What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good evening all. Not everything about this WOE has a downside for me. Without LC I would never have eaten so much celery, radish, chia seeds, flaxseeds, tinned mackerel and salmon fillets. Most of all, avocado and ACV with mother as I was a balsamic only guy before. I would have undoubtedly drunk just as much tea, eaten as much salad and never known I hate the taste of eryith (can’t even type that word; it is why I can’t tolerate DGF products which are so close to what I want at times- heartbroken over millionaires shortbread). B= 3 x 800 mls mugs of Assam tea with almond milk - 1 with 2 x tsps inulin Snack: - after flu jab Soya latte @ Brandon Country Park. Lunch - 14.20 hrs: 2 slices (100 gms) Mestermacher toast and butter (7.5 ? gms carb, 14 gms fibre:):)) + 1 x 800 mls Assam tea then 1 x 800 mls CWC @ SF caramel syrup - row, row, row your boat time with 2 granddaughters :):):); Main meal oh, so Gillette, Salmon and avocado salad with the spiffing vinaigrette and seeds - more blessings. There should be some nutrients in there somewhere. @zauberflote I eat my share of avocado- at least 1 per day.

Last edited:

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Cabbage thoran hasn't happened. Blanched red cabbage is in pots on the table, ready to go into the freezer. Might just do something with one of those. The white cabbage is still doing fine in the fridge and will last another few days yet. I think I will make a frittata with some of the red cabbage.

Haven't been able to get an appointment with the podiatrist - it's nine months now since my last appointment and I have only been able to hack at my toenails at the extreme end of my reach, and therefore not make a good job of it. I did ask Neil (unwillingly) to help me some time ago. He agreed but never actually did it - hence my hopeless efforts. So I asked him again today and he actually did it. He's still angelic in my eyes - it's not a job I would wish on anyone. Not that I have anything wrong with my feet - other than fast growing nails. I'll be able to get my shoes on now.

dragongirl

I'm sure someone will have mentioned this somewhere at some point, but this week I've been eating www.Lizza.de (or www.lizza.net according to where you live) low-carb bread. I really like it although I've adjusted how they say cook it (we are used to making bread, though not for me these days, and we need fan oven timings anyway) and the result is lovely. And after low-carbing as a type 2 for 11 years (and keeping my sugars on the 5% bench the whole time) I'm delighted to have something on which to put toasted sardines or mackerel or just eat with butter and a salad or whatever. So I thought I'd mention it in case anyone hasn't come across it yet.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and a few dark chocolate brazils
Mid afternoon: black coffee and strawberry carb killa bar.
Dinner: prawn cocktail, coleslaw, leafy salad and pork scratchings followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am going to have to figure out how to combine avocado, pecans, eggs, and flax meal into a muffin, so I can eat a much less messy breakfast on go-to-grandson's-days.
That sounds like a keto egg muffin to me. Try 6 eggs beaten with some flaxseed meal, add chopped avocado (not too much perhaps a half or a small one) some chopped pecans, grated cheese (optional) then put into muffin/bun try, lined with paper cases if you have any and bake for 15-25 minutes or until cooked through. These can be eaten cold. This should make 3-6 depending on the size of yourtins/cases
They are just a version of a frittata or tortilla or omelette but without potato and with other additions and flavourings, cooked in individual case/tins and served cold. When we were in New Zealand last year every cafe had theri own version on sale as a healthy bread free option and I've made them a few times at home since. Not an exact science but easy to play around to find some you like

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
no adverse effects after last nights fathead pizza- had thought it might be too rich for digestion

B ff greek with choc granola
L cheeses, olives, artichoke, 1 tomato
Mid afternoon 1 tiny piece of cake, bite of yoghurt and cream
D chicken casserole with green beans

Very wet here. Got the dogs walked first thing and since then thye have refused to go out!

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Washing out and almost dried today - nice fresh autumn day here BUT I think for the next week it's to rain every day - oh no! Probably managed my 10,000 steps too but I don't like walking in the rain so can't promise anything for the next few days ...

Brunch - 2 boiled eggs mashed up in a cup with butter and a mug of earl grey

Seriously low carb loaves and rolls were eventually delivered by royal mail - I was out looking for the postie today and my delivery so ...

Dinner - 2 slc rolls on burger with onions, mushrooms and cheese on top (lovely) and a large glass of pepsi maxi - happy days

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
Breakfast nut granola, 2 CWC
Lunch Ham and egg mayonnaise on pain Kapnor toast. Guessed the carbs yesterday, it is about 15 g for two slices.
Tea to drink
Cat to vet, microchipped ( that looks painful, it's a big needle) and rabies jab. Didn't make any fuss in the car. But shot out of the box and disappeared into the hedge when we got home.
Several hours, tea ( and biscuits) later he is back as if nothing had happened.
Dinner cod, ratatouille, roasted cauliflower with turmeric and celariac chips.
Wine ,coffee and lemon tea

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@dragongirl I'm going to look for that here in US! Anything with flax as the first ingredient is just my style! PS I dragged out my college German and surprised myself. They steal so many buzzwords from English!
@MrsA2 that sounds like the tuna melt muffins I've made. each breakfast has to have half an avocado, a handful of pecans, 6 tbsp of flax meal, and no more than two eggs. So it will all be in the twist of the wrist
@SlimLizzy rabies shots have never affected my cats. It's when they get three different vaccinations at one time that the older ones have had a lethargic day or two. Cat should be fine!
Speaking of cats, @Antje77 where are you?

