HbA1c Result

didie

Dislikes
People who think they are always right and ram their opinions down your throat. No-one knows everything. Those who shout loudest are usually the ones who actually know the least.
I'm celebrating
8df80c25.gif
8df80c25.gif
8df80c25.gif

My latest HbA1c has come back at 5.9% along with a message from my doctor saying 'very well done!'

The risk of another stroke has faded into the background *breathes a huge sigh of relief*.

Now I just have to keep it low
d3556437.gif

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Congratulations didie ... :D
Well done - its all heading in the right direction for you 'DOWN' ... YAY !!!
You're post made me smile. :D :D :D
Its great when we hear of results being so productive and successful .
Am sure it will inspire others too.
Anna.x :D

chocoholicnomore

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well done Didie :clap: :clap: :clap:

You have done really well and should be so proud of yourself.

It's great to read success stories like yours and it's inspiring for us newbies.

Keep up the good work. (and pass on any good tips)

Congrats

Marina
x

Sue o2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
well done, a gold star for you :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :thumbup:

Mothman

Dislikes
Raw tomatoes and arrogant people.
Well done,
Ime sure its taken a lot of effort, keep up the good work.

Andy

didie

Dislikes
People who think they are always right and ram their opinions down your throat. No-one knows everything. Those who shout loudest are usually the ones who actually know the least.
Thank you for your lovely comments :)

There is nothing like the shock of a stroke at the ripe old age of 53 to make you get your act together. I count myself as a very lucky person to have had a relatively minor stroke and to have found out about my diabetes really quite soon after I developed it. Blood tests in hospital last December apparently showed raised sugar levels (no-one told me - they were more concerned about removing a lump in my breast), but not at diabetic levels. I had my stroke in June and my sugar levels were really high in the tests taken then. It was such a relief to find out that the stroke was caused by diabetes rather than high blood pressure or heart problems, because that was something I could address myself and being a control freak I did.

Most people think I'm a nut when I say I'm glad I had my stroke, but really it saved my life. I've had to lose weight and get my diabetes under control to avoid another more devastating stroke. I had 7 weeks off work during which time I rehab'd myself by walking and doing balance exercises. Not being able to drive for 6 weeks helped because I got into the habit of walking. I'm very lucky because I work for physiotherapists who helped me immensely. If you met me, you'd not know I'd had a stroke apart from a slight limp, a tendency to veer to the left and when I am tired I can lose my words. I'm 97% back to full function and am thinner and fitter than I have been probably for the last 15 years.

I feel that I have control of my diabetes on my terms, rather than it controlling me.

I'm lucky :)

SparkJack

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Wow Didie you are now my inspiration. You must have gritted your teeth and worked so hard to get better. Well done and have a really good Christmas! XXX

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Well done Didie! :clap: :clap: :clap:

I really admire your attitude - keep with it!

Viv 8)

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hi didie,
Totally understand what you mean with youre glad you had a stroke [not nuts at all ]
I myself am glad I ended up a diabetic as had been skinny most of my life, took too much for granted etc and then got cocky with it!
The diabetes was a great wake up call for me as I now have more respect for my body [my body is a temple now!]
It was looking back - one of the best things to happen to me.
Much love and thoughts.
Anna.x :D

Dougie22

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Didie,

Really well done and I'm very pleased for you.

This is inspirational as I'm trying to achieve the same thing...lowering my HbA1c below 6.0 without medication. In my case, I'm struggling to maintain my motivation and have frequent "lapses" in my diet but even so I'm slimmer and fitter than I've been in years so I understand the "wake up call" reference.

Keep up the good work.

Terminator 2

Well done Didie :clap:

I'm glad your answering that wake-up call head on and seeing the benefits.

Taking the positive from your stroke was the way to go, good on you :thumbup:

didie

Dislikes
Thank you for your kind words :)

The next diabetes-related target is to get another 10 lbs or so off and see if I can get my Hb1Ac lower. I want to improve my stamina as well so am starting to amend my exercise routine to build in cardio stuff. I've brought a heart rate monitor to help with that.

Another goal is to drive down to Yorkshire to my mum's which will be a major step, but do'able. I had to rush up to Aberdeen a couple of weeks ago when my daughter was taken into hospital and I managed with no problems at all which was a major confidence boost. It is amazing how having a stroke saps the confidence out of you and it takes a while to rebuild it again.

My medium-term goal is to go back to Iceland. Long-haul flying is now out of the window following my stroke on a plane, so no more trips to California, New Zealand or Australia :( But Iceland is a couple of hours flight so I'm hoping that is going to be possible. It is my second favourite country after New Zealand.

I think that because I've had a horrible diabetic complication before I was even diagnosed I now have the massive incentive to keep going to avoid that happening again. I think about how devastated my 20-year daughter was when I had the stroke (she was terrified that I was going to die) and the look of absolute shock on my husband's face at the hospital when I failed every neurological test horribly and I just keep going. My 23-year old son's reaction just made me laugh - 'Mum, if you can't drive any more, can I have your car?' Another incentive to recover - I love my battered old car and he's not having it!

didie

Dislikes

didie

Dislikes
I got my latest HbA1c this morning and it was 40 which is 5.8 in old money.

I have to admit to being somewhat disappointed by it as I was working towards 5.6 and maybe 5.5 if I was really lucky.

However I've worked out the reason it has not come down as much as I wanted to. I think it is the cardiac workouts that I had been doing pushing my levels up, so they are out the window now and I'm concentrating on aerobic exercise now.

My doctor was at the reception desk when I got the result and she was more excited about it than I was.

shop

Well Done Didie,

Really good to hear that! You are an inspiration and should feel very proud of yourself............. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Glados

Dislikes
Courgettes.
Haha! I got 6.4 today and I was doing a little dance!!! But it is good to have goals and I'm not relaxing yet either. :wink: