What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Yesterday's food was:
one avocado with tabasco
a small amount of cabbage thoran and kidney bean curry (made by my husband, he sent a photo of the food to his Indian colleagues who were very impressed).
I don't feel hungry and feel nauseous a lot as still in the throes of Covid19.

So sorry to hear you are unwell and that you have had covid 19. A few of us on this forum have had symptoms of it, but not diagnosed and it's a miserable condition to be in. For some of us the horrid thing seems to hang on for ages (I had it in mid March - before anyone was tested) and am still getting some of the hanging on effects. Less than before but bad enough. And I'm not the only one. Take care of yourself and rest when you need to. I do hope you feel much better soon.

I had to look up Cabbage Thoran - never heard of it before. It looks so good. I can't get anything other than dessicated coconut here - could that be used instead of fresh?

Feeling a bit off myself this afternoon so I shan't make my fish stew tonight. Just going to have lots of fluids, and maybe some co-codamol, if it doesn't settle. Don't know why, all I've been doing is planting up some of my indoor herb seedlings, getting them ready for growing on in the spring. Maybe it's a developing cold.

Edit: meant to say - BG right now is 18.2. Maybe that's why I'm feeling a bit off.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hiya all I had my flu vaccination today and nurse said you’re lucky as you’re due pneumonia vaccination and it just arrived at the surgery two hours ago! I’ve refused offer of pneumonia jab for last four years since diagnosed as diabetic- when offered to me with my flu jab, simply because of my horror at the thought of two sore arms but felt today I would be foolish not to accept it. Gather pneumonia vaccination is only once in lifetime for most people ( if you don’t have a spleen you need it annually but not us type 2 diabetics. ) Anyway really hoping arms will be ok for swimming in the morning.
Wonderful swimming session today - managed to get a quiet lane so lots of de stressing back stroke, wonderful.
DGF bakes arrived first thing too so kept a couple of coffee and walnut ones out to have as pudding- just had mine - amazing. I only ordered Friday evening and they arrived today, great service.
Went for three small meals and one snack today - trying to make changes and experiment.
Breakfast one slice of bacon and one egg with half a toasted chaffle
Lunch handful of nuts and couple of slices of prosciutto followed by one Montezumas’s 100% peanut butter egg
Mid pm - after my double vaccination- another two mini eggs for a treat with my afternoon cup of weak black tea.
Dinner Chinese spices chicken kebabs with salads followed by DGF coffee and walnut cake with yoghurt.

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@Annb glad you're improving!
@bex7 I am so sorry you've got covid. I hope things look only upwards from here on.
@ianpspurs sounds like your family cares about you-- as it should be. I'm trying to find an opening to encourage MrZF to go for smaller servings, as a starter. It doesn't help that for the first 25 years his skinniness seemed invincible! He still eats like that, and I still feed him like that. Life is complicated, yes?
Lol @SlimLizzy does the tetrapak have ingredients listed on it? What's a tetrapak when it's at home?
@Mauriac I applaud your attitude!
Bfast everlovin' avocado, pecans, had to Boil My Own eggs (kitchen witch nowhere to be seen yesterday), and flax crisps/dilute soymilk. Approx 1/16 square Lindt 90%. I meant to post a pic of the tiny pieces yesterday, but will spare y'all!
Motivated for no lunch. Hoping the starving stomach will pass.
Barre class will happen
Supper MrZF will get scrambled eggs that fell out of the carton, chicken sausage, and what I call "notbiscuits", a sort of pan bread with biscuit ingredients. That appears to be toad in the hole under construction? I get the last sausage, spinach/hm dressing, and flax crisps/dilute soy. There may be peanut butter or pecans. Will probably avoid the coconut meringues; had an hour of awful nightmare-situation dreams around 5:00 this morning and maybe it was the erythritol. Or maybe it was the last Tuesday in September with an even number date and the moon nearly full with Mars above the horizon for 15 years. Who knows.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
My surgery said that for those under 65 (which includes me) but who still need to have the flu jab (also includes me) they will be doing them from mid October, the same as where you are.

