What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all,

@maglil55 -- Thanks for the detailed instructions on the cauliflower risotto. Will definitely try it next weekend.
@dragongirl -- welcome to the thread.
@Antje77 -- Hugs, it's always hard saying good bye to a loved pet -- and this would definitely put me off chicory and hummus too.
@DJC3 -- The story with the car in the driveway is really quite funny. Glad that the last few steps in the house sale are now completed. Hope the stress levels will now reduce too.

Yesterday ...

Breakfast: A double decaffeinated espresso with cream and erythritol.

Lunch: Half a tub of chicken liver pate (about 60g). Radishes. Half a keto roll with steak tartare and mayonnaise.

Out with a friend and my husband for some red wine.

Dinner: A bit of the boeuf bourgignon. Half a DD keto roll with butter. Much later a snack of three small servings of different cheeses and some cornichons.

Last edited:

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Today ...

Lunch: Lamb's lettuce with h/m Caesar's dressing and parmesan. Four thin slices of a huge ribeye cooked sous vide and then fried. Half a DD keto roll with butter. A slice of egg-liqueur cake.

Dinner: Two more substantial slices of the above ribeye. Some baba ghanoush. Half a toasted DD keto roll with butter. About 20g of 88% chocolate. Some dry red wine.

Here's a photo of the egg-liqueur cake -- the half that's left.

upload_2020-10-4_0-35-34.jpeg

Last edited:

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Today ...

Lunch: Lamb's lettuce with h/m Caesar's dressing and parmesan. Four thin slices of a huge ribeye cooked sous vide and then fried. Half a DD keto roll with butter. A slice of egg-liqueur cake.

Dinner: Two more substantial slices of the above ribeye. Some baba ghanoush. Half a toasted DD keto roll with butter. Some dry red wine.

Here's a photo of the egg-liqueur cake -- the half that's left.

View attachment 44431
That cake is lasting well and looking good. Is it home made? If so recipe please, and will power

Reactions: ziggy_w

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
@Annb - I tend to agree with @zauberflote. Stress can be there without knowing it. You have so much going on at the moment you would have to be superhuman not to be stressed. I'm assuming there is no word on DIL or granddaughter yet?

Not yet. Nothing at all on granddaughter but tomorrow evening DIL goes to Inverness for her mammogram at 9 o'clock Tuesday morning. All being well, she should be home on the 2.30 flight. Didn't hear anything yet about my blood test so will phone tomorrow and see if it has come back yet. No 2 son, has annual leave for the next 2 weeks, so will be looking after the kids (one 14 year old - no problem, one 10 year old - highly strung, one 8 year old - Em, gets a bit carried away when in the company of the 7 year old - destructive and stubborn). But as long as all goes well, it will only be for the one night and one day on his own. Once he has got them all to school - one just up the road from us, the other 3 in 2 different schools in Stornoway - he will have to deal with the laundry, a delivery/collection round and to make sure it all gets done in time for another delivery/collection on Wednesday, collect them all from school again and deal with meal prep and looking after all the animals. He says he doesn't need any help and will manage, just so long as he doesn't injure himself on the equipment. He is acknowledged to be a walking danger zone, although it's always himself he damages, not anyone else.

Food today: not much. Had to go out to the local shop and the pharmacy fairly early on and got back in time for a one hour Zoom meeting. After that Em arrived for the afternoon (DIL and No 2 son delivering laundry and drumming up business on the West Side of the Island. They managed to get a bit lost, so it took longer than they expected.) So only drinks until lunch. Then I gave Em a roll with Philadelphia cheese and prosciutto but she only wanted half of it, so I had the 2nd half. Then, nothing but drinks for the rest of the day. Not hungry.

My red gooseberry bush arrived in the post (9cm pot, about 15 inches tall but healthy looking). It has to stay indoors for a week and then get acclimatised for a while and only then potted up. Ordered several other plants from the same people - one a sechuan pepper, one a"blue sausage" shrub - never heard of it, but it looks interesting. Its proper name is Decasnea fargesii. The third was a sharon fruit; I don't think it will do very well here, but Em is keen to try. The last one is a lemon - supposedly hardy, but we shall see. Worth having a go anyway.

