Covid and Work, Covid Advice and General Chat

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Are you sure you are using the right figure? Possibly this is the number who have it at any one time, rather than those who have had it since the pandemic began. Allegedly around 6% of the population have had it. 5% of 67 million would be 3,350,000
Screenshot 2020-09-27 at 13.17.35.png
Screenshot 2020-09-27 at 13.17.18.png

Reactions: oldgreymare

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Discharged or not, the Mirror seems to be claiming that more people have long Covid than had Covid in the first place.
That's because many of us who caught Covid in the early days were never tested so don't count in the PHE figures. We weren't allowed health care or a test unless our lips went blue. We just had to stay at home and cope. I am not included in the figures but I know that I have long covid and I personally know *2 others like me.

Edit...*3 others like me

Last edited:
Reactions: JRT

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Discharged or not, the Mirror seems to be claiming that more people have long Covid than had Covid in the first place.
Only the official confirmed cases. Many of us who had it were never tested, and were refused medical care, like I was. We were told not to contact the NHS unless at deaths door.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Only the official confirmed cases. Many of us who had it were never tested, and were refused medical care, like I was. We were told not to contact the NHS unless at deaths door.
Yes. Later on in the pandemic they gave oxygen to patients at a much earlier stage, if we had had the benefit of that we may have recovered more fully and more quickly.

Reactions: ert

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Weekly data from PHE showed that schools and care homes were largely responsible for the new cases, accounting for more than two thirds of all positive tests.

In contrast, just 22 cases out of 772, were caused by the hospitality industry in the week up to September 20.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...ed-less-3pc-infections-week-curfew-announced/
But still schools have no changes made to the way they operate even in lockdown areas (other than masks in corridors but not classrooms!). There seems to be a blackout on reporting the issues in schools. Schools are being told not to disclose anything other than confirmed cases. Bubbles are redundant in favour of close contacts only to isolate sand still no recognition of aerosol transmission in schools other than open windows when you can which is being ignored as temperatures fall, singing and woodwind lessons!!

Reactions: Jbicheno and JRT

JRT

But still schools have no changes made to the way they operate even in lockdown areas (other than masks in corridors but not classrooms!). There seems to be a blackout on reporting the issues in schools. Schools are being told not to disclose anything other than confirmed cases. Bubbles are redundant in favour of close contacts only to isolate sand still no recognition of aerosol transmission in schools other than open windows when you can which is being ignored as temperatures fall, singing and woodwind lessons!!
Interesting regarding reporting and disclosure. I have a friend who works in a local hospital. Not as a nurse,but role working with recovering patients, including Covid. They were told they were not allowed to discuss number of Covid cases. Shes resigned.

Reactions: Jbicheno

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Interesting regarding reporting and disclosure. I have a friend who works in a local hospital. Not as a nurse,but role working with recovering patients, including Covid. They were told they were not allowed to discuss number of Covid cases. Shes resigned.
Surely in any company or organisation ordinary members of staff are not allowed to make public statements.

JRT

Surely in any company or organisation ordinary members of staff are not allowed to make public statements.
I suppose it depends on definition of public statements. Confidentiality is a massive area of training and responsibility. I suppose you would have to ask whether the same would apply to a general comment such as there seem to be more younger people suffering from alcohol related issues. You could argue transparency over covid cases beneficial as would encourage people to follow guidelines. I've had a covid related response from my GP that I found rather odd but dont want to share for personal reasons. I'm not suggesting any massive conspiracy theories, just pointing out something I heard

Reactions: Jbicheno and HSSS

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Parents are being told not to disclose or discuss their family’s status by schools as well as Teachers. Schools are not making their status known to parents and the public in a significant number of cases. Not quite the same thing.

Reactions: Jbicheno

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've had a covid related response from my GP that I found rather odd but dont want to share for personal reasons.
Obviously not asking for personal details here but I assume you add this sentence because the contents support a theory of and coordinated effort to suppress public information?

Reactions: Max68

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
it seems the government threatening parents with fines if their children dont go, and then not providing enough testing is ok then??

(sarcasm)

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
And the next great strategy is to shut restaurants and bars (in London and the North) which are only responsible for 3.2%.

