What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Finally got to see a physio/sports injury guy today. I have a back that has been twinging off and on for nearly 2 years now and after it really hurt a couple of weeks ago, bit the bullet and decided to pay. Verdict was its actually my hamstring where it attaches to the spine so devising some exercises. He also said I was "tiny" which has never been used to describe me before and "flexible and hypermobile in the hips" and that I have low blood pressure... I did look around but there was no one else there so it was me he was talking about. Wonders will never cease :happy:

Hungry day today so
2 scrambled eggs for breakfast
lunch Hm broccoli soup with added avocado and blue cheese
Dinner leeks cooked in cream and butter with bacon
Inbetween far too much of @Rachox chocolate granola, which even burnt, is far too tasty

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
Breakfast. Nut granola, 2x CWC
CWC
Spent far too much time on laptop writing a sad sob story(totally true ofc) to go with pic of Cat. Anyone want a link? Hoping/not hoping the charity will be able to find him a home. Visiting vet again tomorrow to get Cats ears looked at. And to ascertain his reproductive ability. The charity will not rehome unless he is confirmed as neutered.
After lunch more relocating stuff to upstairs, in preparation for bathroom fitting, then a bit of log splitting, very satisfying to be able to wield the axe with force. Got nearly all the wood under cover now. Although still some lengths left for cutting. About 10 mins digging, wanted to finish the area started yesterday, but weather decreed otherwise.
Dinner reheated moussaka, carrots and a dish of mixed cabbage and cauli. Wine, coffee and lemon tea.
@shelley262 hugs for the sore arms but glad for you that's all it is. MrSlim had two days in bed after flu and pneumonia jabs on the same day. That's almost unheard of!

@Annb hope you feel better today and that you get some good news about your grandaughter.
@Mauriac cabbage Thoran is a Keralan recipe. The Keralans are blessed with many coconut trees and use them in near enough everything. They even make a coconut alcohol product known as toddy from the flowers. This takes only about a day to make and is extremely potent, becoming stronger as the day goes on. Drinking toddy can be dangerous - it's known that bad toddy can cause blindness, but there are still queues at every toddy stall in the morning.

Last edited:
Reactions: maglil55

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@SlimLizzy from my experience with 5 male cats over the years, neutering them all at about 10 months, if you look under the tail and see anything, Cat is still a tom. Neutering is not difficult, not expensive compared to spaying, and young cats don't even know they had surgery (in my experience).
I am jealous of you! I have never had the nerve to split wood. Must be my flute player fear of fast-moving sharp objects!

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all,

Hugs for the sore upper arm and dthe stressful times, @shelley262.

Today ...

Breakfast: A double decaffeinated espresso with cream and erythritol.

Lunch: Half a DD keto roll with mayonnaise and smoked salmon. About 25g of 88% chocolate.

Dinner: Half a DD keto roll with mayonnaise with gouda. A bit of the boeuf bourgignon. Some dry red wine.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Didn't make the cabbage thoran today after all. Started feeling grotty again and didn't eat anything until about 8.30 this evening, when I just threw a couple of sausages and some mushrooms into a pan and left them to look after themselves. Tomorrow, hopefully, will be a better day.

Em came in from school and she made her apple strudel - I helped her peel and chop the apples. She's still not totally reliable with a sharp knife. She chose ground ginger to go into the apple mixture and put half a tub of cake crumbs in (about 3 fairy cakes-worth) and a couple of (her) handfuls of raisins. Probably rather a lot of sugar - she just kind of dolloped it in (she's going to be my style of cook). Shop bought filo pastry wrapped it all up and I put it into the oven for her. Unfortunately, it was still baking when Mum and great granddaughter arrived to pick her up. Both children were entranced by a fairly big, red, origami dragon Neil had made for Em.

Latest news of elder granddaughter - she has been bleeding (not sure how much) for the last 2 days and the doctors say they don't know if it is her or the umbilical. As before, they are keeping an eye on her and waiting...

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning All! :)

fab food day yesterday.

B: none cos I got up too late to bother
L: chicken livers with garlic and cream (leftovers again today)
D: chicken breast stuffed with Boursin, wrapped in bacon and roasted, with Herbs de Provence.

needless to say, we were out for the evening meal! Lol.
Will do that chicken myself once I get home.

