Unexplained non diabetic sugars

Shadybaby

Good afternoon,

My 4 year old son has been having issues with blood sugars. He is having hypos as low as 2.1 and hypers as high as 17 that I've catch. He has been in hospital this week with ketones 4.3 . We have left still not knowing what is going on. Because of the hypos they point blank dont want to entertain the idea of diabetes. I certainly dont want him to be on insulin but it seems that he needs it at times. His 9very night is fine between 3.9-4.2 .He went from 3 - 16.5 yesterday he was so ill, headache , drank a gallon of water and just felt like poo. 3 hours after food he was still 12.8. I just want to know what's going on. Just wondered if anyone had that a similar situation and finally got to the bottom of it.

First.Officer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not sure if the attached link is of any use, but the Ketones and blood glucose swings seem odd....sometimes worth giving source material to your MD like this as it may awaken a new avenue of exploration....maybe?.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5131811/

Am guessing the fact that you've managed to check his Blood Sugars regularly enough to see the ranges, means that someone in the family is diabetic - which alone could suggest a likelihood maybe of family inheritance.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good afternoon,

My 4 year old son has been having issues with blood sugars. He is having hypos as low as 2.1 and hypers as high as 17 that I've catch. He has been in hospital this week with ketones 4.3 . We have left still not knowing what is going on. Because of the hypos they point blank dont want to entertain the idea of diabetes. I certainly dont want him to be on insulin but it seems that he needs it at times. His 9very night is fine between 3.9-4.2 .He went from 3 - 16.5 yesterday he was so ill, headache , drank a gallon of water and just felt like poo. 3 hours after food he was still 12.8. I just want to know what's going on. Just wondered if anyone had that a similar situation and finally got to the bottom of it.

Hi there - Undoubtedly, all of this is very worrying for you.

From the way you "speak", you are quite familiar withe diabetes. Do you live with diabetes yourself?

How have things been left by the medics? What are the next steps they have planned for your boy?

MarkMunday

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good afternoon,

... We have left still not knowing what is going on. Because of the hypos they point blank dont want to entertain the idea of diabetes. ...
Something must be interfering with insulin production. Hypos mean too much insulin. Hypers and ketones mean not enough insulin. I would want him to be checked out for an insulinoma. He should also be tested for the Type 1 diabetes antibodies. There could be more than one problem.

Shadybaby

Hi,
Yes my step daughter my sons half sister is type 1 she was diagnosed at 5 when she was seriously ill. Thank you for the link. X

Am guessing the fact that you've managed to check his Blood Sugars regularly enough to see the ranges, means that someone in the family is diabetic - which alone could suggest a likelihood maybe of family inheritance.[/QUOTE]

Shadybaby

Hi there - Undoubtedly, all of this is very worrying for you.

From the way you "speak", you are quite familiar withe diabetes. Do you live with diabetes yourself?

How have things been left by the medics? What are the next steps they have planned for your boy?

Henry's half sister is diabetic. They have ran a fair few tests but not all are back yet. We have been sent home just been told they will follow up with a outpatient appointment and they are going to order an brain MRI. I'm just left in limbo. I dont want to feed him because then he is ill from hypers , I also want to feed him constantly otherwise he goes hypo , it just seems they think I'm making it all up. They know I'm not though they witnessed the swings in hospital just no idea what is causing them x

Shadybaby

Something must be interfering with insulin production. Hypos mean too much insulin. Hypers and ketones mean not enough insulin. I would want him to be checked out for an insulinoma. He should also be tested for the Type 1 diabetes antibodies. There could be more than one problem.
I believe they have ordered some antiBody tests, I am unsure which ones. He has lots of medical conditions already so there could well be more than one problem. I understand starting insulin would make him have hypos more often but over time having so many hypers is going to damage his body anyway if not treated.

I believe it was you that commented on one of my previous posts and recommended purchasing a libre . I tried to get the docs to place one so they could get a full picture but of course they wouldn't. So I have bought one just waiting on delivery. Hopefully then it will so a pattern and they will be able to go from there. X

Reactions: MarkMunday