Edit: Em told me yesterday that she misses her grandad. I was surprised that she even remembered - she was only 5 when he died. Today she wanted to make a picture (a montage really) of a painting of a ship pasted onto a drawing of the sea and she asked if she could have a photo of grandad when he was a sailor. Neil printed one out for her and she cut it out and placed him on the ship, looking over the bow. "Because he liked being on ships."

Last edited:

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @MrsA2

Yes, it is homemade. This is from a recipe given to me by a coworker about 25 years ago and adjusted to low carb.

Dough:

100g high cocoa content chocolate
200g nuts (I used pecan, but hazelnut or almond are aslo possible)
5 whole eggs
powdered erythritol to taste (original recipe says 100g of sugar which would be about 140g of erythritol, but I usually use less)
80 g butter
2 tablespoons of egg liqueur
baking powder

grind nuts and chocolate in food processor, mix with the remaining ingredients, fill in baking form, bake at 180 degrees centigrades until the center is firm and a tooth pick will come out clean. Let cool.

For the topping:

400 ml of heavy cream
powedered erythritol to taste
maybe a bit of vanilla
egg liqueur.

beat heavy cream with erythritol and vanilla until stiff. Cover the cake, once it is cool, with it and decorate with rosettes around the rim. Pour a generous portion of egg liqueur in the middle. Put in the fridge for a couple of hours until the egg liqueur has set.

I also make my own egg liqueur to reduce carb content further. (In the past, I have also purchased some xylitol-sweetened egg liqueur, which was great). However, if you decide to make it yourself, this you need:

300 ml heavy cream
6 egg yolks
vanilla
150 ml white or light rum
150g powdered erythritol

Mix all the ingredients except for the rum. Carefully heat and continually stir with a cooking spoon until the mixture thickens and coats a spoon (I use a regular pot alternating the heat between 60 to 80 degrees centigrade, but most people would just use a bain marie -- just be careful not to let the mixture boil). Once it has thickened (consistance should be close to a thicker vanilla sauce), add the rum. Stir, fill into a glass bottle and put in the fridge. The liqueur will keep for several months.

Let me know how it works out -- if you decide to try it.

Last edited by a moderator:

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@Annb your planting plans are fascinating. I never knew persimmons were called sharon fruit. It is a rite of passage here to be given an underripe persimmon to eat.... Sweet Em, to gift you with her memory and little tribute art work!
@ziggy_w it looks as if one might make that cake without the egg liqueur, yes? A great flourless cake for special occasions, and I think I'd pour the heavy cream over my slice sans liqueur and be very happy!

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @MrsA2

Yes, it is homemade. This is from a recipe given to me by a coworker about 25 years ago and adjusted to low carb.

Dough:

5 whole eggs
powdered erythritol to taste (original recipe says 100g of sugar which would be about 140g of erythritol, but I usually use less)
80 g butter
baking powder

grind nuts and chocolate in food processor, mix with the remaining ingredients, fill in baking form, bake at 180 degrees centigrades until the center is firm and a tooth pick will come out clean. Let cool.

For the topping:

400 ml of heavy cream
maybe a bit of vanilla
egg liqueur.

beat heavy cream with erythritol and vanilla until stiff. Cover the cake, once it is cool, with it and decorate with rosettes around the rim. Pour a generous portion of egg liqueur in the middle. Put in the fridge for a couple of hours until the egg liqueur has set.

I also make my own egg liqueur to reduce carb content further. (In the past, I have also purchased some xylitol-sweetened egg liqueur, which was great). However, if you decide to make it yourself, this you need:

300 ml heavy cream
6 egg yolks
vanilla
150g powdered erythritol

Mix all the ingredients except for the rum. Carefully heat and continually stir with a cooking spoon until the mixture thickens and coats a spoon (I use a regular pot alternating the heat between 60 to 80 degrees centigrade, but most people would just use a bain marie -- just be careful not to let the mixture boil). Once it has thickened (consistance should be close to a thicker vanilla sauce), add the rum. Stir, fill into a glass bottle and put in the fridge. The liqueur will keep for several months.

