remission

elsie1943

i hear a lot of talk about remission of type 2 diabetes i have had it for some 25 years but i just wondered if there is a test you can take to tell if the condition has cured itself, how do the medics know?
regards

elsie 1943

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's normally a number of HbA1c levels at non -diabetic levels over a period of time.
There doesn't seem to be much consistency my surgery finally labelled me as "in remission" after 4 years of very low HbA1c levels but at least admitted they "should have done it a while ago".

Last edited:

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
To be considered in remission you have to show non-diabetic blood sugar levels without the aid of medication (except possibly Metformin) over a certain period of time. The period of time varies from one GP to the next. GP's rely on the HbA1c test to see who has non-diabetic levels or not. We can also do regular finger prick tests ourselves at home to check what our levels are doing, but GP's will only rely on the HbA1c.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
i hear a lot of talk about remission of type 2 diabetes i have had it for some 25 years but i just wondered if there is a test you can take to tell if the condition has cured itself, how do the medics know?
regards

elsie 1943
Hi Elsie,

T2 doesn't cure itself. Remission just means -and this varies depending on whom you ask- that your numbers are good (non-diabetic HbA1c and finger pricks), you don't need medication and no complications going on. And that's not something the T2 does by itself, that's the measures you take yourself having such a positive effect. usually a change in diet can achieve this, possibly in combination with exercise. https://josekalsbeek.blogspot.com/2019/11/the-nutritional-thingy.html described low carb as a method to do this so if you're interested in going that route, give it a read.

Hope this helps. :)
Jo

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
I can be what ever I want since I’m an expatriate, I don’t think medical records are shared globally. I dislike the word remission as in some sort of smoldering cancer. I feel it’s more like a carb allergy. I choose the word, ameliorated lol