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all. A manic few days regarding completion on our old house. Stress right up to the last minute, and there is still an unknown car parked on the drive. We assumed it was the new owners cheekily parking there all week. They assumed it was someone we’d told to park there. It was neither of those things so heaven knows who it belongs to.
Dinner out yesterday evening- already planned with a friend who is in Cornwall on hols. In a celebratory mood by this time so pushed the boat out and had way too much Champagne ( @Chook I banked a TT day from last month for this, back onto Sober October now)
Food was scallops to start, then half a lobster with garlic butter and salad.
Lunch H/m mackerel pate with seedy flaxseed crackers.
Breakfast/brunch in the car was an Aldi nut bar 5.6 g carbs, and very enjoyable.
@dragongirl that bread does look good, especially the walnut loaf, but 23g carbs per 50g slice?

dragongirl

@dragongirl that bread does look good, especially the walnut loaf, but 23g carbs per 50g slice?[/QUOTE]

I rejected the idea of the walnut loaf for said reasons! The plain (flax) one is fine. Besides, I have walnuts at lunchtime with blueberries and cheese - and a small glass of red wine if I feel like it!! Wouldn't want to eat walnuts all day. Just had two hard boiled cold eggs and mayo, with slice of Brot and will last till lunchtime :) I don't think I could last all afternoon on just an Aldi nut bar, though it sounds good to look into! You're obviously made of sterner stuff than me!

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Speaking of cats, @Antje77 where are you?
I'm right here and doing fine :)
It's just that this is a thread on food, and sometimes I have a chatty streak and enjoy telling you what I eat for a while (and squeeze in all sorts of off topic stuff :D), and sometimes I don't feel like writing (or adding food descriptions to make my stories fit in this thread).

I did discover a new kind of bread at 3.8 gr. carbs a slice, which I enjoy very much! It's not at all like our traditional Dutch bread, which prevents me from comparing it with the bread I love so much, so I can simply enjoy it for what it is :)
It tastes like something between a seeded German sour dough bread and German schwartzbrot, both of which I like. They're small and thin slices, but very dense.

I've also eaten a lot of different cheeses, but I'm struggling with my midnight snacks. I have been eating pork scratchings (and/or nuts/chocolate) before bed for a few months but now I don't enjoy them much anymore. I'm trying to come up with something new I like before bed, but no luck so far.
What I really want is chicory leafs with hummus again. I've eaten this for years before bed and I love it. The problem is, now they make me cry every time I try. My old dog died last december, and eating the chicory in bed is completely connected to sharing my hummus with him. I have really tried to get over this by forcing myself to eat it for a couple of weeks last march or april, hoping I would start enjoying it again but it didn't work.
What makes it worse is that when it was time for him to go, the vet came over to my house and the first injection hurt a lot so I needed something quick to get his mind off his sore bum, and the hummus was the closest thing on hand. It worked like a charm, so he went while licking out the tub and laying in my lap.
So I'm afraid my beloved hummus is forever connected to missing Hidde. Stupid brain.

The cat with the broken leg is doing very well, except for wanting out of his room. The leg is crooked, but he uses it, and today I had a good feel around the funny bump where the bone now makes a weird angle and I couldn't find any movement, so I think it's healing, despite him being way too active! :)
We're halfway to the 5 weeks which was recommended as a minimum to keep him locked in to prevent him from making sudden movements, and it gets harder to keep him in everyday.

Today I'll have a slice of bread with butter, marmite and two different cheeses, and for dinner will be Brussels sprouts with blue cheese again. Someone here mentioned adding walnuts, which sounds perfect :hungry:. I'll have a sausage with mushrooms and onions to go with it :)

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
So good to hear your voice @Antje77 ! I am truly sorry about your beloved Hidde. I do understand how that can ruin a food forever. You present a very sweet image of his "going out". And Maartje' leg sounds exciting to me. If I ever have that problem, I will remember Maartje!

annabell1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude people
not able to do as much as I used to do due to health issues
onions
leek
Friday Breakfast paleo granola with coconut kefir

An early Dinner left over quail and potatoe casserole a spoonful of tabelah and fattash salad.
Handful of dark chocolate bullets

Got hungry later through the night sourdough baguette with butter which didn't help my BSL in the morning

Saturday 2 poached eggs 2 rashers of bacon 2 slices if sourdough bread toasted with butter and black coffee.

