searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
I started today thinking my diabetic consultant appointment wouldn’t go too well as they called a few days ago to say that it would have to be done over the phone..

There was three things on my mind that I wanted to discuss

1, change of insulin to fiasp
2, Libre/dexcom
3, possibility of insulin pump..

We had a brief discussion , and before I had a chance to mention anything she said she would inform my gp to prescribe Libre, and arrange an online course so that I can qualify for an insulin pump.

I suggested a change to fiasp and was told yes... this is my first appointment as a t1 after being changed from t2 about 4 months ago.. surprising how things change..

At least I now feel like things are going in the right direction

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I started today thinking my diabetic consultant appointment wouldn’t go too well as they called a few days ago to say that it would have to be done over the phone..

There was three things on my mind that I wanted to discuss

1, change of insulin to fiasp
2, Libre/dexcom
3, possibility of insulin pump..

We had a brief discussion , and before I had a chance to mention anything she said she would inform my gp to prescribe Libre, and arrange an online course so that I can qualify for an insulin pump.

I suggested a change to fiasp and was told yes... this is my first appointment as a t1 after being changed from t2 about 4 months ago.. surprising how things change..

At least I now feel like things are going in the right direction

Great news for your searley, and quite uplifting I'd think.

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Yes I’ve had 10 years of being left to figure it out for myself being told I’m t2.. now to actually get some help is refreshing.. that is if I survive the coming weeks ;-)

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes I’ve had 10 years of being left to figure it out for myself being told I’m t2.. now to actually get some help is refreshing.. that is if I survive the coming weeks ;-)
Great to hear you are getting the tools you need. I think us type 1s (wrongly) get more moral sympathy than type 2s. How did you get diagnosed finally btw?

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Great to hear you are getting the tools you need. I think us type 1s (wrongly) get more moral sympathy than type 2s. How did you get diagnosed finally btw?

I was talking to my consultant about coming off insulin and she said yes that’s doable.. started tablets along with the insulin all looking good

Until I saw the DVLA consultant and said maybe last time I see him.. he said no way if I was his patient he Seoul’s class me type1 immediately

So went back to my consultant pushed for more testing.. she sent me to a diabetic genetics nurse who was going to do genetic testing but she started with a cpeptide test.. the said no point testing further as while I’m still producing a small amount of insulin it’s not enough to keep a mouse alive so I’m t1

Reactions: NicoleC1971

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Wow. @searley .

That's a great result.!

My visit to the endo the other day, after seeing the DSN with my quest for a basal change & prescribed sensor, resulted in "go straight to jail. Do not pass go blah blah blah..."

In fact despite me sharing the self funded stuff via libre link which he never looked at.
And uploading results from my meter.

He pretended to work it all out looking xdrip on my phone..

I had to coach the guy as to what he was looking at..

I reckon I got a "wrong 'un."

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Wow. @searley .

That's a great result.!

My visit to the endo the other day, after seeing the DSN with my quest for a basal change & prescribed sensor, resulted in "go straight to jail. Do not pass go blah blah blah..."

In fact despite me sharing the self funded stuff via libre link which he never looked at.
And uploading results from my meter.

He pretended to work it all out looking xdrip on my phone..

I had to coach the guy as to what he was looking at..

I reckon I got a "wrong 'un."
I only see mine to get pump funding to be honest.
It seems the standard care is to review the co morbidities (heart ,kidneys) and tell us what we already know that it would be good to have less highs and less lows. Then why don't you take a statin? Me = no, cannot see the benefit. Did you look at my hdl/trig ratio? No)
Must be frustrating for an endo when the only tools you have in your kit are pharmaceutical but it seems a bit basic not to check for insulin levels before assuming a type 2 who is struggling might be type 1...
I was offered a chance to see the dietician but declined having seen her display of diabetic foods such as raisins and cornflakes; didn't fancy a discussion on carb counting!

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I only see mine to get pump funding to be honest.
It seems the standard care is to review the co morbidities (heart ,kidneys) and tell us what we already know that it would be good to have less highs and less lows. Then why don't you take a statin? Me = no, cannot see the benefit. Did you look at my hdl/trig ratio? No)
Must be frustrating for an endo when the only tools you have in your kit are pharmaceutical but it seems a bit basic not to check for insulin levels before assuming a type 2 who is struggling might be type 1...
I was offered a chance to see the dietician but declined having seen her display of diabetic foods such as raisins and cornflakes; didn't fancy a discussion on carb counting!