Haven’t baked for ages. Thinking I might adapt that - the egg liquor would need to go, but I could add the equivalent in cream for the consistency and then some cream cheese mixed with the double cream would work for the topping, I think. Would make a nice nutty, Christmas cake. Probably have everything bar the nuts in stock.

Reactions: ziggy_w

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All
Yesterday had a quick breakfast of slice HiLo toast and tea. Then since the weather was too bad for Mr PM’s golf we drove an hour over to youngest son who had got us some paint trial pots. We are planning to do the kitchen/diner including the cupboards so a big job which should be done by Christmas with Mr PM now playing golf 3 / 4 times a week. Stepped into their conservatory for quick coffee Then came back a different way to swing by the farm shop and collect our order.
Lunch was nearly 2pm had egg mayo spread thick on sliver of farm bread and tea.
Supper was chump chop with mushrooms all fried in the same pan.
Today need to start clearing glasses and display things from the kitchen in prep for The Great British Paint Off which wont start for a while, since we need to decide which paint we like and order it. Brekkie today will be the usual. My Heistmacher bread was due to be delivered Friday but my Hermes lady knocked on the door to tell me it had got hopelessly squashed at the depot and had to be sent back. It was nice of her to take the effort to let me know since she didnt have to. Luckily I still have some HiLo in the freezer. Our main meal today will be boiled gammon which will make Mr PM very happy, me not so. I might even choose to have an omelette! Any day now I will start clucking!

annabell1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude people
not able to do as much as I used to do due to health issues
onions
leek

annabell1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude people
onions
leek
Last edited:
Reactions: zauberflote

annabell1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude people
onions
leek
What is the attraction of almond butter? I bought a jar months ago, had one spoonful and its been in the back of the fridge since. What am I missing doing to it?

Saturday starts with yoga so after showering etc stretched time until early lunch
Cheese, olives but learned from yesterday's mid afternoon hunger it wasn't enough so quickly threw together a 90 sec microwave bread. That did the trick and nothing else until dinner of more of last nights chicken casserole.

Have visitors tomorrow, one vegetarian, one no nuts, one birthday and one diabetic . Am away in someone else's kitchen so limited ingredients too. Its just as well I like a challenge!.
Have ended up making a nut free carrot cake.....but the wrong size tin, in an AGA, and without some of the coconut flakes recipe wanted. Used extra coconut flour instead. Will 'ice' with cream cheese it tomorrow. Fingers crossed
Agree about almond butter i have a jar also used once I prefer peanut butter

Reactions: maglil55

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @zauberflote and @Goonergal -- yes, it will be perfectly fine without the egg liqueur. You also wouldn't need the rosettes around the rim because this is just to prevent the egg liqueur from running down the sides of the cake.

Let me know how it works out if you decide to give it a try.

Reactions: zauberflote

annabell1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude people
onions
leek
Hi @MrsA2

Dough:

5 whole eggs
80 g butter
baking powder

For the topping:

400 ml of heavy cream
maybe a bit of vanilla
egg liqueur.

300 ml heavy cream
6 egg yolks
vanilla
150g powdered erythritol

I was wondering what egg liqueur was but googled it to realise its egg nog which never had before haha

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not yet. Nothing at all on granddaughter but tomorrow evening DIL goes to Inverness for her mammogram at 9 o'clock Tuesday morning. All being well, she should be home on the 2.30 flight. Didn't hear anything yet about my blood test so will phone tomorrow and see if it has come back yet. No 2 son, has annual leave for the next 2 weeks, so will be looking after the kids (one 14 year old - no problem, one 10 year old - highly strung, one 8 year old - Em, gets a bit carried away when in the company of the 7 year old - destructive and stubborn). But as long as all goes well, it will only be for the one night and one day on his own. Once he has got them all to school - one just up the road from us, the other 3 in 2 different schools in Stornoway - he will have to deal with the laundry, a delivery/collection round and to make sure it all gets done in time for another delivery/collection on Wednesday, collect them all from school again and deal with meal prep and looking after all the animals. He says he doesn't need any help and will manage, just so long as he doesn't injure himself on the equipment. He is acknowledged to be a walking danger zone, although it's always himself he damages, not anyone else.

