What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@Mauriac I used to chew gum sweetened with xylitol, and now have used erythritol in baking-- the gum was fine for decades, then chewing gum gave me a bellyache. Not sure if it was the xylitol or I forgot how to chew gum! I have to limit my erythritol because it gives me tummy grumbles. Also it has a chilliness to it. I did find that that disappeared in my ginger cookies as they aged, which was nice.
@shelley262 you would call me a wimp! I have on a knit camisole, a tshirt, a light fleece pullover, and a sweater on top of that yesterday. It's warm out (but not inside), and tomorrow will be hot out, and then we get a cold front which will blessedly dry the house out and we can turn on heat if we want.
Lunch did happen, unfortunately. "Just a few pecans" turned into more, and then the cottage cheese called my name. Well, that's half my supper then. Ah well.
@MrsA2 oh dear sorry you are both sick! Can't get warm is awful!

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch: prawn cocktail followed by Greek yoghurt, chia pudding flavoured with summer fruit concentrated squash and vanilla and raspberry LC granola.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and strawberry carb killa bar.
Dinner: spaghetti bolognese with fried courgette slices instead of spaghetti followed by SF jelly, cream and strawberries.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank goodness! I've been off line since yesterday - my laptop just stopped working and Neil has spent yesterday afternoon, evening and most of today trying to get it going again. We thought it was turning out to be a hardware fault, in which case it would be a new laptop - but not for a couple of months - the car is due for MOT next month and has a couple of faults to fix first. But my clever boy finally fixed the laptop! It probably won't last for long - it is 12 years old. So I will need to look at getting another one in a couple of months - oh no, that will be in the lead-up to Christmas, so maybe not for another couple of months after that. It will just have to keep working.

Then I was supposed to join a Zoom meeting at 7.30 but first, the tablet wouldn't make the connection, then when it did, it dropped out 8 times and kept on freezing. At the 8th time the tablet turned itself off, so I gave up. Technology!

So food - the evening of 24th I made a "Tired fridge" stew and had some of it for breakfast yesterday morning. Mostly low carb veg with a little bit of bacon that needed to be used.

At lunch time I had a couple of slices of cheese - also beginning to smell a bit ripe and about half a dozen spiced roasted nuts.

Dinner was more of the stew (I made quite a lot of it). BG pretty high all day, culminating in 15.7 by bed time.

Today - just water and tea until about 1.30 and then succumbed to a couple of slices of tasteless white bread and cheese. More tea, of course, and more water.

This evening, after Em left, I roasted a chicken leg (not very big) on top of some more of the stew. There will be more fluids to take before bed.

Em was really sweet today, she came in for a visit "just because I love you Granny." We were talking about her great grannie who will be 105 next month and has only recently accepted some help from carers. In 2017 she was told she would be put on the list for c ataract surgery on both her eyes. The surgery would probably be in 2019! She told them not to bother since she was already 102 and would probably not still be alive. Bet she's fuming now! Anyway, Em's class are making a birthday card for the old lady - very sweet of them. Em explained that Granny V is very special, which is why the class were making a card for her. "but, I don't want to offend you Grannie, it's just that she is really special being so old. Not that you're not special..."

It's been very cold in the house today - not so cold outside. We try to keep the heating set at 18 degrees, but that means walking around in tee shirt, sweater and fleece. Bad enough having to put the heating on a couple of weeks ago, never mind turn it up. I'm a big softee, I bet Granny V doesn't complain about the cold. She's a tiny bird-like creature but she's a really tough little bird. Hoping that nothing else breaks down tonight, or tomorrow.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'll forget if I wait, so just telling you it's on my CMT. Didn't make them yet, baby come and gone lol. Hopefully later. Still Have to drop by Lowe's (big box hardware/construction/appliance/garden/ tractor mowers etc/seasonal sundries store) for 120' of orange outdoors mini-lights. No trick or treating door to door so I am going to set up our pop-up white nylon gazebo at the end of the driveway with pre-bagged candy on a table, interior of gazebo illuminated with orange, and sit out on the porch.
So, with Lowe's trip, may not bake

Thanks. They look wonderful. I love your Halloween ideas.

