What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee
Elevenses: black coffee with peanut phd bar
Late Lunch: cheesy scrambled eggs followed by Greek yoghurt flavoured with added coffee and LC chocolate granola.
Dinner: roast chicken, one small roast potato, mixed veg and gravy made from meat juices thickened with flax, followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B: 3 spoonfuls of ff yog mixed with choc granola
L: sort of a waffle with little ham and tiny piece of brie. The sort of waffle was 1 egg blitzed with an unmeasured amount of mozzarella and cooked in a teeny weeny frying pan. Worked well
Mid afternoon. Visitors bought a very dense oreo chocolate cake so had a teeny weeny piece. Luckily had it after a small piece of the lc carrot cake which was decidedly stodgy and full of seeds. Was OK for a those of us who have lost our sweet teeth but none of the visitors finished theirs.
D. Cheese crisps and a piece of aforementioned lc carrot cake with added cream and blueberries

Think the cake is going to reappear often in my posts over next few days. Will make it again when home with own equipment, right ingredients and normal oven. It has potential but not quite right this time.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Today is Dierendag (animal day) so I made an extra hamburger with less salt for the dogs and cats to share :)
Knowing there is nothing better than the food from my plate, I pretended it was mine so we shared dinner :hilarious:

The dogs also got their share of the Brussels sprouts with goats cheese and walnuts, and seemed to enjoy them as much as I did :)

The original plan was to have those sprouts over 2 days, with onions, bell pepper and oyster mushrooms to go with the meat, but after yesterday's adventure with the slug I didn't fancy hard to identify fried veggies again, so I simply cooked all the sprouts, happy to share with the dogs for dierendag. :happy:
Otherwise, the sprouts would have gone to the guinea pigs anyway because I'll have a friend over for dinner tomorrow, so tomorrow will be vegetarian moussaka :hungry:.

I've also bought chicory and hummus, despite it making me sad, so I might try it for a midnight snack tonight. Or it might sit in the fridge until the chicory has to go to the guinea pigs and the hummus to the dogs and cats (they all love it!), we'll see!

120882919_10221944435434338_2523569606852261187_o.jpg

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@annabell1 hugs for the weird day! Re covid-- it's my understanding that here they think we're going to see more problems with people staying INdoors more. Less air circulation, more crowding and breathing others' air. Makes sense to me! Flu/cold season is winter, not summer.
@shelley262 take care!
@Antje77 be careful the precedents you set And oh my dogs and brussels sprouts that sounds like an interesting few hours ahead! Much like a study hall full of large farm boys who've all just eaten double servings of that rural Appalachia lunch room staple, beans.....I'm glad you're giving the chicory/hummus snack a try. May you remember only good times
Sunday feast day here I guess, and almost OMAllDay since 12:45
Bfast avocado, pecans, bouled eggs, flax crisps/dilute soy milk
Lunch en famille deli turkey slices wrapped (I say that loosely bwahahaha) around some hm not-by-me sweet pickles because I ate the last of their dill spears Friday, sliced Costco pack cheese, olives stuffed with feta, two bites of really bad box-mix brownie
Continuing lunch 2/3 sq Lindt 90%, pecans
Supper will feature a grilled marinated portabello mushroom cap with American artisan blue cheese melted inside. Made a new batch of salad dressing, which is supposed to have mostly ACV with a bit of white vinegar and 2-3 bits balsamic. Stupidly, I poured the white in first, From The Gallon Jug. Quite a pucker-upper, this bottle of dressing! I can feel my teeth dissolve! Also to be served are spinach/aforementioned dressing, flax crisps/dilute soy. For Mr ZF a mushroom, and burger+bun. All sitting on the heated sun porch watching a couple episodes of 1955 "What's My Line?" Two contemporary American quiz/contest shows I really enjoy seem to have drawn to greater or lesser degree on What's My Line. One is the NPR news quiz "Wait Wait...Don't Tell Me!" and the other, to a lesser extent, is Drew Carey's "Whose Line Is It Anyway?" ....... how did I get off on that?!?
Very little of your evenings left, so goodnight all and good morning even if Monday.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
@Antje77 be careful the precedents you set
emoji23.png
emoji23.png
And oh my dogs and brussels sprouts that sounds like an interesting few hours ahead!
Thanks for the warning! I'll make sure to keep the duvet tightly tucked in below my chin tonight and let any excess air escape from the foot end of my bed, as both dogs prefer to sleep under my blanket :)

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@maglil55 Glad you have received your bread order - enjoy! The bread order I received on Friday was more of a rectangular shape, whereas the ones I had received before were square - so I don't know if they have changed their baking tins kinda looks like it but the bread tastes the same, although I do prefer the square shape.