Food today: not much. Had to go out to the local shop and the pharmacy fairly early on and got back in time for a one hour Zoom meeting. After that Em arrived for the afternoon (DIL and No 2 son delivering laundry and drumming up business on the West Side of the Island. They managed to get a bit lost, so it took longer than they expected.) So only drinks until lunch. Then I gave Em a roll with Philadelphia cheese and prosciutto but she only wanted half of it, so I had the 2nd half. Then, nothing but drinks for the rest of the day. Not hungry.

My red gooseberry bush arrived in the post (9cm pot, about 15 inches tall but healthy looking). It has to stay indoors for a week and then get acclimatised for a while and only then potted up. Ordered several other plants from the same people - one a sechuan pepper, one a"blue sausage" shrub - never heard of it, but it looks interesting. Its proper name is Decasnea fargesii. The third was a sharon fruit; I don't think it will do very well here, but Em is keen to try. The last one is a lemon - supposedly hardy, but we shall see. Worth having a go anyway.

Edit: Em told me yesterday that she misses her grandad. I was surprised that she even remembered - she was only 5 when he died. Today she wanted to make a picture (a montage really) of a painting of a ship pasted onto a drawing of the sea and she asked if she could have a photo of grandad when he was a sailor. Neil printed one out for her and she cut it out and placed him on the ship, looking over the bow. "Because he liked being on ships."

Ann, Persimmon can be very hardy, depending on the specific variety you bought. For the most part, the lemons sold in UK are Meyer variety and incredibly vigorous and hardy.

I planted a twiglet (aka very small specimen) around March and it fruited thi year. OK, this year's fruit won't be making too many B&Ts of Drizzle cakes, being about the size of the end of my thumb, but it has ramped on. Looking forward to next year.

Reactions: Antje77

annabell1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude people
onions
leek
Breakfast had my maneesh pastry but they are hardened and really hard to eat so might have to throw then out which is a bummer as very hard to bite into but after eating my BSL SHOT UP TO 11 an hour after eating but 4 hours I was feeling weird and my BSL was 4.3mmol

So ate some salami handful of peanuts and 2 strawberries bsl 5.8 after.....

Dinner hadn't pulled anything out it was nearly 7pm Daylight saving of course takes awhile to get used to it.... so for dinner went up the road and brought rump steak which I cooked only a quarter of it as was a big peice of meat and still only ate half of it leftover tomorrow and the remaining uncooked peice I froze, served it with cabbage salad and leftover tabbelah and a small slice of watermelon. And a bottle of dry pear cider. Daylight savings started and it takes me a week or so to get used to the hour time change. Now chilling and feeling rather tired as didnt sleep well last night. I'm trying the app CaLm got a free 6 months subscribtion so hopefully it can help.

Its the long weekend here down under queens Elizabeth birthday holiday.....

annabell1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude people
onions
leek
Bed 7.2 FBG was also 7.2. Weather today is really awful. It has been torrential rain all day. I'd hoped to remain indoors but son wanted a trip to Tesco so waterproofs on and out. @annabell1 - that is so weird. Why would the clock change be affected by Covid? @DJC3 - You must have breathed a huge sigh of relief to finally get the London abode completed. It's certainly been a long haul. Mrs T 123 - my Seriously low carb bread appeared today. I'll certainly be buying more of it. Texture is really good and it's good toast as well!
B. TAG and a couple of Ryvita thins with pate. Then....the postie arrived with my Seriously Low Carb bread so I had to have a slice toasted with butter. I like the taste of Skinny Bread better but the texture of this is more bread like.
L. Still pouring down so I had another TAG and a 2 slice sandwich with prawns & lettuce! Joy! DGF lemon and blueberry. My BGs fell at the 1 hr mark from 5.7 to 5 2 as well.
D. Having returned from unplanned trip to Tesco in the pouring rain, I made these beef wraps with the sliced peppers & red onion and the tomato/chilli sauce. Had a few veggie chips. Halo Top strawberry cheesecake and 6 raspberries.

