Libre 90 day average glucose 4.9

tom58

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
90 day result... 4.9 mmol/L.... Most recent HbA1c 5.7% (38.8)... BP 65/125... Age 81

With a pump using FIASP insulin and with frequent Libre usage, I have been able to tightly control of my blood sugar. For the last twenty years I've really tried to become like a non-diabetic just to see if it could be done.

In the early years of this experiment I had five hypos that needed medical intervention but over time I've learnt to recognise the early signs of very low blood sugar, made sure I'm well sugared before sleeping and have now avoided falling into a coma for the past twelve years.

Am mercifully free of any complications and mild diabetic retinopathy, which was permanently present before, disappeared completely twelve years ago and has not reoccurred since.

This is not intended to be a bragging post but rather an example of what can be done with the aid of modern medicine. Granted, I've been retired for the last fifteen years and have therefore lead a relatively stressless life. On the other hand, increasing age does impose different challenges.

It would be very interesting to hear if any other T1s have achieved similar long term results.

Last edited:

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Just curious, what do you mean by “well sugared before sleeping”?
Awesome results, mind!

MarkMunday

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It definitely gets easier with age. Not as much hormonal activity, making blood glucose more controllable. My HBa1c is usually on the low 40's, without a pump.