@zauberflote & @maglil55 I have heard that putting vicks on the soles of your feet can help chesty issues (might be worth a try) although I have not tried it myself. My oldest son was prone to croup as a child so I would take him into the bathroom and run a hot shower and the steam from it helped his chesty breathing.

@Annb stress definitely increases my blood sugars - on waking on Saturday before my eye appointment my FBG was low 5s, all I had for breakfast was slc toast and tea, when I returned from the appointment and tested I was 8.5! and now usually in a morning with that same toast and tea I would have probably have been just below or above 6, and I know I was stressed as I actually felt it - and that was the only thing that was different from other mornings and the thing was I know it was no big deal but I was worried before the appointment and stressed about what the possible results could have been. I really wish I was one of those people who don't get stressed about medical appointments but I suppose I can't control it no matter how hard I try - my boys don't get stressed about these kind of things at all.

@Goonergal I am sure a slice of that cake had my name of it - looks fab - my mouth was watering - enjoy!

Brunch - 2 slices of slc toasted with a slice of cheese and butter in between. Mug of earl grey.

Dinner out - surf n turf with peppercorn sauce and large salad including cheese and coleslaw. SF orange jelly and teaspoon of hubby's magnum ice-cream over the top when back home.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
Missed yesterday
Breakfast usual nut granola and 2 coffee with cream.
More coffee mid morning, and biscuits. it's sunny and bright so washing out quick!
Still working on the root veg bed, more digging.
Lunch Ham, salad of lettuce, radish and spring onion, with two really tiny cherry tomatoes, all from the garden. Macedoine salad.
Afternoon planned to cut the grass, but it rained, remembered the washing. Yippee, no need for tumble dryer today.
Heavy shower. Everything in the garden sopping, pottered about the house for a bit, then back outside. Mowing is off, so finished the root veg bed and started on one of the smaller beds.
tea and another biscuit.
Finished the potting shed bed.
Found some carrots and picked the last few beans from there, with potatoes dug up earlier that's dinner sorted.
Dinner. Reheated MrSlims cottage pie. Made myself one with some of the mince and celariac left from yesterday, mixed a bit of cheese into the topping. Had the carrots and beans, plus left over cabbage. Glass of wine.
Coffee, tea.spoonful of cream cheese and some walnuts. Impossible to guess how many as I nibbled while I worked my way through the task of cracking open several kilos.

Last edited:

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
This morning, I had a bacon roll! I know I shouldn't have but there were rolls left and some streaky bacon needing to be used. And I wanted it! Took a fairly large dose of insulin first and BG only went up by 2.

Lunch - none.

Evening meal - made some blue cabbage bhajis. Chickpea flour and plenty of spices. Only a little batter and lots of veg. No idea how many carbs but it can't be too many. I had four of them.

I've made a tub of egg mayo with some of my home grown chives - now in the fridge to be used tomorrow and a sausage, apple, pea and cabbage casserole, also in the fridge, as an option for tomorrow. With any luck, I should be able to stay on the straight and narrow.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
As per Sunday for me so all done here. @zauberflote - amazing post from Sunday. Fell in love with the Appalachian farm boys and I would adore the face puckering dressing. Oh, how I want some sweet pickle for a very strong cheese and pickle sandwich - on proper rye sourdough obviously. @MrsA2 ROFL @ losing the taste for sweet things - others have attempted to gaslight me there. Anytime I try something sweet it is blindingly obvious what the attraction is and how things taste best. @Annb bacon roll worked so chillax. @shelley262 safe journey and hope all goes well. @ziggy_w cake certainly looks amazing but not for me as ingredients include erith and nuts - then someone used cream cheese and frosting - positively Satanic. You are very naughty people:angelic: One man's avocado, eh?

Last edited:

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All
Had a salad supper last night but it didnt sit well because I had tummy ache for about 90 mins in the night. Codeine to the rescue!
Breakfast was usual HiLo toast, butter, tea x 3.
Lunch just now was a slice of Mestemacher toast with egg mayo. Sorry to say this bread is a “no deal” for me, too dense, too false and no taste. But you have to try to find out. Supper will be some leftover gammon with either veg or more likely in an omelette.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All
Had a salad supper last night but it didnt sit well because I had tummy ache for about 90 mins in the night. Codeine to the rescue!
Breakfast was usual HiLo toast, butter, tea x 3.
Lunch just now was a slice of Mestemacher toast with egg mayo. Sorry to say this bread is a “no deal” for me, too dense, too false and no taste. But you have to try to find out. Supper will be some leftover gammon with either veg or more likely in an omelette.
Sorry to hear about the poorly tummy and bread. Take care.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Having a very hungry day. Started with 3 sausages - cold, cooked last night.

