Slacking big time!!!

Mel2019

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
So last time I was on here, I managed to get my HbA1c down to a good number (can't remember) my diabetic nurse was impressed...however, I became pretty cocky about it and went back to old habits plus "forgetting to take medicine"..

Fast forward to today I got my HbA1c took last week and its sitting at 68.

I was on keto when I got it lowered the last time, problem is I couldn't do keto anymore, the thoughts of vegetables and salads turned me!

I want carbs, I don't want to be the moody witch I was!! Any help on how I can keep carbs in my diet would be appreciated. ☺

mouseee

Wish I could but I'm not sure there is an answer!
I am craving carbs at the moment and have given in too often. So I'd like the magic bullet too as I feel your pain.

It might be worth going keto and then adding back in things that feel more carby but keep testing to see what you can tolerate.

Reactions: Mel2019

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Would it be possible for you to do lower carb but not keto?
Do you eat meat and other animal products?

If you can't do it on diet at the moment, have you spoken about medication with your HCP?
If the age on your profile is correct, you were very young to be diagnosed with T2. Of course this can happen, but have you had any tests to rule out other types of diabetes?

Wish you all the best in taming this beast while staying happy!

M

Member496333

"Keto" doesn't preclude vegetables. It's a metabolic pathway, not a menu. There's absolutely no reason why you can't maintain nutritional ketosis whilst still eating some veg. If by carbs you mean bread, pasta and the like...well that's up to you but don't expect your diabetes to get any better.

Apologies if I've misunderstood.

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree with @Antje77 that you are young to have type 2 and if you haven't had the tests to rule out other types it is probably worth doing them.

if you test regularly you may find that you can go low carb enough for your body while still having some salad and veggies. some salad veggies don't have a lot of carbs so you may find that you an do it.

good luck.

sno0opy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The only other alternative depends entirely on your situation but is not easy either. Depends on your Bmi and activity levels from what i have seen from here.

If your BMI and activity levels are High/low, then you may be able to improve your levels while still having some carbs but significantly changing that. But it wouldn't be a small change in BMi and a bit of exercise, it worked for me (with a much healthier diet but one that did include carbs) but this was a drastic drop in BMI and moving to 4 or 5 hours of hard exercise a week.

MetabolicJim

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Assuming you are type 2...
I’ve been doing intermittent fasting and reduced carb for over a year now. Recently I switched to The Croissant Diet plus one fast a week. Not been on it for long enough to report results but it’s an interesting approach. I intend to give it at least 6 weeks.

I found out about it from this podcast episode:
https://carnivoremd.com/how-linolei...ith-brad-marshall-aka-the-croissant-diet-guy/

Basically the idea is to cut out as much polyunsaturated fat (PUFA) as you can. Also maybe even cut mono-unsaturated fat (MUFA). Stick to saturated fat, especially stearic acid. You can read about the ROS theory of obesity here:
https://fireinabottle.net/the-ros-theory-of-obesity/

MetabolicJim

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It’s hard work avoiding seed oils. You have to read the ingredients on everything

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
You can be low carb without being keto and keto does not have to be void of veg and salads then there are insulin injections and other blood sugar reducing medications not a route I would care to take personally unless there was no alternative but how you deal with your diabetes is your choice and of course your health providers will need to cooperate, so maybe discuss it with them.

Last edited:

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So last time I was on here, I managed to get my HbA1c down to a good number (can't remember) my diabetic nurse was impressed...however, I became pretty cocky about it and went back to old habits plus "forgetting to take medicine"..

Fast forward to today I got my HbA1c took last week and its sitting at 68.

I was on keto when I got it lowered the last time, problem is I couldn't do keto anymore, the thoughts of vegetables and salads turned me!

I want carbs, I don't want to be the moody witch I was!! Any help on how I can keep carbs in my diet would be appreciated. ☺

Hi,

From your historical post, your last A1c looked like it was "48?" Coming down from 89.
Great achievement. https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/hba1c-results.164833/

Omitting the meds may have partly contributed to your recent disappointment?
Possibly discuss this with your HCP.

