Flu Jab &T1D

TypeZero.

Have no idea if there is a connection. But my blood sugar doesn’t seem to be going below 11, injected 2 units and checked 40 mins later, blood sugar is even higher at 12.4

The only “change” I would say is that I had the flu jab today. But I wasn’t aware that it would affect my blood sugar? It’s a vaccine so doesn’t actually contain any virus just the antigens (cell-surface proteins)

Anyone else experienced this? I’m wondering if it has anything to do with the honeymoon period as I’m 5 months since my diagnosis but not sure

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi TZ,

Can't say it's ever given me any grief. I've had the jabs for years..?

It's anyone's guess on your honeymoon..

I personally wouldn't recomend you are invicable to flu. But if you have experienced the lurgey? It can make it quicker to get over,
Should you contract it.. Sometimes, I have been luckier..

Reactions: TypeZero.

richyb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Cold weather
Have no idea if there is a connection. But my blood sugar doesn’t seem to be going below 11, injected 2 units and checked 40 mins later, blood sugar is even higher at 12.4

The only “change” I would say is that I had the flu jab today. But I wasn’t aware that it would affect my blood sugar? It’s a vaccine so doesn’t actually contain any virus just the antigens (cell-surface proteins)

Anyone else experienced this? I’m wondering if it has anything to do with the honeymoon period as I’m 5 months since my diagnosis but not sure
My results are also higher since the the jab. But it's only been 2 day's yet. But before I had it my control was very good. Had to increase my basal, also my bolus ratio on pump. Going on holiday soon as well. Hoping it improves. I was not spiking hardly after meals but I am now.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi there, YES is the answer. Each time I have had the flu jab my glucose levels have been higher in the days that follow. I think it's because the flu jab gives you the 'flu' so that you can make antibodies against it so your body thinks 'What the.....and then goes into fighting off an illness mode' hence your levels rise as they would if you were ill with a cold or whatever. x