That kept me going until about 1.30 by which time I was very hungry (sore too - can't mange both at the same time). So I had my egg mayo/lettuce wraps (2) but was still feeling empty so I finished off with another 4 of the cabbage bhajis made yesterday evening , dipped in yoghurt. That, finally, filled me and I am no longer hungry, just a little nauseous. Too much food, I expect.

I don't think I'll have the sausage casserole tonight. That would probably be too much sausage in one day and, anyway, I am beginning to go off these particular sausages again. I have some ox cheek in gravy, taken out of the freezer last night so will probably have that for my evening meal - that's if I feel ready for anything by then.

2 more of my plants arrived by courier - a bit bashed but intact. A pink blueberry and a blackberry. The blackberry really doesn't look very healthy - leaves going yellow and a bit on the dry side. But I've sat it in a tray of water and hope it will revive. Both plants need to be potted up before they climb out of their pots by themselves but I'll need to let them rest from their journey before I do anything to them. Not impressed by Thompson and Morgan. I bought them through Amazon but didn't realise that the plants would be supplied by this firm. Not that I have anything against T & M, except that their website says they won't deliver the fuchsiaberry that I want to the Island. Neil asked the garden centre in Stornoway if they could get it, but they've never heard of it! The gooseberry that came from Jurassic Plants (in Denbighshire I believe) came by Royal Mail and was in much better condition. I'll need to send Neil back to the garden centre for some bigger pots to pot these 2 plants up into.

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@SlimLizzy you are a veritable whirlwind!
@lucas1986 welcome! Only every two hours is inhuman self-restraint in my book!
@PenguinMum sorry about the salad disagreeing with you-- I ate some off mushrooms (didn't know they were too far gone at the time!) in a hotel eat-it-all-up-before-flying-home breakfast a few years ago. My flight was unhappy digestively....
@Annb pink blueberry-- what a concept! How do they taste?
Home after showing up for a dr appt 24 hours early. My PAPER calendar said today, so I blithely went through the online check-in, and glanced at all the reminder texts that kept coming in, without even noticing that the date said 6...not 5.
Bfast a fairly nasty brown avocado but not toxicly so, and I did cut off the mold!!, pecans, boiled eggs, flax crisps/dilute soy. And a bite of last night's blue cheese because somebody's got to eat it! Just now the small half of a Lindt 90% square
Lunch something basic out of the fridge
Supper spinach/hm dressing, cherry tomatoes, flax crisps/dilute soy, and something quick and protein-y.
Speaking of tomatoes, I have discovered a new flavor/texture combo that I really enjoy:
IMG_1601911925.112544.jpg
The problem is I could eat half a pound of tomatoes that way....

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@MrsA2 ROFL @ losing the taste for sweet things - others have attempted to gaslight me there. Anytime I try something sweet it is blindingly obvious what the attraction is and how things taste
@ianpspurs Sorry, I'm fairly new to this and don't understand your abreviation and comment. May I have a translation please?

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't know what they'll taste like @zauberflote. I don't eat blueberries at all, but Em does and I thought this might make an interesting change for her. We'll find out next year when it fruits. All the fruit I am trying to grow is for Em - berries aren't the best thing for me to have. Might try one or 2.

I'm going to try to pickle the latest "crop" of fuchsia berries (a 1lb jam jar full). As a fruit, they are not too sweet, but they don't go very far. I'm pickling some cucumber this evening anyway, so might as well do the fuchsia berries at the same time.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Annb your planting plans are fascinating. I never knew persimmons were called sharon fruit. It is a rite of passage here to be given an underripe persimmon to eat.... Sweet Em, to gift you with her memory and little tribute art work!
@ziggy_w it looks as if one might make that cake without the egg liqueur, yes? A great flourless cake for special occasions, and I think I'd pour the heavy cream over my slice sans liqueur and be very happy!
I still call persimmon by their Italian name - cachi (pronounced ca-key). I ate loads of them when in Italy and they were delicious there (as were tge figs). I soon learned do not eat loads of figs at once!

Reactions: zauberflote