Aren't you glad you don't eat bread?

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
Not glad I don't eat bread. One day at a time for this carb addict.
Still crave bread like vegetarians are supposed to crave bacon...

Haha Nicole I haven't eaten bacon in nearly 50 years; have never craved it. But it is about the best smell in the kitchen of a cold and dreary morning!
All the yeast breads I used to bake as toast/sandwich bread had sugar for the yeast.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
the bread i used to bake had no more than a teaspoon of sugar (15g) per 500g of flour. The Subway one used 10 %, that would be 50g

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@MrsA2 I think I used a teaspoon of sugar for each packet of yeast, and one packet of yeast per loaf. It's been SO long, but a loaf of bread would take maybe 3-4 cups flour? And more for kneading. Never made fewer than two loaves.
And then there were kids, and my job went full-time, and that was the end of that!

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Almost all commercially produced bread contains some added sugar, just not on the scale of the Subway bread.
I miss the Village Bakery's wonderful whole rye sourdough bread (from Waitrose). Only ingredients whole rye flour and salt. Before that, I used to bake my own sourdough bread with no added sugar at all.

Reactions: hankjam

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We make our own bread, the slow method with two provings. We make a batch of three loaves at a time, using organic wholemeal stoneground flour. We put in one teaspoon of sugar for the whole batch.

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
We make our own bread, the slow method with two provings. We make a batch of three loaves at a time, using organic wholemeal stoneground flour. We put in one teaspoon of sugar for the whole batch.

Lucy I did that too! I'd proof the yeast, and rise the dough twice before forming loaves, the rise the loaves. No bread maker for me!!

Reactions: lucylocket61

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Over rated subsistence vehicle to aid ingesting something more tasty e.g. bacon butty.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Over rated subsistence vehicle to aid ingesting something more tasty e.g. bacon butty.
You must have only had very poor quality bread. Proper artisan sourdough is one of man's finest creations - pity I can't eat it any more.

Reactions: zauberflote

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
You must have only had very poor quality bread. Proper artisan sourdough is one of man's finest creations - pity I can't eat it any more.
When I was growing up the smell of freshly baked bread messed with the senses and bread used to last 3 days. The context in which "we" now live makes this an irrelevant lament, as 88% of people are metabolically sick (I think it is reasonable to use American numbers as a generalisation). If many tried to eat even a 2 sourdough sandwiches with butter and bacon the results would be a disaster (80 / 20 rule), even excluding the obligatory ketchup.

I think if "we" had eaten from birth sourdough bread, whole food starches, meat, fish, dairy as tolerated and seasonal local fruit etc, it might have been possible not to get broken; to demonstrate this in my n of 1, I did a apple test, which I will post in another thread after work today. I think the propensity to broken-ness is even worse being born to to parents who themselves have been exposed to fast foods (witnessed by increases in average fbg increasing in a generation). If sourdough bread "worked" in the context of metabolic sickness, this community would have highlighted this over the years along with other low carb sites, so unfortunately this is just nostalgic.

Reactions: AloeSvea

Roggg

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Won’t lie... I miss bread. Sugar or no sugar.

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I still bake sourdough for the family......
sigh.

Newlysweet

I notice that MacDs bun ‘bread’ is even higher sugar content than subways’ - wonder if they’re slipping it through as zero rated for VAT too?