I was never interested in a pump.

Novo works well for me. Just need a more stable basal with a flatter working profile, so I know where I am..

The few Ds in the waiting area were given a sheet with a "pop quiz" regarding hypos & guess the carbs or would you need to bolus for cheese..

One elderly lady with her husband sat next for moral support. seemed to be struggling with the questions. Then seeking answers from her spouse who was probably about 5 years her senior..?
I felt I wasted my time on that too. Nobody collected or wished to look at it..

I normally see my GP for med reviews & such.

Nobody seems to want to engage or stick thier neck out, these days..

I went into that place better prepared than they were.. They realy don't like looking at data.
Just a quick assumption..

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I was never interested in a pump.

Novo works well for me. Just need a more stable basal with a flatter working profile, so I know where I am..

The few Ds in the waiting area were given a sheet with a "pop quiz" regarding hypos & guess the carbs or would you need to bolus for cheese..

One elderly lady with her husband sat next for moral support. seemed to be struggling with the questions. Then seeking answers from her spouse who was probably about 5 years her senior..?
I felt I wasted my time on that too. Nobody collected or wished to look at it..

I normally see my GP for med reviews & such.

Nobody seems to want to engage or stick thier neck out, these days..

I went into that place better prepared than they were.. They realy don't like looking at data.
Just a quick assumption..

I struggle basal Bolus as I have a very active job but it’s not consistent so gating basal right is a real struggle.. my bg crashes like crazy at work.. than as soon as I get home they go sky high.. I take some rapid bring it down.. an hour later is high again

At least with a pump I can suspend insulin when it comes to the heavy work but increase it in the evening... or that’s the hope anyway

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Well.. after what seemed like a lifetime waiting i had my training yesterday and walked out wearing the tandem t:slim

Even more of a surprise... they have agreed to provide the dexcom too

Now I just have to prove myself and get good control :)

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Well.. after what seemed like a lifetime waiting i had my training yesterday and walked out wearing the tandem t:slim

Wow that's great news. You must live somewhere with a generous CCG or very effective consultants lobbying for their type 1s!

Reactions: KK123

JMK1954

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good luck, searly. It's encouraging to hear of someone who gets what they have asked for. A lot of HCPs just don't realise the efforts we sometimes have to put in to sort things out, so they don't appreciate the difference a bit of technology can make.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
amazing news @searley --- do be patient with the pump as it can take a few weeks to get all the settings programmed to suit you
it took me about 6 weeks to get sorted

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

That's great. Do you know why they agreed to change you from libre to dexcom, as our CCG will only give it to those who have hypo unawareness day and night.

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
That's great. Do you know why they agreed to change you from libre to dexcom, as our CCG will only give it to those who have hypo unawareness day and night.
Good question, and not one i can answer i have been self funding the dex and was going to continue to use it with the pump..

i didn't even ask for the dex, when i was at the pump appointment she talked about the dex/libre differences, the she said your selfing funding art you... i said yes.. her response was i'll get it for you.. she said i meet the criteria, i have the pump that works with it, so they just as well supply it.

when she phoned me later that night to see how i was doing with the pump, she said she's not in today, but she would email her partner right away to ask her to get an order put together for it today

so i assume as she's in charge of the ordering etc if she says i can have it, that it will arrive...

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
amazing news @searley --- do be patient with the pump as it can take a few weeks to get all the settings programmed to suit you
it took me about 6 weeks to get sorted
Hi
yes.. and even then with my varied activity levels at work etc it may take longer to get multiple profiles setup

but even today the first day my control has been better than its been for a long time, ive ranged between 7.6 and 9 most of the last 24 hours, so over the next couple of days i will be able to see some trends and start to tweak

for the first time in years i actually went out for a couple of our without being concerned about having to carry lots of extras.. just me the pump and a pack of glucotabs.

i appreciate that for longer trips you should carry a full set of spares... but hey was nice even if just for today