Unhappy

badwolfreturns

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My blood sugars have gone up to 51 so I'm back on metformin, so angry with myself for putting on weight.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Is that your Hba1c?
If so it is only a little way into the diabetic range.
Overdoing the carbs is a sure way for me to put on weight - I put on a couple of Kg eating apples off the trees in the garden, but ensuring I was in low numbers after meals has got rid of it and then some. For me the key is always to eat low carb and not let it become normal to see over 8 on the meter.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My blood sugars have gone up to 51 so I'm back on metformin, so angry with myself for putting on weight.
Do you mean you've fallen off the wagon during Covid? Because you're certainly not the only one! Start over with the low carb, those pounds and your HbA1c'll improve again.

You're human. Take a breath, and start over.

Reactions: LaoDan

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
The weight gain isn't the cause of your higher hbA1C figure.
It is probably a combination of more carbs (and less exercise?) that caused both the weight gain and the higher HbA1C.
Quite often the weight gained when eating more carbs than usual is purely more water being retained by the body, so it can fall away again quickly when carbs are reduced once more. It is the other side of the coin to the fast weight loss when cutting carbs.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
For me.. less movement can be enough to increase my insulin resistance. No matter my diet or amount of injected insulin. I can lose weight on the right amount of insulin. My hba1c is also 51 but I only produce some of my own insulin which I top up manually.
The more insulin resistant I am the more I add weight. Plain and simple.
I can do strict low carb and still need the extra insulin. I guess for my protein. Protein which isn't as IR as carbs.
I hv to feed my system high protein or my bgs just increase slowly to a situation which can only be controlled by more insulin.
Metformin works with the Liver. It helps regulate some of the body's converting food to glucose. Any which the liver is responsible for. No where else, for me. In some the gullet conversion is assisted by metformin. Not me, I feel.