I hope you continue to feel better and your cold, or whatever it is, fizzles out.

Yesterday started well, but for reasons I won't bore everyone with I ended up having a carb fest, which included at least 7 or 8 liquorice allsorts , 4 shortbread and more than half a bar of Lindt orange intense chocolate. :arghh: I'm not stressing about it though, I've just written off yesterday as 'one of those days'. I'm back on track today, which is the most important thing. Not so long ago, such feasting would have been totally unremarkable, so I am making progress.
Well done getting back on it I used to have a liquorice allsorts stress related habit - probably helped me to get my horrendous diagnosis hbac1 of 97! I’ve never bought them since but have discovered that Ricola do a sugar free liquorice sweet that I keep a small box of for when need occasional hit of that liquorice taste - one can just hit the spot but has no impact on my bg.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All
Had a ludicrous fbg today after chicken salad with avo no dressing last night. Because my A1c result has come back the same as last time (Jan) 36 I’m really not that bovered! Anyway today had my usual breakfast HiLo toast, butter, lots tea.
Lunch is an unknown but will involve cheese!
Supper will be the remainder of the roast chicken, chorizo, red pepper, tin toms & paprika which is becoming the usual Tuesday house special.
Congratulations @PenguinMum on your hbac1 you must be thrilled that it’s stayed at same very healthy level.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evenin’ All,

anyone come across Black Garlic?
It was bought by my host in error, last week, and rejected as fairly horrific (based on nothing more than its appearance.
So I offered to cook again, and have used the whole bulb! Haha! (Except the two cloves I ate while cooking - heavenly in a soft, mature, almost sweet umami way, with the look and texture of licorice).

Today’s food:

B: Bovril
S: small Starbucks hot choc n cream
L: a lump of cheese and some wafer thin ham
D: lamb mince with black garlic, caramelised onion, lemon and black olives. On tasting, I decided the lemon was too sharp for wimpy ;) non keto types, so I looked for dried apricots? No. Prunes? No. Sun dried toms? No. ended up stirring in a little mango chutney! Seems to have been acceptable though...

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks to @Rachox for the granola recipe. I finally got around to making it but only trusted myself to half the amount... i know i won't be able to resist picking if its good. It went well until I didn't read the last line about turning it every 4 minutes, then the phone rang... so slightly charred and very dark but is still tastes great!

Bit of a rushed stressful day (whoever thought 85 year olds can cope with technology should be shot!. No Nan, its not the computer going wrong if it sends your email to Francis at church instead of Frances at book group :banghead:) so just a grabbed chicken thigh and 2 tomatoes at lunch time.
D was bolognaise style mince with extra mushrooms served with cabbage. Cooked enough for 4 (there are 3 of us so one portion for another day) but left the kitchen unattended for a few minutes to return to find boys have scoffed the lot

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks to @Rachox for the granola recipe. I finally got around to making it but only trusted myself to half the amount... i know i won't be able to resist picking if its good. It went well until I didn't read the last line about turning it every 4 minutes, then the phone rang... so slightly charred and very dark but is still tastes great
I’m glad your granola wasn’t spoilt :)

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
(Skipped lunch again)
Mid afternoon: black coffee and salted caramel phd bar.
Dinner: Chilli and cauli rice followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.

Mauriac

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
B: Mug of coffee with 150 ml of almond milk, tsp of Splenda and 10 ml of double cream
L: 80g of roasted Turkey with a tomato, a bit of chicory and a drizzle of balsamic vinegar. A pear and 20g of 90% choc.
Afternoon snack: Half an M&S tortilla and 20g of chocolate
S: 30g of macadamias, home-made beef casserole, a few stewed blackberries with a small dash of cream, two small choc orange biscuits.

I'm not sure how many carbs it is as I the casserole has lots of things in it and we didn't finish it. I estimate about 65g for the day. Without it, it was about 55g.

