Driving accident hypo DVLA

bettyboo123

I really really need some advice,I'm constantly crying and so worried don't know what to do...a week ago I ventured to the my local town 1/4 mins away checked my blood sugars and they were 9.2mmols. Went shopping for 3/4 with my daughter and headed for home. What I then remember is my car throttle sticking to the mat and a crash, I can remember crying out for my young daughter and being helped to a nearby house. To cut a long story short my little girl thankfully was fine I had collide with a stationary car and I soon realised I was in a hypo seen by police and paramedic and told that it would be a unrecorded offence but that the DVLA would have to be informed. Recieved letter yesterday asking me to complete medical questionaire and told I had to see my Gp for him to make the decision whether I'm ok to drive in the meantime. Saw gp this morning who stated that he felt it wasn't up to him and that he would request an urgent appt with my consultant [hospital which is 1.5 hrs away] hospital phoned back and informed me that I couldn't be seen untill mid Decemeber!!!.... I am so worried as I depend on my driving for a living, I'm a community nurse!! gp has put me off sick for a fortnight but I'm petrified If I loose my liscence I will loose my job and that means my home, have 2 young children I can't think of making them homeless. I've been diagnosed type 1 since 1996 and have never had any driving incident before what will happen to me help I'm soooooo worried crying as I write this. :(

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Sorry to hear of your mishap Bettyboo,hope every things turns out O K Xtrail Man...http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes-forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=25194#

bettyboo123

Thank you getting so paranoid at home dreading the worst...check my sugars meticously 4 times a day but it still happened, so worried as I'm the main breadwinner in our house and can't afford to keep the house if I loose my liscence and subsequently my job!!!
:( :( :(

jopar

At what point did you test your BG, was this after you'll driven and parked up to go shopping and how come you didn't take a BG before driving home?

Problem you have is that 9.2mmol/l is pretty high, and for this to drop into hypo land within an hour isn't good at all.. And I assume that you weren't aware that you were going hypo until after the accident...

I'm glad your GP decided that to pass it on to the consultant to determin what's what..

What you consultant will be looking at is several things and this will help to determine whether he/she feels that this was an out of the blue occurance or whether you are suffering from hypo unawareness or have a degree of this which effets your driving licence...

So when you go and see your consultant make sure that you have a print out and your Blood Glucose meter with you, so they can see how you manage your diabetes over all, and they will be able to see what sort of hypo awareness you probably have.

The rules have changed slightly were our licences are concerned, but if you haven't had to have medical intervention in the last 12 months, then if your licence is revolked you should vbe able to reapply for it back after a year..

Even though yes you've got a lot pending on your driving licence, do remember this accident you and your daughter were unharmed this time next time you or somebody else may not be so lucky..

@battyboo123

If you are driving then testing 4 times a day isn't enough even for the non-driver a driver should test their BG every time before you get behind a wheel of a car or on your motorbike/scooter...

sue32

Dislikes
false people
Could your blood test have been wrong? I know that if I have something on my hands and don't wash them before testing this can give a higher reading than normal. Moisturising creams are the worst for me. This is why I can't understand how yours went from a 9 to a hypo in such a short time. Could there have been another reason for the smack? Did the shock of the smack bring your glucose reading down?

Tracey69

Hi
I'm sorry to hear your story. I have been a type1 for 36yrs and I'm now 42yrs old. My licience like most type1 had to be reviewed 3 yearly, I ahve no licience now due to eye sight problems.
You have to remember that even if you were 9.2 before you went out, you had walked for 2-3 hrs i gather well i only have to do a twenty minute walk and it can lower my sugars. Perhaps you should of had a snack while you were out.
Please don't let this drag you down, i know what your saying about your job and children, your house, but there is help out there if you need it.
But remember your health comes first as your children need you.
Remember we are always here to help and don't feel a lone, in life we have all made mistakes, we weren't born to be all perfect.
Keep a log of your sugar levels and if you need any advice please feel free to contact me.
Hope all goes well
Tracey