Flu vaccination

LIAnneB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had my Flu jab on Monday...have also been booked in for a Pneumonia Booster jab next Wednesday.....i think it is sensible for everyone to have their jabs ...especially because of the situation we are in at the moment.

Reactions: Stephanie 1233

Alternative Diabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes...want to find a cure !
Im waiting to have mine this year not been contacted yet, didn't have last year as had reaction the year before then had Pneumonia ..,so little nervous to have this year , but think its important as Covid is around ..

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Im waiting to have mine this year not been contacted yet, didn't have last year as had reaction the year before then had Pneumonia ..,so little nervous to have this year , but think its important as Covid is around ..
Given what’s happening, I’d suggest chasing rather than waiting to hear

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I got an email from my surgery yesterday. The earliest I could have the flu jab with them is Oct 31st. I am glad I went to Boots on Saturday to get mine

Bapuboy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes
I was worried they would run out so as soon as availabile went to the pharmacist and skipped the doctor. Seen immediately and no worries

looks like I was right to do so.

Thank you- I will doorstep my local pharmacists.

Clementine68

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've tried searching for this but nothing came up. Is everybody having their flu vax this year. I'm not sure this time after reading around.
I'm booked to have mine done at my GP surgery this weekend after they sent me a text to book an appointment.

masonap

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celebrity pop stars, football.
I've tried searching for this but nothing came up. Is everybody having their flu vax this year. I'm not sure this time after reading around.

Absolutely and definitely yes. Already had mine, get in quick because shortages are already happening.

Rustytypin

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Had a text from my local surgery at the end of July to say they will start booking appointments from the beginning of September, booked in for two weeks ago, quick in and out, no problems since.
It’s the first time I’ve not had any reaction to the flu jab, just a slight pin-head mark. One less thing to worry about (hopefully)

Ajax

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I had my Flu jab a couple of days ago ..in and out of the health centre in ✻2 mins✻ ..my arm feels like I've been punched by a small fist ..OCD makes me 'doubt' my own memory of things ..so the 'ache' serves as a nice aide-mémoire.

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I had my flu jab day before yesterday. No problem, just a bit of a sore arm that evening but that was fine yesterday.

Years ago I was given a "one off" pneumonia vaccine. I wonder why others are given a pneumonia vaccine regularly. Is it a different vaccine?

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only

OrsonKartt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
over selling.... oh so many things are enthusiastically oversold
Hi all. I had my flu jab this year 1st year ever. At my surgery it felt a bit like a quick fit setting . Lined up outside in the rain then ushered in one side of the surgery , jabbed and out the other side - no information about which strain of flu I was being inoculated against though - does anyone have this information ?

Guitarman63

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Had mine on Wednesday. No reaction at all. Last year had the pneumonia jab too which caused a swollen and sore arm for a couple of days but nothing serious. They explained that this year's flu jab was 'quadvac' or similar, protecting you from four different strains of flu. If I had been over 65 (I'm 63) there was a different vaccine which also gives the immune system a boost. I know they are a bit short this year and my wife hasn't been offered hers yet as she has no diagnosed underlying health conditions.

They (the NHS) are offering a flu jab to everyone over 50 this year in the hope of keeping as many of us out of hospital as possible and I think they are struggling a bit with the volume of takers although they do say there will be enough to go round. They were doing the jabs in a local large village hall with lots of parking and where good social distancing could be better practised. It was a highly efficient business!

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Has anyone gone on to develop shingles after having the jab?

A friend of ours in his 80's has just been diagnosed with it a couple of weeks after his jab and my mother had the same in 2017.

Last edited:

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies

A friend of ours in his 80's has just been diagnosed with it a couple of weeks after his jab and my other had the same in 2017.
None of us, in our household. Little one had his sniff sniff one mid week with no side effects not even a temperature.
Myself I got a quick temperature and sore arm due to having mine with a B12 jab.
Older boy has had a suspected flu last month and suffered badly but even though he's a carer we haven't had him inoculated, yet. He does qualify but may not be worth it and someone else may benefit from it more. Their dad at home qualifies to as a carer but he's refusing it. Macho pride, I think. Or fear of the needle. (he witnesses the large needle for my B12).
If I hear of any of my elderly friends/neighbours suffering I'll report back @bulkbiker. :)

Reactions: oldgreymare

oldgreymare

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Commuting, overcrowded spaces, especially after the arrival of covid-19...
Had my 'flu jab last Saturday - GP surgery was only open for this. Whole process finished in a couple minutes. Slightly sore arm for one day, never experienced anything worse in previous years. Had pneumonia shot last year - don't remember any side effects.

stu60

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

A friend of ours in his 80's has just been diagnosed with it a couple of weeks after his jab and my mother had the same in 2017.

Shingles tends to surface when your immune system is low or under duress could be the flu jab was enough to allow it to erupt. Having had it myself I can honestly say the most painful experience in my life, I hope he has a speedy recovery.