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@Annb technology. Can't work with it, can't live without it! Ugh. And poor Em, digging herself in deeper with every word lol. But what I hear her telling YOU is, you're not so old!

Mauriac

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Goonergal @shelley262 @zauberflote Thanks for all the helpful information.:)

B: Coffee with almond milk and cream
L: Tongue with a tomato, 30g of avocado. 50g of cheese with 2 Ryvita crackerbread. Another coffee.
Supper: Some macademias. Mince with French beans and spinach, 100ml of orange juice and a shortbread finger.

About 40g of carbs.

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Goonergal sorry to hear you were feeling a bit under the weather, I hope you are feeling a bit better now. Take care Mrs

@ianpspurs yes you are right, I do need a food fairy who could perhaps do some magic and cook a lot of low carb lovely tasty meals for me - meals usually taste nicer when someone else does the cooking and washing up but I appear to be head chef and bottle washer around here - I shouldn't complain too much as OH does take me out for meals often as cooking is not something he is good at.

@zauberflote Yes I do luv my candles, I find them so relaxing and cosy once the darker colder nights start and at the moment I don't have young kids or animals in the house. It sounds like your grandchild brings you a lot of happiness, I am not at that point in my life as yet but looking forward to it when it comes around.

@Annb Em sounds a little darling - your stories always make me smile - I just love how innocent kids are ...

@DJC3 may I ask by how much the carb killas bars increase your BG as I haven't tried them - thanks

Brunch - greek yoghurt with mixed berries and flaxseed and goji berries sprinkled over the top.

Dinner - 3 chicken thighs topped with a little nandos peri peri mayo with a large salad. 2 squares of Lindtt 85% dark chocolate and cup of earl grey.

Last edited:

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all,

I have to admit I am a bit envious. I checked out the DGF website and all the cakes looked really, really good -- unfortunately they don't deliver to Germany.

@Goonergal -- Hugs for feeling a bit off. Hope things are better tomorrow.
@MrsA2 -- So sorry to read that you and your husband are suffering from a cold. Get better soon.
@Annb -- Em sounds like a sweetheart.
@DJC3 -- This duck breast looks delicious, as do the shredded brussel sprouts.

Today ...

Breakfast: A double decaffeinated espresso with cream and erythritol. Half a DD keto roll with goat cream cheese and smoked goose breast. The last of the baba ghanoush and the guacamole.

Lunch: Nothing.

Dinner: Romaine lettuce with Caesar's dressing, parmesan, and croutons made from half a DD keto roll. About 100g of lamb cooked sous vide and then fried. Six cornichons. About 15g of 88% chocolate. Some dry red wine.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
Usual nut granola and me 2 CWC for breakfast.
Lunch half an avocado, ham, coleslaw, and some chicken picked of the carcass in mayonnaise. Tea.
Dinner smoked Haddock. First time i have seen it here and now kicking myself for not buying all three packets. Served mine on buttered cabbage, with a few carrots and some fresh runner beans. we are getting a second harvest of those. Thankfully it looks as if courgettes are over, plan to convert remainders into ratatouille and freeze in portions. Wine and more discussions about plans for winter. Upstairs living room makes it a long treck to make coffee etc.
Started, but didn't finish making nut granola resulting in less than optimal cooking this morning.
Bought both bacon and blue cheese but even after visiting two supermarkets no Brussels sprouts to go with them .

Last edited:

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Usual nut granola and me 2 CWC for breakfast.
Lunch half an avocado, ham, coleslaw, and some chicken picked of the carcass in mayonnaise. Tea.
Dinner smoked Haddock. First time i have seen it here and now kicking myself for not buying all three packets. Served mine on buttered cabbage, with a few carrots and some fresh runner beans. we are getting a second harvest of those. Thankfully it looks as if courgettes are over, plan to convert remainders into ratatouille and freeze in portions. Wine and more discussions about plans for winter. Upstairs living room makes it a long track to make coffee etc.
Started, but didn't finish making nut granola resulting in less than optimal cooking this morning.
Bought both bacon and blue cheese but even after visiting two supermarkets no Brussels sprouts to go with them .

I reckon with the bacon and blue cheese, it could be good with either a Savoy Cabbage or Curly Kale could work?