Picci

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Max, please don't stop posting, this is my go to thread especially around your communications with your employers & unions etc, it's so helpful to many who are considering what to do!!! I really don't think DCUK mod was specifically on about your circumstances, it seemed to be in response to another comment. I like the fact that there are many approaches to Covid related stuff and suing an employer is certainly an option for some (those whose employers aren't as good as yours). xxx

I agree, Max, please keep posting. X

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
And the next great strategy is to shut restaurants and bars (in London and the North) which are only responsible for 3.2%.

But I do wonder where people are catching it in the first place? People were encouraged to go out of their homes to work, to school, to Uni, to restaurants and THEN they presumably went back to their homes and mingled with other homes. I think it's too simple to say bars & restaurants are only responsible for 3.2% because it is ALL connected. I don't think it's coming through the kitchen sink. Having said that I believe that the only reason they are shutting the bars etc is because they decided in August that once the schools opened they wanted to reduce the number of people out and about but didn't want people working from home either so they settled on closing off any social activities (wrongly in my humble opinion). They were happy for people to get out there but it was obvious to me that when those people went back into their homes more households were going to spread it, after all we spend a lot of time in our homes not the pub (some of us!). x

Last edited:

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
But I do wonder where people are catching it in the first place? People were encouraged to go out of their homes to work, to school, to Uni, to restaurants and THEN they presumably went back to their homes and mingled with other homes. I think it's too simple to say bars & restaurants are only responsible for 3.2% because it is ALL connected. I don't think it's coming through the kitchen sink. Having said that I believe that the only reason they are shutting the bars etc is because they decided in August that once the schools opened they wanted to reduce the number of people out and about but didn't want people working from home either so they settled on closing off any social activities (wrongly in my humble opinion). They were happy for people to get out there but it was obvious to me that when those people went back into their homes more households were going to spread it, after all we spend a lot of time in our homes not the pub (some of us!). x
I think the point is that people need to be in close contact with each other for some time rather than just casually passing someone in a supermarket (no spikes in supermarket workers apparently) or at a bar which is practising the table service, social distancing stuff.

it is understandable that the return of the students would result in large cases if you've ever been in a student block or shared uni flat but there is debate to be had on whether this is a good or bad thing given that at the start of term they will be most unlikely to be ill themselves and by the time they return home will not be infectious should granny allow them within 2 metres of her!
The other things is that we are still yet to see cases translate into many deaths given that deaths 'with Covid involved' are still a small percentage of upper respiratory disease deaths which naturally rise at this time of year in spite of the lurid headlines about deaths going up by 40% (last week from 99 to 139) but this time last year about 1200 people died of respiratory disease alone.

Max68

Well I'm beginning to wonder who to believe/trust!

Few weeks ago I spoke to a GP. Not my GP as that doesn't seem to exist anymore, just a random GP that they can fit you in with a quick phone call!

She said that I should be working at home because my Covid age was 67 and therefore I was higher risk but GP's hands were tied, blah blah, the usual stuff. So I said I was having the Individual Risk Assessment at work, (which has already happened) and could she write a letter outlining the risk as my Head seemed unaware of risk re diabetes. She said she would for £25 at it is a private letter. Fine!

After chasing it up it has arrived albeit too late for it to be of any use. The contents baffled me.

"Mr ..... is registered at ............ Surgery. He is receiving medication for type 2 diabetes. Using the Covid 19 medical risk assessment, I have calculated his Covid age, which helps us assess an individual's vulnerability to Covid19., Using this, his Covid age is 67. This puts him at a moderate vulnerability level. People in this category are less likely to develop severe disease if infection occurs."

So since her phone call I have gone from higher risk to moderate risk?! I've also done one online and indeed it does come out at 67 with her information (moderate risk, albeit higher range of, only if you leave the Hypertension off, of which she seems to have done! With Hypertension with medication it comes out at 74. Age 52 + 15 (type 2 and other HbA1c <= 58 mmol/mol in past year) + 7 (Hypertension. Covid age of 74 comes out at "High risk of becoming hospitalised and seriously ill if infection occurs."

And that cost me £25!!!!!