Bex72

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
government policies that increase inequality, brussel sprouts, neighbour's karaoke at 2am
The special lamps Neil bought for me seem to have helped the indoor plants - apart from the parsley. Maybe that has been the problem all along - low light levels. One day, I will manage to grow things indoors. Outdoor plants seem to do allright, which is why I have ordered all the fruit bushes. They will be grown in tubs - probably an issue in itself, because we are surrounded by grazing land and the grass/weeds just keep spreading into our garden and smothering everything planted - other than montbretia, willow, ferns and other tough plants. Even the mint was strangled.

Our Island is the Isle of Lewis - the most northern of the Outer Hebrides. It is soggy for much of the year but we have big skies. The land is fairly low lying and we can see a whole lot of sky at all times. Can't see much else when it's raining, of course. We have a saying here - if you can see the mainland, it's going to rain; and if you can't see it - it's raining already. A bit unfair, we do have our good days and it's actually been drier these last 2 or 3 years, than normal.
You must have the most amazing views, it sounds idyllic. We live a few miles away from RHS Hyde Hall Gardens, which I believe is reported to be the driest place in the UK. We have to do a lot of watering to keep the garden alive. There were a few casualties this summer. I built a raised garden in the front garden this year and had courgettes, cabbages, chillis and tomatoes growing. I will get a frame and netting next year as the cabbage whites spotted my cabbages. It seemed odd having it by the front door and driveway but it is the sunniest spot.
The lamps sound perfect. I hope they allow you to nuture your herb seedlings. It is so expensive to buy fresh herbs.
I have chard that I grew from seed on my window ledge. I never got around to planting it out. It is ready to eat ....I will have to work out what do with it.
Good luck

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
Two cheat days in a row, yesterday I had crab legs and beer. Today fish and chips and a huge slice of birthday cake. I can literally feel the sugar coursing though my veins as I spike. Waiting for the crash lol.

Reactions: KK123 and maglil55

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Tuesday Bed 6.2 FBG 6.4
@shelley262 & @DJC3 - That is a good idea to mix the DGF boxes.
@ziggy_w - I use frozen cauliflower rice straight from the freezer. I start by softening chopped onion or shallots in butter then I add the cauli rice . If I'm adding mushrooms I fry them off in butter & parsley separately and keep them to one side. Season the cauli rice/onion with salt & pepper (sometimes I add chilli, it just depends). Start adding stock while the cauli is still frozen. Like risotto, add it slowly and let it absorb the stock. I use different stocks depending on what I'm making. I usually have about 1/2 of one of these large "hug mugs" filled with a strong hot stock. Keep adding gradually until you get a texture you are happy with. I find it's between 5 - 10 mins. Add the mushroom mix (or whatever else you are using) then the mozzarella. Mix through and let the mozzarella melt. Alternatively, you can use parmesan and a touch of cream. It's wonderfully variable and a lot quicker than "normal" risotto. I use a wok with a lid. At the early stages I add stock and put the lid on and just watch. As it absorbs stock I keep the lid off and give it frequent stirs.
Tuesday
B. TAG and a couple of Ryvita thins with a little pate and M&S whipped cheese.
L. DGF lemon & blueberry
D. Chicken escalope with a curry coating with lettuce, avocado, tomato & mozzarella salad. Scoop of Halo Top strawberry cheesecake with raspberries.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
:woot: for A1c - aren't they rarer than hen's teeth these days? Enjoy Tuesday's plat du jour
I'm still trying to find out how mine is going to be done on the phone! Even getting the surgeries to answer the phone is an achievement.

Last edited:

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Evenin’ All,

anyone come across Black Garlic?
It was bought by my host in error, last week, and rejected as fairly horrific (based on nothing more than its appearance.
So I offered to cook again, and have used the whole bulb! Haha! (Except the two cloves I ate while cooking - heavenly in a soft, mature, almost sweet umami way, with the look and texture of licorice).

