Ozempic

Josie66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes!!
Been on metformin for 18mths. Now been told I need to have a second medication. Practice Nurse has prescribed Ozempic weekly injection. I know little about it apart from reading about terrible side effects..now worried that these side effects will affect me during my 12 5 hr shifts ( midwife)
Can anyone offer advice re this medication. Not sure whether to use it but do need to lose a lot of weight and A1C is high

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
What is your a1c results?
The side effects of prolonged high bloods are significant and a progression to insulin can happen, but taking control is possible!

Many of us have had significant improvements by looking to low carb as a dietary change. Maybe there are other options you can do outside of increasing drugs

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What are you eating in a typical day please?

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
If possible I would have a low carb diet with enough fats and proteins to keep you feeling full. This may enable you to lose weight and avoid the injection.

Reactions: Josie66

Josie66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes!!
What is your a1c results?
The side effects of prolonged high bloods are significant and a progression to insulin can happen, but taking control is possible!

Many of us have had significant improvements by looking to low carb as a dietary change. Maybe there are other options you can do outside of increasing drugs

My A1c was 91
I've been trying to do lowcarb but I do eat the wrong foods aswell because I just eat what I can get in work or eat after my shift when Im starving.

Josie66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes!!
What are you eating in a typical day please?

Scrambled egg and brown toast breakfast
Ham or chicken sandwhich with salad for lunch usually have crisps skips
I have pasta/ chicken oven chips ( depends what the kids fancy for tea)
Then I snack on the wrong things
If its a work day..often have to get something on way home from work if not had a break
I know what I should eat but I often go off track hence the reason I'm being prescribed the new meds

Josie66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes!!
If possible I would have a low carb diet with enough fats and proteins to keep you feeling full. This may enable you to lose weight and avoid the injection.

Thanks. I have done low carb but never stick to it

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks. I have done low carb but never stick to it
It's not easy but essential. Some examples. Have eggs and bacon for breakfast without the toast; have 2 x eggs etc if you want but no toast. Have thin sliced wholemeal bread if you do have sandwiches. When I was working I used to make a few dozen tuna & wholemeal bread sandwiches, store them in the freezer and take a pack to work each day. We all do eat the wrong things from time to time but try to focus on each meal. Cheese is always good and so are berries from fruit and nuts for snacks. It's not easy with the kids meals and I don't have an answer for that!

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It's not easy at first. I went keto. The advantage of this is you get through the carb addiction and your appetite completely disappears. If your into baking there are all sorts of things you can do. Muffins? Get the kids involved. Have a look at dietdoctor.com. You can have pizza using fat head dough. Mega fast luxury chocolate mug cake. Nuke for 90 seconds serve with double cream.

Living-by-the-beach

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Been on metformin for 18mths. Now been told I need to have a second medication. Practice Nurse has prescribed Ozempic weekly injection. I know little about it apart from reading about terrible side effects..now worried that these side effects will affect me during my 12 5 hr shifts ( midwife)
Can anyone offer advice re this medication. Not sure whether to use it but do need to lose a lot of weight and A1C is high

Hi @Josie66

How did (or are you still) getting on with Ozempic? I'd love to hear how this new drug worked for you if you are okay with sharing information about it..

Thanks

LBB