@zauberflote - the breathlessness is not too bad now. It comes on more at night but paracetamol/hot showers/vicks vapour rub sorts it. When I first fell victim to this back in March it was awful. At the point I decamped to another bedroom I was propped up on about 4 pillows and some nights I could barely sleep at all. Contant steaming kept me going. This now is mild.
I think its the extra daylight hours as they think more people will be out and about so they thing likely to get it

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hope everyone had a good day. Only change to my food from yesterday will be the main meal as mackerel and avocado salad. Likely to be exactly the same tomorrow as today. Non testing but other data very much in “the zone.”. I think the two are linked. The red wine last evening left my resting pulse where I want to be. I have avoided red wine as it sometimes took my resting pulse over 60. I appear to be in better condition than either my father or grandfather P at 65. apart from the back stopping me doing as much heavy work which offends my ego massively. To deal with "hot stuff” I ordered this. I will try that with ACV and some toast. IP or not we are never going try making our own broth or soup any more. So many frozen bones and stock cubes thrown out when we moved. Unless it can't be avoided - choosing a car, tiles or urgent things for grandchildren I won’t go into a supermarket or shop, it needs to come to me, Hug for eyes @Mrs T 123 and historically @maglil55

Last edited:

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Many thanks for that - I seen the floaters too on her machine - have you had yours for a while then and do they come and go or get worse/better at times - sorry, I should have asked her today but it's always when you come out an appointment you have questions. I will calm down about the eye pressure too - it's re-assuring to hear that yours is usually lower at the hospital with their hi tech machines - many thanks - much appreciated.
Mine were worse before the eye drops started. I just have to remember to put the eye drops in just before bed as they do sting a little. Nothing much but a little sting. Before I started the drops I got a "thread" floater twice. Now they do cause panic stations if you've never had one! It is just like a piece of thread swimming about in your eye. I was told they are nothing to worry about either other than they break up and leave you with lots of little floaters for a while. Anyway, never happened again and I've been stable now for 6 years. Eye Pavilion is a nightmare as it is so busy but I'd rather get all the tests than not.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have to say I could really do with it being Saturday today rather than Sunday. Even with being largely confined to barracks due to weather, the weekend has flown by.

Many thanks for that - I seen the floaters too on her machine - have you had yours for a while then and do they come and go or get worse/better at times -
Had them for ages. They do seem to change and be more noticeable from time to time.
Hi @zauberflote and @Goonergal -- yes, it will be perfectly fine without the egg liqueur. You also wouldn't need the rosettes around the rim because this is just to prevent the egg liqueur from running down the sides of the cake. Let me know how it works out if you decide to give it a try.
Baked it today. Turned out just fine - not quite so neat and tidy as yours, but tastes great. I made a few tweaks - used 50g Brazil nuts and 150g almonds. Just 95g erythritol - the mix tasted quite sweet, but the cake doesn’t, so it could take a bit more. No egg liquer and for the topping I reduced the quantity and combined 150g cream cheese with 150ml double cream, no erythritol or sweetener in that. Still a decent blob of that left in the bowl, so could reduce further.

Full food details for the day:

Lunch was the small piece of brisket leftover from earlier in the week with a pickled onion. Meat was still soft and tender even when cold. Followed by 2 squares Lindt 90%.
Dinner was beef short ribs followed by a piece of the still warm cake.

714AF630-D10D-4285-9EAB-36BFBE5E224F.jpeg
098FA5B2-58CC-4C26-A8B3-E942F2064ADE.jpeg

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ve missed a few days and not yet caught up - just due to being busy and will be missing again now until Thursday as off to York’s for mums pre op and carpet fitting after early am swim tomorrow - well that’s the plan......
Today’s food
Breakfast one each of slice of bacon, chipolata sausage,fried egg and half a chaffle
Lunch - made lc cheese scones to take to mums so had one freshly baked and still warm with butter followed by some 100% montezumas choc with orange oil
Dinner steak, celeriac chips, stuffed mushrooms and onions with glass of red wine followed by DGF lemon and blueberry cake with a few berries from garden and extra thick cream.
Catch up again when back home take care all.