Do you have an appointment set up regarding your recent blood works?

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Hi @Mel2019, I've not been doing so well myself, after also lowering my hba1c last year,

Can you not have vegetables and salad on keto? :wideyed: I tried low carb initially and still ate plenty veg and salad

What carbs are you wanting now though? :) sometimes you can get creative and make things to fill the craving without the sugar spike!

Here is a list of some vegetables that are keto friendly :

Asparagus
Broccoli
Brussels sprouts
Cabbage
Cauliflower
Celery
Cucumber
Green Beans
Kale
Peppers (red and green)
Spinach
Olives
Zucchini
Lettuce
Kale
Swiss chard
Tomatoes
Avocado (technically a fruit)

So yes you can have vegetables on a keto diet.

Reactions: rosemaree

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I find the occasional fake-carb helps satisfy a carb craving, such as a 90 second bread, a 90 second tuna melt, fathead pizza etc

If its sugary carbs you are missing, then there's really no other way than treating it as an addictive substance and going cold turkey. And knowing its for life

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
I want carbs, I don't want to be the moody witch I was!! Any help on how I can keep carbs in my diet would be appreciated.
I am craving carbs at the moment and have given in too often.

I seem to have a different problem in that I can safely say that I don't crave carbs, just bread. Pasta, rice, potato, cake, biscuit, chocolate . . . . I have no interest whatsoever, but then the sweeter things never were a problem. May I ask, when craving carbs would a slice of bread satisfy that craving, in other words would any carb do or is it specific carbs that you crave.

I cannot afford to give in to my bread craving because I know how it affects my BG and ultimately my HbA1c. Others might be luckier and be able to tolerate some. My carbs come from vegetables which I eat a lot of but I have to keep below 50 gms a day.

Mel2019

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Would it be possible for you to do lower carb but not keto?
Do you eat meat and other animal products?

If you can't do it on diet at the moment, have you spoken about medication with your HCP?
If the age on your profile is correct, you were very young to be diagnosed with T2. Of course this can happen, but have you had any tests to rule out other types of diabetes?

Wish you all the best in taming this beast while staying happy!
Hiya I developed diabetes through pregnancy and became type 2 im on four metformin at the minute x

Mel2019

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks everyone,

I developed diabetes through my first pregnancy which resulted in type 2. Ive always been told im type 2 never been told otherwise. I was on metformin and stopped (stupid I know).. im craving crabs like pasta rice potatoes (irish habit)!

Mel2019

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Mel2019, I've not been doing so well myself, after also lowering my hba1c last year,

Can you not have vegetables and salad on keto? :wideyed: I tried low carb initially and still ate plenty veg and salad

What carbs are you wanting now though? :) sometimes you can get creative and make things to fill the craving without the sugar spike!
I want bread rice pasta all the good stuff lol

Mel2019

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

From your historical post, your last A1c looked like it was "48?" Coming down from 89.
Great achievement. https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/hba1c-results.164833/

Omitting the meds may have partly contributed to your recent disappointment?
Possibly discuss this with your HCP.

Do you have an appointment set up regarding your recent blood works?
I had my bloods done the n was referred to the pre diabetes clinic as im wanting to get pregnant again.

Mel2019

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I seem to have a different problem in that I can safely say that I don't crave carbs, just bread. Pasta, rice, potato, cake, biscuit, chocolate . . . . I have no interest whatsoever, but then the sweeter things never were a problem. May I ask, when craving carbs would a slice of bread satisfy that craving, in other words would any carb do or is it specific carbs that you crave.

I cannot afford to give in to my bread craving because I know how it affects my BG and ultimately my HbA1c. Others might be luckier and be able to tolerate some. My carbs come from vegetables which I eat a lot of but I have to keep below 50 gms a day.
No piece of bread would take that craving away, im talking potatoes mashed or baked lol

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
No piece of bread would take that craving away, im talking potatoes mashed or baked lol

I was trying to differentiate between a carb craving and a food craving. Just as well it's only bread for me.