Gluten Free Shampoo

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I bought some Herbal Essences shampoo yesterday, which says it is gluten free. Not having any problem with gluten myself I wonder if anyone is so sensitive to gluten they can't even tolerate it on their hair?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
More likely to be skin than hair I would hazard a guess?
Why would shampoo ever have gluten in it though..

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I bought some Herbal Essences shampoo yesterday, which says it is gluten free. Not having any problem with gluten myself I wonder if anyone is so sensitive to gluten they can't even tolerate it on their hair?

I've never knowingly had issues with my scalp, but if my OH has a sandwich at lunch, several days on the trot (I am lunch chef), then my hands, particularly my fingertips, become scaly if I don't wear food prep gloves.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people

If digestive, then yes, this is what my dietician said when I asked a question about kissing someone who had eaten gluten and it could still be on their lips, so could it make me ill, she said only if digested. I am coeliac and have seen tv adverts for this brand of shampoo and I had no idea gluten was actually in shampoo, I will take a look at the shampoo's I have at home.
Edited ; I see no reason why gluten should be in shampoo.

Last edited:

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
More likely to be skin than hair I would hazard a guess?
Why would shampoo ever have gluten in it though..

Have a look at wheat germ oil shampoo in google and you'll see plenty. Similarly many body lotion/hand creams contain it.

All good clean sport. :)

Reactions: EllieM
D

Deleted member 308541

I get a number one clipper cut hair cut, and I use pure soap as a shampoo, could not see gluten mentioned.

Cheap as well... :D

Selene25

Hi there ! I'm new here, pleased to meet you everybody :) I'm suffering from celiac disease and from a nickel allergy too. I mainly use nickel-free shampoo and, to tell the truth, I didn't know that gluten could be within such products...however, I haven't had any problems. I must also underline that celiac disease consist in an intolerance towards gluten, while a gluten allergy is totally something else. I think people tend to misunderstand this significant difference

Selene25

Hi there ! I'm new here, pleased to meet you everybody :) I'm suffering from celiac disease and from a nickel allergy too. I mainly use nickel-free shampoo and, to tell the truth, I didn't know that gluten could be within such products...however, I haven't had any problems. I must also underline that celiac disease consist in an intolerance towards gluten, while a gluten allergy is totally something else. I think people tend to misunderstand this significant difference
Consists in* sorry

Selene25

Therefore, I think those who suffer from gluten allergy could have some problems with glutened shampoo....

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
I use high fat, high protein conditioner lol! Made with coconut oil and whipped egg whites, at least that’s what it says on the package.

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I get a number one clipper cut hair cut, and I use pure soap as a shampoo, could not see gluten mentioned.

Cheap as well... :D
Yes, I've just been using bar soap for shampoo and shaving for years now, and my skin and hair are in nice condition- that's including growing my hair to near shoulder length too, not just short.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
In answer to the OP, yes, gluten intolerance and coeliac come in different sensitivities, depending on the person.
There are indeed people so sensitive that skin contact can cause a reaction, although the majority of NCGI (non-coeliac gluten intolerance) and coeliacs can tolerate some skin contact.

(I have heard of someone going into anaphylactic shock from walking through a flour mill and breathing in minute amounts of wheat flour in the air).