Mauriac

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done getting back on it I used to have a liquorice allsorts stress related habit - probably helped me to get my horrendous diagnosis hbac1 of 97! I’ve never bought them since but have discovered that Ricola do a sugar free liquorice sweet that I keep a small box of for when need occasional hit of that liquorice taste - one can just hit the spot but has no impact on my bg.
I don't normally eat them but I'd bought them for Alastair and I just saw them in the cupboard and went wild whilst watching Only Connect. :D

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Monday Bed 6.7 FBG 6.8. Back on the school run. @SlimLizzy - hugs for the stresses. I'm sure everything will sort itself out. @annabell1 - that sandwich looks amazing. @Annb - they have to go drilling for blood for me too. I believe you have a Covid cluster on the WI too. Thank goodness you got your appointments out of the way.

B. TAG and a Ryvita thin with a Dairylea triangle
L. A DGF lemon and blueberry
D. I made another cauliflower rice risotto with mushroom, parsley and mozzarella balls (nice ones from M&S. Very burrata like). Served with 2 of these rissole thingies I had last week, filled with cheese and rolled in a spicy rub. 2 squares 90%.

2 things gone AWOL from the stores again - high protein noodles both Oomi & Lidl's and the High protein bread. I know I can make my own but sometimes it's nice just to have it on hand. Never mind, the Seriously Low Carb stuff should appear in the next few days.

Bex72

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
government policies that increase inequality, brussel sprouts, neighbour's karaoke at 2am
So sorry to hear you are unwell and that you have had covid 19. A few of us on this forum have had symptoms of it, but not diagnosed and it's a miserable condition to be in. For some of us the horrid thing seems to hang on for ages (I had it in mid March - before anyone was tested) and am still getting some of the hanging on effects. Less than before but bad enough. And I'm not the only one. Take care of yourself and rest when you need to. I do hope you feel much better soon.

I had to look up Cabbage Thoran - never heard of it before. It looks so good. I can't get anything other than dessicated coconut here - could that be used instead of fresh?

Feeling a bit off myself this afternoon so I shan't make my fish stew tonight. Just going to have lots of fluids, and maybe some co-codamol, if it doesn't settle. Don't know why, all I've been doing is planting up some of my indoor herb seedlings, getting them ready for growing on in the spring. Maybe it's a developing cold.

Edit: meant to say - BG right now is 18.2. Maybe that's why I'm feeling a bit off.
Thanks Ann B for your message.
My husband says that he used desiccated coconut in the cabbage thoran but only a couple of table spoons rather than half a cup. He added it in the last couple of minutes so that steam would soften it. Broccoli thoran is really good too.

This Covid isn't much fun. It is just the weirdest illness, two steps forward and four steps back. I have one child not well enough to go back to school and one that's A1 and can return later this week . All 6 of us in my home have it.

I managed to get out of bed and make a meal tonight. Low carb pizza using ground almond, eggs, parmesan and grated courgette for the base (a Caldessi recipe). The base is cooked first and then the toppings go on and back in the oven. It was a little damp so I think next time I will flip the base over to brown off the bottom too. It was tasty but very filling and I managed to eat some of it.

Sorry to hear that you've also suffered with Covid, crazy to recall the stance on testing at the time. I hope that your BG improves soon. What indoor herbs are you growing? I have salvaged some chives and parsley from the garden that I grew from seed months ago. xxx

Bex72

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
government policies that increase inequality, brussel sprouts, neighbour's karaoke at 2am
Evening all.

A bit of overindulgence here too today, but ended with a fabulous dinner.

Ate far too much Greek yoghurt, too many salted almonds and too much Lindt 90% during the working day, as well as a ‘sharing’ pack of serious pig snacking cheese (it really is moreish).

Dinner was beef brisket dry rubbed with paprika, chilli flakes, pink salt, garlic granules and pepper. Refrigerated overnight and then pressure cooked in the IP with some stock and chopped onions - all ready and waiting once work ended tonight. Delicious. Small piece left for later consumption.

View attachment 44345
That looks and sounds so good. Having a pressure cooker has changed my life. My husband is an utter foodie and will love this. Thanks for sharing. x

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks Ann B for your message.
My husband says that he used desiccated coconut in the cabbage thoran but only a couple of table spoons rather than half a cup. He added it in the last couple of minutes so that steam would soften it. Broccoli thoran is really good too.