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All
Lovely Sunday here, sunny but chilly wind. This morning spent 3 hours working in the garden and now I hurt all over! I wish I was the sort who could garden leisurely (like anyone I ever paid to do it lol) but I just have to go for it full throttle! I am a bit pleased with myself though.
Just enjoyed brunch of two meaty sausages and two fried eggs mopped up with a teeny bit of farm shop bread.
Roast chicken this evening so lots of leftover chicken meals in the days ahead. I will have cauli and broccoli florets with mine, Mr PM has requested mash and beans. enjoy your Sunday everyone whatever you do or eat. Stay well, stay safe.

Mauriac

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It's cold and breezy here today too. I went out just before 8 and it really felt quite nippy. The car said it was 11.5 but in the wind it definitely felt colder.

We had some smoked salmon for lunch and I didn't feel I could have it without some brown bread and butter, but managed to limit myself to just one slice. I had a pear for pudding, which is about 16g of carbs so with a couple of small glasses of wine and some nuts I was over 30g. I just tested twice (which was 1 and 3/4 hour safter first bite and 1 hour after last bite) and they were 7.5 and 7.3, so not bad.

Alastair is now fast asleep in the chair and I'm getting a strong desire to eat some shortbread as I'm watching the French Open tennis. I think I'll do the washing up and see if it takes my mind off the shortbread.

Last edited:

annabell1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude people
not able to do as much as I used to do due to health issues
onions
leek
Saturday
scrambled eggs and toast breakfast/brunch black coffee went up the road after to buy remaining presents for my sisters birthday I was travelling every where and got home to fatigued to make much for dinner so dinner was sopressa salami and salad on a sourdough baguette

Sunday

breakfast 2 x boiled eggs on sourdough baguette that I saved from getting burnt in the grill haha plus black coffee

then went to my mums place to celebrate my one of my sisters birthday and they served scones with cream and jam and black coffee so had one and my BSL shot up to 11 but it was all they provided to eat. dinner my 2 sisters made dinner and made homemade German spaetzli with garlic dressing served with pork schnitzel and salad then they had an ice cream cake for my sisters birthday. so today was very carb high sweet based foods. hard to control food when you at someone's else place for a meal but they make food to hopefully get my mum to eat as she does not eat much and needs to eat soft easy foods. and was given to take home leftovers of schnitzel and spaetzli

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
FBG 8.4. That's a bit better.

Water and tea until 12.40 (and BG 11.2) and then I had a slice of toast. I was intending to put some roasted tomato spread on it (made it quite a while ago and kept in the fridge) but it didn't taste right, so I dumped it and had some soft cheese on the toast instead.

Later I will have a kind of tapas supper - chickpea and spinach on a "ricotta blini", prosciutto, and chicken wings (2) from the chicken I cut up last night (carcass now made into stock, breasts and one thigh in the freezer).

Still struggling with technology - this laptop is working, actually much faster than before and so things are shooting all over the screen and opening up and shutting down, seemingly at will. Zoom doesn't work at all on this laptop but does, after a fashion on the little Amazon Fire Tablet, but it keeps freezing and dropping out of meetings. I thought it was just Zoom, but I'm beginning to think it must be our Wifi.

DIL had bought a cheap 2nd hand laptop on the internet - same make as this one but more modern but then managed to get her original one working again, much faster than it did before and better than the "new" 2nd hand one and she was going to try to sell it again so I bought it from her to keep in hand for when this one kicks the bucket. But it is loaded with Windows 10, the software is all used from the Cloud, I think and it is impossible for me to understand. The last Windows I used was W2000, I think. Neil says he'll load our usual operating system on it though, so then it should be OK.

I did ask him if I could get my old desk top computer working (it was a very expensive one and it has been stored in his workshop for the last 10 or more years). Apparently it is too old to be connected to the Wifi and so wouldn't be any use to me. The even older one, which I bought about 15 years ago for desktop publishing - it's massive with the old style monitor measuring about 2ft by 21/2 feet, the tower is about 9 inches square by 2 feet high and even the keyboard is bigger than normal; that one is also stored in his workshop and doing nothing. I believe it is still loaded with PageMaker. It runs Windows Professional. The other one is Windows 2000.

I'd still like to get them going, if I could find desk space for them. Might have to build a special, robust desk in the lounge/junk room for them though.