Today’s food:

B: Bovril
S: small Starbucks hot choc n cream
L: a lump of cheese and some wafer thin ham
D: lamb mince with black garlic, caramelised onion, lemon and black olives. On tasting, I decided the lemon was too sharp for wimpy ;) non keto types, so I looked for dried apricots? No. Prunes? No. Sun dried toms? No. ended up stirring in a little mango chutney! Seems to have been acceptable though...
I first came across black garlic on Masterchef. Morrisons stock it now. It seems to be the latest "cheffie" thing to hit the streets.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I first came across black garlic on Masterchef. Morrisons stock it now. It seems to be the latest "cheffie" thing to hit the streets.

Does it taste any different to the ordinary stuff, or is it just the colour?

Reactions: maglil55

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dinner was unexpectedly early today, as it cooked more quickly than I had estimated.

Schweinshaxe und Saurkraut, aber ohne Kartoffelpuree.

Very yummy, and ate too much crackling, but heck. Whilst the leftover meat and bones will go for stock, the crackling? Well .....
IMG_1601571193.041652.jpg

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That looks yummy @DCUKMod

Ate 3 meals today.

Breakfast was Greek yoghurt with 2 squares Lindt 90%
Lunch was Nando’s - 5 wings and halloumi
Dinner was oxtail - used the leftover gravy from the beef brisket to cook it in. Delicious.

2C090F69-299B-4092-A2D4-5E695B2226A6.jpeg

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good evening all. Stopped sleeping before 5.00 am - my body keeps forgetting there is a war on woke. A day of immense blessings from grandchildren versus LC food. The Almighty does seem to have overcompensated there.
B= 3 x 800 mls mugs of Assam tea with almond milk - 1 with 2 x tsps inulin and joy from 2 Granddaughters. Snack: - after playtime at the park with the gals - yes, I know when I’m blessed; 800 mls CWC and Monin SF caramel syrup. Lunch : Pastrami, cheddar, celery, cucumber and walnuts - sort of ploughpersons. Main meal - 3 grandchildren here, more blessings: Mackerel and avocado salad with the spiffing vinaigrette and seeds - not quite the Glilette meal, that comes tomorrow. You’d think there might be some nutrients in there somewhere.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all the arm which had pneumonia vaccination was much better today took two paracetamol before my swim - as still a bit painful first thing but after I had stretched out doing alternate lengths back stroke and breast stroke it’s really really calmed down. Phew back to my usual self and better able to deal with my responsibilities.
@SlimLizzy interesting to hear about mr slims reaction to having flu and pneumonia vaccination at same time too - yesterday I really wasn’t quite right felt as if my battery had run out as well as painful arm but head much clearer, more energy and normal today.
Breakfast one each of bacon rasher, egg with a mushroom and half a toasted chaffle
Sometime early/mid pm two handfuls of mixed nuts, a few lc seeded crackers and two montezumas 100% mini eggs whilst out caring
Dinner pork chop ( cooked with butter, sage and lemon) with stuffed mushrooms and celeriac chips with glass of dry white wine mixed with soda water followed by DGF chocolate and raspberry brownie with yoghurt and a few garden berries. ( almost last ones but think have a few more days worth left on the raspberry canes)

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
FBG 11.1.

Note to me - don't make promises, not even to myself. No cabbage dish cooked today either. Just sat in the chair most of the day(after my cleaning lady left) and felt sorry for myself. Slept a lot too.

Finally stirred myself around 5 and realised that I had to use to fish mixture because it was on its use by date.

So - no cabbage and coconut today. I also realised that a red cabbage that had been in the fridge for a week or so was a bit worse for wear so I took some time to shred the useful parts of it and will have to use it tomorrow, or just blanch it and freeze it - I could do that.

I stir fried the fish with some onion and garlic. Had it with lemon. Couldn't finish it. There was enough for 2 there. Could have it for breakfast tomorrow, I suppose.

Also found some celeriac hiding behind the red cabbage so felt I had to use it as well and made celeriac dauphinois - just took it out of the oven and it's looking good. The food processor came in very handy for that and the cabbage. Too much there for me to have in one meal, of course. I'll have to use some more of my little freezer boxes and stack it all away in the freezer tomorrow.

Em didn't come in after school today, so I still have her apple strudel in the fridge. She'll have to come soon because she also left her new winter jacket and her water bottle. Must give them a call tonight to make sure.

Not planning to do anything this evening, except go to bed.