How soon after eating should blood sugar rise?

TheGreatGateway

Today I felt unusual shortly after a meal. It was admittedly pretty high carb, but I had been suffering from low sugar before so I needed it. At the half an hour after eating mark, my vision went and my brain became foggy. I checked my sugar and it was only 5 mmol despite a huge meal. It was 3.7 - 4.0 before. Shouldn't it have climbed after eating?

zeeeee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
How long after eating did you check? Some see the peak after an hour others may see it after 2

personally i see the peak after 1 hour

Edit*saw you checked after 30 minutes did you do more checks after

Last edited:

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
It all depends, if you have been recently diagnosed, and you have high blood glucose levels, so that means you have insulin resistance and the insulin response is not good, or alternatively you have produced too much insulin and that will drive your blood glucose levels down. Are you on meds?

sleepster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The bigger the meal, the longer it can take for your BG to rise. If I eat a meal with over 50g of carbs then I have to do a dual wave bolus on my pump or I go hypo during or shortly after eating as the insulin gets to work before the carbs

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Depends on what you have eaten. A mixed meal of carbs, fat, protein and fibre may take hours to peak, whereas a meal of toast and a large fruit salad might peak in less than an hour.

PRime example: people often find that pizza (which is of course fat protein and carbs in roughly equal quantities ;) ) may take 5 hours to peak, or it has several peaks, as each of the different ingredients hits the bloodstream.

Reactions: paulpapa

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
For me it depends on what I eat and the combination of fats and carbs for a particular meal, as @Brunneria had mentioned.

Eating a low carb full fat diet means I generally see a gentle "bump" rather than a sharper rise.