Not open for further replies.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
If I wear a mask it means I am going a long with the big lie that Covid is somehow as dangerous as typhoid

Start looking at the after effects of Covid. I might not die if I catch the virus from somebody who seems to think it's a breeze to overcome this virus, but death might be better than some of the after effects being reported and documented. Your statements don't seem to take that into consideration.

Reactions: Diane fluteplayer

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Start looking at the after effects of Covid. I might not die if I catch the virus from somebody who seems to think it's a breeze to overcome this virus, but death might be better than some of the after effects being reported and documented. Your statements don't seem to take that into consideration.

You may not die from covid you may be relatively young but just one out of many effects of an infection is the risk of strokes which is very real and not confined to the elderly. And has now been known about for some while.

"Mr. Sharma, 27, could not move the right side of his body, and could only grunt in his father’s direction. His sister, Bina Yamin, on the phone from her home in Fort Wayne, Ind., could hear the sounds.

“Call 911,” she told her father. “I think Ravi’s having a stroke.” She was right.

Over the next few hours, doctors at a Queens hospital worked frantically to break up a blood clot blocking an artery to Mr. Sharma’s brain. But the doctors were puzzled.

Mr. Sharma was far too young for a stroke. He worked out every day and didn’t have diabetes, high blood pressure or the kinds of medical conditions that can set the stage for strokes in young adults, which are rare.

Neurologists in New York City, Detroit, New Jersey and other parts of the country have reported a flurry of such cases. Many are now convinced that unexplained strokes represent yet another insidious manifestation of Covid-19, the illness caused by the new coronavirus."

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/14/health/coronavirus-strokes.html

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.05.03.20077206v2

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You may not die from covid you may be relatively young but just one out of many effects of an infection is the risk of strokes which is very real and not confined to the elderly. And has now been known about for some while.

"Mr. Sharma, 27, could not move the right side of his body, and could only grunt in his father’s direction. His sister, Bina Yamin, on the phone from her home in Fort Wayne, Ind., could hear the sounds.

“Call 911,” she told her father. “I think Ravi’s having a stroke.” She was right.

Over the next few hours, doctors at a Queens hospital worked frantically to break up a blood clot blocking an artery to Mr. Sharma’s brain. But the doctors were puzzled.

Mr. Sharma was far too young for a stroke. He worked out every day and didn’t have diabetes, high blood pressure or the kinds of medical conditions that can set the stage for strokes in young adults, which are rare.

Neurologists in New York City, Detroit, New Jersey and other parts of the country have reported a flurry of such cases. Many are now convinced that unexplained strokes represent yet another insidious manifestation of Covid-19, the illness caused by the new coronavirus."

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/14/health/coronavirus-strokes.html

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.05.03.20077206v2
I developed clots in both legs after having Covid. Thankfully I knew that pains in my calves that felt like cramp but didn't go when stretched were a sign of blood clots so I have had blood thinners to minimise the risk of stroke. Others might not know this risk.

Another area that isn't often mentioned is the effects on the brain. I stepped out in front of a car a couple of months after having covid. Not a wilful act of self harm or even negligence on my part. My brain simply didn't register that the car was there even though my eyes saw it. Scary stuff.
I believe my covid infection was so bad because of a high viral load. Wearing masks have been shown to reduce the viral load.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
Others might not know this risk.

Sorry to hear that you've been through the wars, I hope that you are making a good recovery. When I hear people pontificating about what they refer to as something like a mild lower respiratory infection I wonder if they are in this world or another one. These problems have been known for a while but we still don't know the full facts of the "after effects". Your experience just goes to show that it is in no way "a simple infection".

I wish you all the very best.

Bex72

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
government policies that increase inequality, brussel sprouts, neighbour's karaoke at 2am
I am wearing a mask. Just bought some new washable ones from m&s, £9.50 for 5 masks. They seem really good. I am (along with the other 5 in my household) still self isolating. Let's just say "Back to School" didn't quite go to plan. Within a week of being back, one of the teens had it and despite best efforts we all did eventually. Nothing serious to report, we're in and out of bed, feeling ok one minute and a bit ropey the next.
I am looking forward to being allowed out again and wearing one of my new masks. I imagine it will be quite some time before anyone fancies visiting us! We'll be trying "Back to School" again in October, hopefully less eventfully.
Keep safe.