This Covid isn't much fun. It is just the weirdest illness, two steps forward and four steps back. I have one child not well enough to go back to school and one that's A1 and can return later this week . All 6 of us in my home have it.

I managed to get out of bed and make a meal tonight. Low carb pizza using ground almond, eggs, parmesan and grated courgette for the base (a Caldessi recipe). The base is cooked first and then the toppings go on and back in the oven. It was a little damp so I think next time I will flip the base over to brown off the bottom too. It was tasty but very filling and I managed to eat some of it.

Sorry to hear that you've also suffered with Covid, crazy to recall the stance on testing at the time. I hope that your BG improves soon. What indoor herbs are you growing? I have salvaged some chives and parsley from the garden that I grew from seed months ago. xxx

Thanks for the advice about dessicated coconut. I'll do as your husband suggests and try to make cabbage thoran tomorrow.

I am growing chives, Thai basil, sweet basil, tarragon and trying to get parsley to grow for me. I planted some seeds of it months ago and all that happened was one spindly little sprout popped up and then never grew any further. I never have success with parsley - even the parsley that I bought from the garden centre to grow outdoors, hasn't done very well. I also have 3 pepper plants that I grew from one of those long thin, pointed peppers (can't remember what they are called - not the hot chili ones). They are doing very well, but it's too late this year for them to come to anything, even with the special lights Neil bought for me. But I have set aside seeds from a red bell pepper that Em was eating (she eats them like apples) and will plant them next spring.

I am ambitious when it comes to trying to grow things, but, in all honesty, I think I should give up. Being planted in, or even coming into, my house, is usually the kiss of death for plants. But I will keep going. I have already ordered some fruiting shrubs to plant in tubs for next spring. Em is keen on berries and I'm trying to grow them for her - blueberries, pink blueberries, red gooseberries, blackberries and (really ambitious this) cherries. Might try to get some raspberry canes and, later, some strawberries. I really wanted to get hold of a fuchsiaberry plant - fuchsias grow really well here - to go with the standard fuchsia berries we harvested this year and the crab apples and rosehips. I cooked those three down with some apple juice to make a concentrate last week. It is sweet but just a tablespoon goes a long way and makes a very nice milk shake for Em. There is only one supplier that I can find for the fuchsiaberry (Morgan and Thompson) but they won't supply to the Islands. I am intending to ask our garden centre if they can get one for me.

@maglil55, the cluster is in the Uists. I daresay it will come here though, given a little time. I am waiting to hear about my next procedure and am hoping that this won't put it off.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
29 09.2020
Breakfast nut granola and 2x CWC
More coffee.
Faffing about all morning, it was raining a little and I was angry that we have spent weeks working inside during an extended period of fine dry weather. That all suggestions for outside work, while its still dry, were batted aside. So now we have soggy wood piled in the woodshed, more that still needs cutting and the other roof repairs are still waiting. Weather forcast for next ten days - high chance of rain on all of them.
We do now have two comfortable guest rooms upstairs, for the guests who are not allowed to visit:banghead:...one of which is now also our living room.
Lunch, toast and pâté. Few cherry toms, they are nearly over now, tea to drink.
Took some of my frustration out on the garden. Did a bit of digging. Still uncertainty about plans for winter. Opposing courses of action needed depending on which decision is made. Last week I was filling the freezer and cupboards in case the rumours of a second lockdown become reality. This week find someone to take Cat for the winter? Might have to actually do that...in april MrSlim had two days to pack. We will need longer than that this time.
Several handfuls of granola as a snack.
Dinner from the freezer mousakka, beans and cabbage. Wine, water and coffee. Yoghurt and raspberries. Lemon tea.

Last edited:

Bex72

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Thanks for the advice about dessicated coconut. I'll do as your husband suggests and try to make cabbage thoran tomorrow.

