Motorcycle Rider Advice

uruudoshi

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hello all.
I have just completed my CBT training and have a 125 bike and I was wondering if there are any different tips and tricks for riding and managing diabetes? I drive a car and don't have any issues and test my bloods using the libra freestyle (which is revolutionary), but wanted to really understand if I need to do anything different before, during and after riding a bike? Thank you all. Jacqui.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I’ve been a biker for 35 years and diabetic for 22 - I also drive a car, an ambulance and have a light goods vehicle licence. I use a Dexcom G6 rather than Libre, and blood test at least twice a day plus every two hours when driving (compulsory for my lorry licence). All I’d advise when riding is to to the same, even though DVLA accept Libre for cars and bikes. Keep your phone/scanner in an outside pocket, same with some glucose. Nothing more fiddly than trying to undo bike kit in a hurry! Just have fun x

uruudoshi

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thank you LooperCat. Appreciate that a lot. I guess more frequent stops could well be the answer. I was hoping one day a signal could push from the Libra freestyle to your earpiece or phone and send an alert which would be amazing too. But thanks again. Stay safe and happy riding!!

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you LooperCat. Appreciate that a lot. I guess more frequent stops could well be the answer. I was hoping one day a signal could push from the Libra freestyle to your earpiece or phone and send an alert which would be amazing too. But thanks again. Stay safe and happy riding!!

Hi, your post just gave me an idea..

It is possible with a Bluetooth "bridge" from the from the Libre to your phone using the XDrip app as a reader to set an alarm regarding BG levels that can be played through chorded ear buds...

I just tried it out.. ;)

Hope this helps?

Reactions: EllieM

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
You can add a device like a MiaoMiao or Bubble to a Libre to send alerts and warnings to your phone (and watch) - it basically turns it into a CGM. Mine is set to buzz my wrist at 4.3 (5.2 when driving) and 8, so I can deal with a hypo before it happens. But I merrily rode my bike around France, Spain, Norway and up and down the length of the U.K. for 20 years with just finger pricks and injections.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
OK?
I've just discovered Xdrip can speak your readings too. (Sort of sat nav style customisable voice with the arrow direction.)
But that may drive you nuts every 5minutes in the ear..

Been using this app for ages & it never ceases to amaze..

Reactions: EllieM