Slacking big time!!!

Guitarman63

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I feel your pain! I've fairly recently gone low carb and the two things I really miss are French bread and potatoes. I never had a particularly sweet tooth but having said that I do have a very nice very low carb chocolate cake my wife made me in the fridge! Something like that might cheer you up as a treat. There are some keto flatbreads and pitta breads you can make, not quite the real thing but better than nothing. It does get a bit disheatening when the numbers look bad but it is all worth it in the end.

mojo37

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I feel your pain! I've fairly recently gone low carb and the two things I really miss are French bread and potatoes. I never had a particularly sweet tooth but having said that I do have a very nice very low carb chocolate cake my wife made me in the fridge! Something like that might cheer you up as a treat. There are some keto flatbreads and pitta breads you can make, not quite the real thing but better than nothing. It does get a bit disheatening when the numbers look bad but it is all worth it in the end.
I love bread and find it spikes my bg quite bad so I have to be really strict with the amount I can have . Before I developed diabetes I thought it was sweet things that were the cause not carbs ...silly me o_O

Guitarman63

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I love bread and find it spikes my bg quite bad so I have to be really strict with the amount I can have . Before I developed diabetes I thought it was sweet things that were the cause not carbs ...silly me o_O

Me too. I have learnt a vast amount from this forum. As a newly diagnosed prediabetic I was advised by my GP about diet (there being a natural assumption that your current diet must be terrible!;)). It turned out it was terrible because I was following a low fat low dairy diet following a heart attack in 2019. The advice on diet for a prediabetic was basically the same and included plenty of slow release carbs! As soon as I got my BG meter I saw the result of eating baked potatoes and porridge oats when I saw my highest ever postprandial reading of over 13. I'm determined to have next year's A1c test at the very least at the bottom end of the prediabetes range instead of right at the top as it was at 47. :playful:

Nobody should get disheartened if they have setbacks. Everyone's system reacts differently to different foods and until you know your system it's just a question of 'test, test, test'. :D (And record the results with food eaten, time of day etc and eventually a pattern will emerge).

Paulm80

I seem to have a different problem in that I can safely say that I don't crave carbs, just bread. Pasta, rice, potato, cake, biscuit, chocolate . . . . I have no interest whatsoever, but then the sweeter things never were a problem. May I ask, when craving carbs would a slice of bread satisfy that craving, in other words would any carb do or is it specific carbs that you crave.

I cannot afford to give in to my bread craving because I know how it affects my BG and ultimately my HbA1c. Others might be luckier and be able to tolerate some. My carbs come from vegetables which I eat a lot of but I have to keep below 50 gms a day.

I have two pieces of bread every morning - livlife only 3.8g per slice