I am growing chives, Thai basil, sweet basil, tarragon and trying to get parsley to grow for me. I planted some seeds of it months ago and all that happened was one spindly little sprout popped up and then never grew any further. I never have success with parsley - even the parsley that I bought from the garden centre to grow outdoors, hasn't done very well. I also have 3 pepper plants that I grew from one of those long thin, pointed peppers (can't remember what they are called - not the hot chili ones). They are doing very well, but it's too late this year for them to come to anything, even with the special lights Neil bought for me. But I have set aside seeds from a red bell pepper that Em was eating (she eats them like apples) and will plant them next spring.

I am ambitious when it comes to trying to grow things, but, in all honesty, I think I should give up. Being planted in, or even coming into, my house, is usually the kiss of death for plants. But I will keep going. I have already ordered some fruiting shrubs to plant in tubs for next spring. Em is keen on berries and I'm trying to grow them for her - blueberries, pink blueberries, red gooseberries, blackberries and (really ambitious this) cherries. Might try to get some raspberry canes and, later, some strawberries. I really wanted to get hold of a fuchsiaberry plant - fuchsias grow really well here - to go with the standard fuchsia berries we harvested this year and the crab apples and rosehips. I cooked those three down with some apple juice to make a concentrate last week. It is sweet but just a tablespoon goes a long way and makes a very nice milk shake for Em. There is only one supplier that I can find for the fuchsiaberry (Morgan and Thompson) but they won't supply to the Islands. I am intending to ask our garden centre if they can get one for me.

@maglil55, the cluster is in the Uists. I daresay it will come here though, given a little time. I am waiting to hear about my next procedure and am hoping that this won't put it off.
Hi Annb,
I am very hit and miss with plants. I am very good at buying trays of bedding plants and letting them die. However, it has been very hot this year and I bit the bullet and decided to grow veg in my front garden as it gets so much more sun. It was really successful but helped by having my sister living with us (awaiting divorce) as she did most of the watering and feeding. I have to work out what to do with the green tomatoes. I'm thinking green tomato and lentil curry.
I love Thai basil, I hope your seeds behave well.
Which Island are you? My husband always recalls an smazing school trip he gad to Skye. The closest I've been is probably Ben Nevis. x

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@MrsA2 when my mom was early 80's, her son in law saw fit to advise the computer repair shop to install Windows 10. And that was the end of her computer life; she who had been married to a computer designer and programmer for 49 years, until widowed. Dad was most certainly rolling in his grave!
@Annb that is very many green things growing for a self-avowed black thumb! I want to want to garden! Here we are in a long-term home again, and I've just not done much in the way of growing since the kids came along. A planter here and there, a 6x6 plot of the best cherry tomatoes I've ever eaten a couple of times.... maybe start small, right? There is very little sun in this yard, and most of the trees are very mature hardwoods older than the house, so it would be sacrilege to fell them!
@SlimLizzy, things sound so up in the air, it must be very stressful-- hugs!

Reactions: maglil55

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@Bex72 I am sorry to hear yous have the dreaded COVID - take care mrs

@zauberflote the water can be cold here even on a summer's day!

@ianpspurs I had to phone my DN and ask/fight for a blood test despite it being 18 months from the last one - and she was not happy at me asking for it and tried to put me off but I had made up my mind that I was not prepared to wait possibly another 6 months (or more) which would have been 2 years since previous bloods test *sigh* the shy kids get nothing ...:banghead:

@DJC3 I am the same with the opened packet of nuts because I know they are there I want them ..:hungry: Also, was it you who made the cabbage and bacon soup, if so, can you please share the recipe - I am now looking for low carb soup ideas

Brunch - greek yoghurt with berries and flaxseeds and goji berries also. Mug of earl grey with watered down semi skimmed milk as I like a lot of milk in my tea (baby tea)

Dinner - 2 smoked gammon steaks with melted mozzarella on top and a little pineapple. 2 squares of 90% dark lindtt and a cup of earl grey with watered down semi skimmed milk (latest experiment which I think I will be going with - less carbs and saturated fat)

I also confess to having some combo nutty mix and cheese a little while ago - I had the munchies but now feel so full.