Reactions: Brunneria

Migmogs

Absolutely every time I go into a shop or enclosed space

I bought the innovative HEiQ viroblock masks that are for sale on amazon
This Swiss technology that has been developed for 4 years in Australian Universities
For sars 1 and influenza ....was modified for SARS 2 covid 19

The fabric is impregnated with HEiQ viroblock
Which means that covid 19 and influenza ....die on the masks surface
After 30 minutes ...as opposed to days

Thus HEiQ innovation ...is being rolled out to hospitals
To treat the fabrics like curtains on wards , drs nurses masks, Ppe etc

Washes 30 times ...so excellent value for money
Stay safe all

Reactions: Bex72

Migmogs

I am wearing a mask. Just bought some new washable ones from m&s, £9.50 for 5 masks. They seem really good. I am (along with the other 5 in my household) still self isolating. Let's just say "Back to School" didn't quite go to plan. Within a week of being back, one of the teens had it and despite best efforts we all did eventually. Nothing serious to report, we're in and out of bed, feeling ok one minute and a bit ropey the next.
I am looking forward to being allowed out again and wearing one of my new masks. I imagine it will be quite some time before anyone fancies visiting us! We'll be trying "Back to School" again in October, hopefully less eventfully.
Keep safe.
Hope that you all get back to full health soon

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Remember the Spanish flu pandemic

Why do we not learn from the lessons of history.

even the cats got a mask.jpg

Even the cat knew to wear a mask.

jane1950

I'm seeing far more people wearing masks when going to the supermarket now and wondered whether people are wearing a mask or not? I've been wearing a makeshift mask but think I may a "proper" one.

x
I am exempt, but may get the glasses style visor, but I do not think masks should have been made mandatory, as quite a few people were wearing them , they should have stayed as advisable

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am exempt, but may get the glasses style visor, but I do not think masks should have been made mandatory, as quite a few people were wearing them , they should have stayed as advisable
Not round here, they weren't. Only making them mandatory had the required results. Especially with the holiday makers.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I haven't read the article, but my instinctive reply to the headline is that it's more likely to be the other way around. Just a personal opinion.
This headline? From the article above?
Did early focus on hand washing and not masks aid spread of Covid-19?
I’m a bit confused what your opinion is. You think we were right to focus on hands or we should have had more masks early on?

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Was that the one that killed 20-50 million of those mask wearers?
Name them. you do not know what percentage of those who died had worn masks or what percentage of those who survived the pandemic did wear them the above was the usual prejudicial statement I have come to expect from you recently.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This headline? From the article above?
Did early focus on hand washing and not masks aid spread of Covid-19?
I’m a bit confused what your opinion is. You think we were right to focus on hands or we should have had more masks early on?

Sorry, yes, I replied a bit quickly while in the middle of something else. I think the focus on hygiene is a better strategy - masks are largely being worn incorrectly and endlessly fiddled with - on and off without any hygiene inbetween. In my mind that’s a recipe for spreading germs.

Reactions: DJC3

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
In November 1918 my hubby's grandfather and one of his sons died of the influenza during the pandemic. They died on the same day. The son had been in the trenches in France. I started to do a bit of research about this years ago, and these are the notes I made.

In the spring of 1918 large numbers of soldiers in the trenches along the Western Front in France became ill. The soldiers complained of a sore throat, headaches and a loss of appetite. Although it appeared to be highly infectious, recovery was rapid and doctors gave it the name of 'three-day fever'. At first doctors were unable to identify the illness but eventually they decided it was a new strain of influenza. The soldiers gave it the name Spanish Flu but there is no evidence that it really did originate from that country. In fact, in Spain they called it French Flu.

For the next few months soldiers continued to be infected with the virus but there were very few fatalities. However, in the summer of 1918, symptoms became much more severe. About a fifth of the victims developed bronchial pneumonia or septicaemia. A large percentage of these men died.

The first cases of an influenza epidemic in Britain appeared in Glasgow in May 1918. It soon spread to other towns and cities and during the next few months the virus killed 228,000 people in Britain. This was the highest mortality rate for any epidemic since the outbreak of cholera in 1849.

In Britain desperate methods were used to prevent the spread of the disease. Streets were sprayed with chemicals and people started wearing anti-germ masks. Some factories changed their no-smoking rules under the mistaken impression that tobacco fumes could kill the virus. Others believed that eating plenty of porridge would protect you from this killer disease. However, despite valiant attempts, all treatments devised to cope with this new strain of influenza were completely ineffectual.

On November 3rd. 1918 the News of the World suggested several anti-flu precautions:
Wash inside nose with soap and water each night and morning; force yourself to sneeze night and morning, then breathe deeply; do not wear a muffler; take sharp walks regularly and walk home from work; eat plenty of porridge.

Reactions: DJC3

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Irrelevant, not talking about covid-19 droplet size, not talking about non surgical masks, made in 2016.

Seriously, you have usually paid attention to actual science before, what has changed with you?
So you haven't watched the video.. I suggest you do.

Status
Not open for further replies.