Was a lovely sunny day perfect for some pruning in my garden whilst pruning a baby possum was disturbed and run across the fence the possum was not impressed by the look on its face .. then for dinner I made Lebanese bread to make some Maneesh- which are Lebanese flatbread which are topped with thyme herbs and sesame seeds mixed with olive oil and I served with some FF Greek yoghurt. Been overindulging in bread lately but love my sourdough bread.... anyone know if there is a recipe for a sourdough keto bread?

After dinner my body was so sore from gardening and making the maneesh so had a hot shower and took some panadol osteo which helped settle down my pain but still quite sore. This also resulted me in eating a snack size violet crumble bar and some dark chocolate bullets......

So daylight saving starts tonight here down under and there was a lot of discussion about if we should have it with covid-19 for some reason they think it should be cancelled because of covid-19! why no idea I'm still scratching my head about it.
20201003_182043.jpg
20201003_174648.jpg
20201003_171847.jpg

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Change of season seems to have me looking everywhere for my gruntle. This arrived today - 4 lovely tops - so gruntle or not someone benefited. B= 3 x 800 mls mugs of Assam tea with almond milk - 1 with 2 x tsps inulin Snack: - 800 mls CWC +SF caramel syrup; Lunch: Mestermacher corned beef and French mustard sandwich with naked leaves + 2 pint mugs Assam tea. Main meal: Type of meal that is cooked but not hot IMHO. Roast chicken, roast veggies - mushrooms, mini toms, fennel, cauliflower and lowest C gravy I can deal with flavour wise. Glass of red wine to mitigate the worst of any spike - gravy?. Not happy with compromise food wise but relationship wise it was definitely the right thing to do. I can’t allow there to be 3 of us in this marriage, me, Julie and my WOE. Food has gone nowhere towards satiating me but whatevs. May I say I’m sure You've all done very well especially you with that flatbread @annabell1

Last edited:

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
@annabell1 that is so bizarre considering cancelling time change for covid! "Let's just keep everybody more discombobulated than they already are!
I have a keto "sourdough" bread recipe, haven't made it.
IMG_1601744030.636097.jpg

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Last edited:

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
@ianpspurs thank you! for posting your link to the garment workers. I have never heard of that. Is the clothing "true to size" can you tell from your experience?
And how, in your opinion, is roast chicken, gravy, and roasted veggies (all roasted things being made so by heat, I seem to recall) not "hot"?
Saturday
Bfast avocado, pecans, 2 boiled eggs, 1/3 square Lindt 90%, flax crisps/dilute soy
Lunch cottage cheese, cherry tomatoes and probably pecans
Supper hmmmmm tuna something? Spinach/hm dressing, flax crisps/dilute soy
Today MrZF went off 100 miles to our house that weeps and pleads to go on the suddenly very hot market, to do some yardwork associated with the homeowner's insurance inspection. I get to stay home (guy's day alone, he deserves it!!!!) and wash mountains of laundry, a week's worth of dishes, make a couple of meatloaves in honor of fall, and maybe play some more with the orange mini-light strings on the front porch. What I really want to do is sit in the sun porch and read!

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@ianpspurs thank you! for posting your link to the garment workers. I have never heard of that. Is the clothing "true to size" can you tell from your experience?
And how, in your opinion, is roast chicken, gravy, and roasted veggies (all roasted things being made so by heat, I seem to recall) not "hot"?
Saturday
Bfast avocado, pecans, 2 boiled eggs, 1/3 square Lindt 90%, flax crisps/dilute soy
Lunch cottage cheese, cherry tomatoes and probably pecans
Supper hmmmmm tuna something? Spinach/hm dressing, flax crisps/dilute soy
Today MrZF went off 100 miles to our house that weeps and pleads to go on the suddenly very hot market, to do some yardwork associated with the homeowner's insurance inspection. I get to stay home (guy's day alone, he deserves it!!!!) and wash mountains of laundry, a week's worth of dishes, make a couple of meatloaves in honor of fall, and maybe play some more with the orange mini-light strings on the front porch. What I really want to do is sit in the sun porch and read!
Clothes appear true to UK size - I usually buy large unless going by neck size - I have a long back (and large neck). That type of food is tepid rather than hot IMHO. Roast or jacket potatoes are hot.

Last edited:

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evenin’ All!

on the road v early this morning, with a drive thru hot choc (full carb) to fuel the 2nd half of the journey.
As usual, I have left something behind.
Last time it was underwear :bag:
This time it was the jacket and rather lovely silk chiffon infinity scarf I made 2 weeks ago. :mad:
I’m sure there is some deep psychological explanation about why I shed belongings like this at every opportunity, but since I’m not really curious about it, I will just wear another coat for a while :D:D:D

Once home, to MY fridge and MY kitchen, I had chicken soup for lunch, and I have ignored the kitchen completely this evening :hilarious: so we’ve ordered a takeaway (karahi, shashlik, saag paneer and onion bhaji, with most of the :nailbiting:scary:nailbiting: veg ending up on Mr B’s plate).

now, do I order more of the silk and make another scarf? Or different silk To makea different scarf? Or do I wait til I next visit? With Covid, I have no idea when that will be... and it was a very pretty scarf... the coat is much less of a trauma to leave for a while.