went away, in may i had a 6 month check up and the nurse put me back on ordinary metformin but i stayed off wheat, within a month the dodgy stomach came back, went back and asked to go back on the slow release and went back eating wheat, at the moment im 95% ok, get the odd dodgy stomach but maybe once every 2 weeks instead of every day,
ive just had another 6 month checkup and i think il be going back as my sugar level is up at the mo so would imagine i will have to up the metformin as im only on 1 a day

Moley

I had this a couple of years ago, it began slowly at first and I saw my GP and he dismissed it. Then all of a sudden I couldn't be more than 10 seconds away from a toilet, a first I thought it was just an upset stomach but after a week with no change a half a stone down I saw my diabetic nurse and she took me straight off Metformin and within 2 days I was back to normal.
Eventually I slowly went back on Metformin SR and thing are ok, but every now and then I have some stomach problems, but that could be a combination of the Metformin and my Victoza injection.
Hope it all works out for you.