Type 2 New tablets, big tummy issues....AGAIN!!!

Skyping

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
diets!!
All,

After some advice as a relatively new type 2 whose changed tablets twice since been diagnosed and has got tummy issues almost every night.....

I have been on Sukkarto 1000mg twice per day (morning and night) and atorvastatin 10mg (at night), for about 3 months, I seem to have developed a really bad tummy at night only irrespective of what I eat or when I eat. This happens nightly @ 3 hours after my main meal and is both painful and very time consuming :(

Wondering if anyone has / is experiencing this and if so what / how did they get out of this reoccurring?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kevin

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding
All,

After some advice as a relatively new type 2 whose changed tablets twice since been diagnosed and has got tummy issues almost every night.....

I have been on Sukkarto 1000mg twice per day (morning and night) and atorvastatin 10mg (at night), for about 3 months, I seem to have developed a really bad tummy at night only irrespective of what I eat or when I eat. This happens nightly @ 3 hours after my main meal and is both painful and very time consuming :(

Wondering if anyone has / is experiencing this and if so what / how did they get out of this reoccurring?

Kevin
Hi @Skyping It would be interesting to know what sort of level your blood sugar is when you go to bed. Hyperglycaemia used to give me Montezuma's Revenge regularly. Just a thought.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Hi @Skyping

Sukkarto is basicaly Metformin and many people do experience tummy trouble with Metformin.

With Sukkarto the most common adverse reactions are nausea, vomiting, diarrhoea, abdominal pain and loss of appetite, which resolve spontaneously in most cases.

And as with metformin there is a slow release version Sukkarto SR which may relieve some of those side effects.

Though of course it would be best to discuss this with your doctor as the symptoms you are experiencing may be unrelated to your medication.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Make sure you are having Sukarto SR (Slow Release) or an equivalent SR brand. Statins rarely cause stomach upset.

Skyping

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
diets!!
Hi @Skyping It would be interesting to know what sort of level your blood sugar is when you go to bed. Hyperglycaemia used to give me Montezuma's Revenge regularly. Just a thought.
Thanks you for your reply Grant.....Interestingly I have been diagnosed with hyperglycemia in the past so perhaps this could be an avenue to explore. By the way, I don't measure my sugar levels, so do you recommend a device to use?

Skyping

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
diets!!
Hi @Skyping

Sukkarto is basicaly Metformin and many people do experience tummy trouble with Metformin.

With Sukkarto the most common adverse reactions are nausea, vomiting, diarrhoea, abdominal pain and loss of appetite, which resolve spontaneously in most cases.

And as with metformin there is a slow release version Sukkarto SR which may relieve some of those side effects.

Though of course it would be best to discuss this with your doctor as the symptoms you are experiencing may be unrelated to your medication.
Thank you for your reply John. I really think that the slow release may be a way forward as my symptoms happen 99.9% at night between 10-11pm after the last dose of Sukkarto.......think a trip to the doctors is in order!

Skyping

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
diets!!
Hi. Make sure you are having Sukarto SR (Slow Release) or an equivalent SR brand. Statins rarely cause stomach upset.
Thank you for your reply. The more I read up about the slow release version, the more sensible it becomes. So, I think a chat to the doctor may well be in order!

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding
Thanks you for your reply Grant.....Interestingly I have been diagnosed with hyperglycemia in the past so perhaps this could be an avenue to explore. By the way, I don't measure my sugar levels, so do you recommend a device to use?
Hi Kevin, I have just copied a very helpful post fro @Rachox :

Hi @Visualiza and welcome to the forum!

Here’s some info on UK meters, and to be clear I have no commercial connections with any of the companies mentioned.

Spirit Healthcare have a meter with cheap strips, the Tee2 + found here:

http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/product/tee2-plus-blood-glucose-meter/

with the strips found here:

http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/product/tee2-testing-strips/

Some members have got a free Tee2+ by phoning up to order, with a large order of strips they often throw the meter in for free:

Phone number 0800 8815423

With more expensive strips is their Caresens Dual which I currently use, this one has the advantage of glucose and ketone testing in one machine, it’s to be found here:

https://shop.spirit-health.co.uk/collections/caresens-dual

Home Health have recently bought out this one, but I haven’t heard any reviews yet, links to strips and the meter:

https://homehealth-uk.com/all-products/glucose-navii-blood-glucose-test-strips-50-strip-pack/

There are also discount codes for when you come to buy more strips - "navii5" and "navii10" will give you 20% off purchases of 5 packs of strips and 25% off 10 packs of strips respectively (these are printed on a business card supplied with the meter).

