Anyone tried Zero Noodles?

zzjanliz

Hi there, just wanted to know if anyone has tried Zero Noodles? Am thinking of trying some but just wanted to check that they are edible before i go ahead?? they are meant to have no net carbs and only 5 calories and also help to stabilise blood sugar levels....sound a little too good to be true so am a little sceptical.

Please let me know if you have trie these

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I've tried shiritaki noodles - assume they're the same? They taste of absolutely nothing, and don't really hold onto sauce that well.

I only bought a single pack, and haven't tried them since. I suppose they're worth a try - what have you got to lose?

I've seen a great recipe on Low Carb Friends for Pad Thai using the zero carb noodles. I'd buy them again just to try that recipe.

I imagine you could probably make a passable chow mein with them using bean sprouts, ground nut oil, veg and soy sauce..

clearviews

Dislikes
Arrogance, sarcasm and liars
I have shirataki or konnyaku noodles as one of the items I include in my recipes. I love the little bundles mine come in, in one brand and use them in clear soup hot pots. As Patch says they are not a pasta substitute as sauces do not 'stick' to them. They definately have no great impact on my blood glucose levels as I have tested many times.
I buy them locally off the shelf in my Asian supermarket and have more luck getting them from Japanese stores and they are very cheap because we are close to their source I suspect. Translation of the ingredients is often dodgy as my packets say they are made from rice but at 5g of carbs per 100g they cannot be and my bg confirms this.
No taste but sort of a comfort food that is extremely low carb.

zzjanliz

Hi there, so i recieved my zero noodles yesturday and cooked them up as pad thai last night (thanks patch!) and it was LUSH! texture takes a little getting used to but im thoroughly impressed with them as they really do fill you up and they are close enough to noodles to make you forget that they are not...if that makes sense??

Anyway i have just ordered a load more and i think they may become a staple for dinner times now. Although i need some more recipe ideas....any suggestions? Im going to try chicken laksa with them tonight yummy!

Etty

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Be sure to test them before indulging on a regular basis, there has been some problems with 1 so called low-carb brand Dreamfields.

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Etty, Dreamfields pasta and the noodles these guys are talking about are two completely different things, but thanks for the heads up.

wiflib

clearviews

Dislikes
Arrogance, sarcasm and liars
I believe that Dreamfields are still wheat based while the shirataki or konnyaku noodles do not contain any wheat.

Grazer

clearviews said:
Translation of the ingredients is often dodgy as my packets say they are made from rice but at 5g of carbs per 100g they cannot be and my bg confirms this.

That's odd. They're not from rice. Zero noodles and Shirataki are the same thing. They're made from the roots of the Konjac plant, a bit like a yam. Extremely low carbs, cals and fat. In fact, they're virtually nothing but plant fibre which is why they taste of nothing as Patch says. Handy for bulking things out I guess.

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have a few packets of these and tonight I decided on a little experiment.

Drain, rinse and finely chop the noodles. Put them in a saucepan and just cover with cream/milk/coconut milk/soy milk or whatever takes your fancy.

Mix a heaped teaspoon of arrowroot with a little milk or water and add to the noodles. Sweeten to taste with heat stable sweetener, add cinnamon/nutmeg/allspice and a knob of butter.

Stir whilst heating until thickened.

'Rice' Pudding. It was jolly nice!

wiflib

zzjanliz

Oh my god! wiflib...you're a genius!!! what a fab idea! im going to give this a go tonight...i hadnt thought of trying them for sweet recipes, i will let you know my verdict later. UMMM what other sweet desserts could you do with these...........

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I wonder if they fry well? Sort of a noodle pancake or deep fried noodles, dipped in sweetened cinnamon........

wiflib

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I WISH they'd make lasagna sheets out of the stuff!

sue32

Dislikes
false people
I bought some from zero noodles and I wasn't very keen on trying them. Just the look of them put me off.....especially after my daughter's observations!! :shock: BUT....I rinsed them more than the recommended tip then added them to a Chinese chicken curry and I was really very, very surprised. Of course, there's no taste to them, but I felt they picked up the curry extremely well. One thing I wondered...can they be frozen??