Flu jab

Carl W

Does everyone here had or having their flu jab, or does it not make a difference do you think? I’ve had a text from GP saying to make an appointment, and just wondering if it’s necessary for us.
Thanks

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
Flu jab is apparently 11% effective.
How can they arrive at any figure with any certainty?

Attachments

• Flulaval-Influenza-Virus-Vaccine-2012-2014-Formula-No-Controlled-Trials-600.jpg
    Flulaval-Influenza-Virus-Vaccine-2012-2014-Formula-No-Controlled-Trials-600.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 111

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Flu jab is apparently 11% effective.
How can they arrive at any figure with any certainty?

that info was for the 2013-14 jab.
Do you have any info for more recent vaccines?

I do recall that there was a bit of a furore a few years ago 2? 3? whereby it was leaked that the over 65’s jab was ineffective and offered nil or minimal protection - effectively a massive waste of healthcare time and money.

It is always a gamble. They have to start manufacturing the jab a year before the flu season starts, so they have to make prophetic decisions on which flu strain will dominate and hope they pick the right ones. If they get it wrong, the vaccine won’t target the flu that is circulating that year.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I've had mine done for over ten years, and it was three years ago that the jab was useless. I also had my pneumonia jab in 2015 for future health. Do ask your GP if you are eligible.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
I get a letter telling me I'm eligible come in and get it.
I ignore it every year and I've had flu once in my lifetime.

RFSMarch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I missed mine for some reason last year... and when I went into the pharmacy to order more meds, I basically was told to have it right now.
I did protest a little as I was trundling down to Pompey the next day for a round of golf. Then again - I dare say given that my handicap is essentially my bag of clubs, it wouldn't have made much difference!

ETA: Just had an automated text from the surgery and tried to ring them to tell them I already had it. They are furious... automated text has just jammed their switchboard!

I think I have had them since 2017 and missed it in 2019 so since my T2 diagnosis ... and deffo flagged for it since I turned 50...

Reactions: OrsonKartt