Medical issues for our girls are proving a bit frustrating at the moment, but something will have to happen soon for both of them.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all.

Had an experiment in your name yesterday evening @zauberflote. Wasn’t convinced that it was even possible to divide squares of Lindt into 1/4s. Took my 2 squares of 90% and did indeed manage to break each of them into 4 (not very evenly) and then even more amazingly, managed to eat each piece slowly. There may be a way to eat it in moderation after all.

Two meals today. Lunch was mince fried with onions and 2 eggs followed by extra thick double cream and almond butter.
Dinner was 2 pork belly strips picked up on a quick outing to the Waitrose meat counter (went really to pick up a John Lewis order). Chopped them into pieces, coated in salt and chilli oil and air fried.

They have their Waitrose1 chocolate on offer - the 90% was the only one sold out. Obviously lots of people with good taste around here.

0012D92B-237C-4CE0-A309-35CE3602EBD3.jpeg

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good evening. Yesterday’s celeriac, swede and cheese tribute act was decidedly tepid and insubstantial compared to the potato original. I'm having a wake me up when September’s done theme. This came about due to Libre but needs to continue due to some unspecified bug making me very tired (yes, I'm over 65 and have read the covid guff) - temp, SpO2 and resting pulse fine if not optimal for me. I started with Libre around May 8th and took off the last one on Sept 2. In that time I needed 4 replacements and it was very unreliable both ends of the 14 days so I knocked it on the head for a while. I do use stabbo from time to time but right now that isn't helpful. I will probably use the 2 I have once flu jab has settled later in Oct then re-evaluate. Today's one meal was lamb shank with roast veggies - swede, cauliflower and a couple of toms. Used the IP - I'm not a big fan but Julie wanted one and feels it makes her life easier. She also likes lamb shanks and my objections don’t run to violence. The food was hot and I really enjoyed it but I stupidly tested after 2 hours - crazy numbers as was fbg. I learned nothing really except I'm off colour somehow and readings are suffering. Far from ideal for someone who is very sceptical about LC and test numbers. Strap yourself in son, there are dark, cold days and nights to survive. I'll deal with the results from food for autumn and winter later. I seem to have bumbled through 5 years. As regards where I live, hopefully, Bismarck’s quote plays out but wedding vows have consequences. Gotta get thru this, eh Mr Beddingfield.

Last edited:

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Brunch of 2 scrambled egss and 1 half a slice wholemeal seeded bread

Dinner was a triumph! Came home to find a whole bag of kale left unopened from last weekend (hubby and I have been away) then from garden came green beans and courgettes. Determined to use the kale I boiled it and some green beans for a few minutes then added it to the courgetes which had been stirfried with some chilli, chorizo and salami. Then I spotted the avocados that had been delivered so hard last week were now ripe but huge, so whizzed one to a sauce with some cream and warmed it through the veg with some cheese. Result was a warm, creamy, satisfying, tasty plate of green lusciousness.
Was pleased as I struggle with kale. It seems so tough and a lot of recipes say fry it but that never works for me and I keep buying it and being disappointed. Even more surprising was that both hubby and son scoffed it up too.
My son is quite fond of air frying kale with rock salt, garlic and pancetta. Comes out like the seaweed from Chinese.

Reactions: ianpspurs

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Know it’s a food thread but wanted to recommend a programme to you guys in UK it was on BBC4 but it’s still on iplayer 4 - 30mins episodes it’s called Mindful Escapes it's narrated by Andy Puddicome - the Headspace guy- and has stunning images of wildlife and nature. Anyone into photography or mindfulness or being in nature would enjoy. As I’ve been undergoing a more stressful than usual time I’ve been upping my stress management and came across this series.
Did three meals today and had a more restful day to prepare for a busy week ahead!
Breakfast one each of sausage,bacon and egg served with half a toasted chaffle
Lunch tin of sardines in olive oil with LC seeded crackers followed by 25g of Montezumas 100% choc
Dinner beef stew (using local grass fed beef - delicious- I’m lucky to live near a community run farm that rears dexter cattle in the meadows nearby so have regular order) with roast celeriac and sprouts and glass of red wine followed by DGF warmed gingerbread and cream,