GAD antibody negative

Amy2993

Its the unintended weightloss before diagnosis that is one of the signs of T1, not weightloss after

Sorry maybe I didn’t make it clear. I was replying to the previous message that was suggesting weight loss would help control type 2 diabetes if that’s what I had. Was saying I’ve not changed my diet since diagnosis. So didn’t think I was controlling it through weight loss after diagnosis. But yes I lost weight before (like a type 1)

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
But yes I lost weight before (like a type 1)
Yeah sorry that's what I was trying to say, that your weightloss was indeed more indiciative of T1 (but its getting late and I'm getting tired :))

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
I have wondered if it could be type 2, I was overweight until a year or two ago were I lost considerable weight, I’m 26.

Would be levels be normal without any medication or eating healthy if I was type 2? Do they have some sort of honeymoon phase?
My step dad was t2 and was hospitalised with dka.. before he died he lost a lot of weight and actually had to stop insulin as his diabetes had reversed

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. It will be essential for you to have a C-peptide test to measure your insulin output. Not only are there quite a few different antibodies and not all are tested for but viruses can also cause beta cell death; something only recently being understood. So make sure you have the C-peptide as this could be the clincher one way or another

Reactions: ert

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Its the unintended weightloss before diagnosis that is one of the signs of T1, not weightloss after

I lost half a stone very abruptly just before my T2 diagnosis.
That was one of the symptoms.
Very high BG as well (although I can't recall the exact number).
So:
tired
sudden weight loss
constant urination.

Finger prick test at Lloyds Pharmacy.

Ooops!

GP.

The rest is history.

oldgreymare

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Commuting, overcrowded spaces, especially after the arrival of covid-19...
As @Daibell mentioned, a c-peptide test is probably the most useful next investigation. C peptide is an indicator of your body's current insulin production - a low value suggests beta cells burning out and is considered typical of T1 (or severe later stage T2), while a high value suggests insulin resistance and is more characteristic of T2. If you are not currently taking insulin, another possibility is to order a glucose tolerance test (GTT) but make sure that insulin levels are measured, not just blood glucose levels. Do you know what your BG levels were when you were diagnosed with DKA and was it treated by additional insulin, or just hydration? Have you had a HbA1c test yet?

Amy2993

As @Daibell mentioned, a c-peptide test is probably the most useful next investigation. C peptide is an indicator of your body's current insulin production - a low value suggests beta cells burning out and is considered typical of T1 (or severe later stage T2), while a high value suggests insulin resistance and is more characteristic of T2. If you are not currently taking insulin, another possibility is to order a glucose tolerance test (GTT) but make sure that insulin levels are measured, not just blood glucose levels. Do you know what your BG levels were when you were diagnosed with DKA and was it treated by additional insulin, or just hydration? Have you had a HbA1c test yet?

Yes had my HBA1C done 2 weeks ago it was 33. Well the paramedic said my BG was 14, my ketones levels were 6.1, never told anything else, never had a HBA1C in hospital.

Yes was treated with insulin intravenously then started on 42U spread across bolus and basal. But my needs reduced until I didn’t need any insulin about 4 weeks ago now. Was diaonogsed in June’s

Reactions: oldgreymare

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I agree with the others that you need a c-peptide test. You don't just randomly get DKA out of the blue, you need to work out why it happened (hopefully your consultant will work it out). Just a thought, you say you were on prescription medication before the DKA, did these include steroids?