Manager wants to see my appointment letter

Fearless36

Sure, that goes without saying, but they do have a legal right to request to see it. If you refuse to show them then they can take action (although few companies would be prepared to do that because of the negative publicity that would entail) but it has been known, but you are 100% right they cannot copy the letter without your permission and eve then, they are not able to disclose its contents.
They can ask to see it but not copy it
....hence the private and confidential printed on most hospital letters ......copying a company letter with private and confidential printed on it has had plenty of people sacked

Shiba Park

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
There is actually a positive take on the request to see appointment letters; employers have a duty of care. If such documentation is collected, it's easier for an employer to build a picture of an employees needs and therefore determine if adjustments or additional support is needed.

Shiba.

Twinkle_star

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Although maybe you could have been asked in different way for the appointment letter I don't think you should take offence at this and bear in mind if more managers particularly HR are educated in the problems then they can provide better support at work. Unfortunately it may have been her experience in the past that staff said they had appointments took time off and turned out they hadn't, therefore leading to maybe a less constructive way of asking for evidence of appointment. Also if have a problem or illness and have been open about your condition I have found (most) employers are quite understanding as long as you do all possible to manage it.

Girvo

Does it need to take all day??
I try to rearrange mine for the afternoon, or first thing in the morning so I can at least do half a shift in work, keeps everyone happy BTW I get paid for HA's not sure if you do.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Does it need to take all day??
I try to rearrange mine for the afternoon, or first thing in the morning so I can at least do half a shift in work, keeps everyone happy BTW I get paid for HA's not sure if you do.
Everybody reacts differently to the dilation drops. I normally make my appointments in the afternoon so that my OH doesn’t lose too much work - he’s self employed. When I had regular ophthalmology appointments they were always early morning so I used to take the morning off as hospital appt and the afternoon as flexible leave JIC my eyes hadn’t recovered.

joffy01582

Ask your manager if they're prepared to have you at work with impaired vision and would their insurance cover them incase of an accident

joffy01582

I usually take 4 hours hospital appointment leave plus half a shift holiday so they can't say I'm not being helpful .....and under the dad regs you're covered as it's a hospital appointment for your condition