Insulin resistance

Fifi26

Been having issues with my medication, nurse thinks I might be insulin resistant, anybody any help with this please

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Been having issues with my medication, nurse thinks I might be insulin resistant, anybody any help with this please

Hi and welcome to the forums.

Might need a little more to go on - what type of diabetes do you have and can you elaborate on why you think you have a problem?

Fifi26

Sorry was a bit vague,I am type 2 and have been since 2012 have been on every medication and I am now using insulin and not making any difference getting my bloods done tomorrow to see how my levels are

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. If you are T2 with excess weight, insulin may not help much, if any, due to insulin resistance. You may already have too much insulin but the body can't use it. Are you having a low carb diet? This is essential together possibly with Metformin.

Fifi26

I have stopped checking, I am not looking after myself properly and it’s no surprise that I am not improving need to get myself back into looking after myself

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Fifi26 and welcome.

If you’re interested in taking the diet route, take a look at dietdoctor.com or the low carb program on this site. The latter has a charge, but can be prescribed by GPs in the UK. Diet Doctor has a huge range of recipes, food ideas and clearly presented information.

It would also be helpful for you to read The Diabetes Code by Dr Jason Fung, where he talks about insulin resistance and how to deal with it. Much of his work can also be sourced via YouTube. Well worth looking him up.

Reactions: Krystyna23040

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The nurse suspects insulin resistance? You're a T2. That's kind of what T2 is... You make plenty of the stuff yourself, you're just insensitive to it. Put more insulin in and it won't do all that much, besides make your resistance worse.

Keep in mind that if you start a low carb diet while on insulin, the possibility of a hypo is very real. So if you're lax in testing, things could get iffy. Okay? If you're going to do this, (and believe me, it would be so worth it!), you'll have to be on board 100%. No shooting up and not testing while eating very little to no carbs, okay? Use that meter, and be safe!

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog-entry/the-nutritional-thingy.2330/ should help you get started. You'll be okay. Just keep an eye on your blood glucose eh.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have stopped checking, I am not looking after myself properly and it’s no surprise that I am not improving need to get myself back into looking after myself
Of course you have stopped trying. We all do that when what we are told to do doesn't work. It's soul destroying. As others have said, try the diet route taking care to check your BGs all the time, you don't have anything to lose and it's so much easier to.stick to something if it works.:)

Ask as many questions as you need to, that's what we are here for

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks I think that is the next step wants to refer me to dieticians so would be happy to try that
Hi again. Just be careful with NHS dieticians. There are many good ones who understand the subject but also many who sadly don't understand the best diet for diabetes. Don't worry about fat but do keep the carbs down; proteins are fine.

Fifi26

Many thanks for the great advice and am going to start a low carb plan and start testing again I appreciate it especially when you know what it’s like and what to do about it

Fifi26

Got my results back today hb1ac 67 and cholesterol 6.4 , been called in to surgery next week,but I want to stop the insulin and try LCHF by myself my mind is in the right place and I will get support from the forum

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Got my results back today hb1ac 67 and cholesterol 6.4 , been called in to surgery next week,but I want to stop the insulin and try LCHF by myself my mind is in the right place and I will get support from the forum
Good luck! I would take some advice on reducing meds. whilst you change your diet GP Dr Joanne McCormack has a good site
http://www.fatismyfriend.co.uk/
I think she might offer some useful advice from her experience with a patient low carb group.
Try and find out your HDl/triglycerides (measured as part of the cholesterol number) too as this will give you a good marker (as well as the blood sugar average hba1c).

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
hello and welcome- Would take the opportunity to red around and test before you go bak to the surgery. There are many health professionals who consider type 2 to be a progressive illness with no hope- read around here and form your own opinion. Without this site I would have believed it too.

Whatever your doctor says I think regular testing is very important.

Good luck.

Reactions: OrsonKartt

Fifi26

Good luck! I would take some advice on reducing meds. whilst you change your diet GP Dr Joanne McCormack has a good site
http://www.fatismyfriend.co.uk/
I think she might offer some useful advice from her experience with a patient low carb group.
Try and find out your HDl/triglycerides (measured as part of the cholesterol number) too as this will give you a good marker (as well as the blood sugar average hba1c).

Hi I saw the nurse today and I am stopping insulin and going back on metformin and really enjoyed website you suggested and I start my new eating plan from tomorrow and I am going to start checking my levels again .
Thanks for your help