High carb food and my peak

static192

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So today I ate some food rice with chicken and some 2x Crossaint came to like 80grams carbs starting BG was 7.8 about 1hour 20 mins I tested on meter it reached 11.9 now after 2hour I tested it saying 11.5mmols. I'm using novorapid insulin. I inject just before I eat. I don't take basal insulin as doctor told me to stop taking it as weirdly my body doesn't need it some wierd reason. The peaks I'm seeing does it sound normal for the amount of carbs I'm eating?.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @static192 Personally I am not alarmed with a spike, as long as my BG levels are back in range 3-4 hours later then the bolus worked - I tend to find however that depending on the time of day my response to carbs can be different so in the morning I can get double figures but at night time I can stay in range. I counter spikes with either taking my bolus 20 mins before eating or going for a run/walk after eating in the morning as this is when I struggle with carbs.

Stefp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The spike for me after 1.5 hours and 2 hours would depend on whether I had dosed the novorapid (or in my case humulog) correctly - this spike for you looks like you might not have used the correct dose for the carbs you ate but like juicy says it depends what your numbers are like at 3 and 4 hours - did you drop lower than this later on? I don’t eat 80 grams of carbs in one sitting anymore as I find it too unreliable to dose for - and the spikes are too high - with carbs I find myself constantly chasing highs and lows so prefer fewer carbs these days.