And to be totally transparent I used to use the SD Code Free from Home Health which has the cheapest strips available if bought in quantities of 5 or 10 pots with the codes below. However I found it to be becoming less and less reliable. Here it is for anyone wanting to give it a go, just bear in mind it seems they are replacing it with the Navii, details above.

http://homehealth-uk.com/product-category/blood-glucose/blood-glucose-monitor/

and here for the extra strips

http://homehealth-uk.com/all-products/sd-codefree-test-strips-to-be-used-only-with-the-sd-monitor/

There are discount codes if you buy in bulk.

5 packs 264086

10 packs 975833

Don’t forget to check the box if you have pre diabetes or diabetes so you can buy VAT free. (for all meters and strips)

Rachox is infinitely more informed on meters than I am. The last time I used one it would have been rated as a Morris Minor!

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
All,

Kevin

What kind of things are you currently eating?
I experienced a similar reaction to both types of metformin so changed what I ate and ditched the medication.
Win win!

lessci

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Do you eat carbs with your evening meal? Before I discovered LCHF thanks to the folks on here I got the usual reaction with Metformin. Now I don't have any problems regularly (just my "normal" IBS hormonal issues)

Skyping

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
diets!!
Hi Kevin, I have just copied a very helpful post fro @Rachox :

Hi @Visualiza and welcome to the forum!

Here’s some info on UK meters, and to be clear I have no commercial connections with any of the companies mentioned.

Spirit Healthcare have a meter with cheap strips, the Tee2 + found here:

http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/product/tee2-plus-blood-glucose-meter/

with the strips found here:

http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/product/tee2-testing-strips/

Some members have got a free Tee2+ by phoning up to order, with a large order of strips they often throw the meter in for free:

Phone number 0800 8815423

With more expensive strips is their Caresens Dual which I currently use, this one has the advantage of glucose and ketone testing in one machine, it’s to be found here:

https://shop.spirit-health.co.uk/collections/caresens-dual

Home Health have recently bought out this one, but I haven’t heard any reviews yet, links to strips and the meter:

https://homehealth-uk.com/all-products/glucose-navii-blood-glucose-test-strips-50-strip-pack/

There are also discount codes for when you come to buy more strips - "navii5" and "navii10" will give you 20% off purchases of 5 packs of strips and 25% off 10 packs of strips respectively (these are printed on a business card supplied with the meter).

And to be totally transparent I used to use the SD Code Free from Home Health which has the cheapest strips available if bought in quantities of 5 or 10 pots with the codes below. However I found it to be becoming less and less reliable. Here it is for anyone wanting to give it a go, just bear in mind it seems they are replacing it with the Navii, details above.

http://homehealth-uk.com/product-category/blood-glucose/blood-glucose-monitor/

and here for the extra strips

http://homehealth-uk.com/all-products/sd-codefree-test-strips-to-be-used-only-with-the-sd-monitor/

There are discount codes if you buy in bulk.

5 packs 264086

10 packs 975833

Don’t forget to check the box if you have pre diabetes or diabetes so you can buy VAT free. (for all meters and strips)

Rachox is infinitely more informed on meters than I am. The last time I used one it would have been rated as a Morris Minor!
thanks Grant....absolutely awesome!!!!

Reactions: Grant_Vicat

Skyping

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
diets!!
I experienced a similar reaction to both types of metformin so changed what I ate and ditched the medication.
Win win!
Win win!
Nothing out of the ordinary!!! Basic meal and 4/7 days a little bit of dessert. Incidentally, what did you change your diet to?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Incidentally, what did you change your diet to?

Intermittent fasting (nothing until after 12 noon) and ketogenic.

Have since moved more towards a meat based carnivore way of eating (no veg prep so far less time in the kitchen!).

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
@Skyping, it looks like you are on the standard-ish pathway for a diagnosed Type 2, i.e. Metformin and a statin. It may have already been in your thoughts, but have you considered attempting reversal or remission. Metformin helps with insulin resistance and is purported to be heart protective.....but if you reverse your Type 2, you will improve your IR and your profile does not say you have had a stroke or heart attack, so statins can be re-considered (more tend to die who have so called normal cholesterol).

So I am appealing to the engineer in you to review your diabetes like an engineering project, I know that over 50% of the respondents on this thread have opted for the lifestyle over drugs route, with no looking back.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
@Skyping I note that you are being very shy about sharing what you eat. No need to be.

Couple of things:

(1) Do you take your Metformin with your evening meals? This usually helps.

(2) Do you have many carbohydrates with your evening meal? The few times I have had a bad reaction I have tied it to a carbohydrate heavy meal (bad me).