What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Monday bed 6.5 FBG 6 - @ianpspurs - glad to read your DIL is resting comfortably. @ziggy_w sorry to read you are under the weather but hopefully it's just a short term thing. I thought I was scheduled for another bug on Monday thanks to Hubby but it turned out just to be a 24 hr thing. @ianpspurs - think I need another eye test. I read that link as the good goldfish guide!
B. TAG
L. Quite early - another SLC sandwich with prawns & lettuce. Large mug of veggie broth.
D. Didn't eat much of it but beef skewers with a chilli rub and the remains of the cauli mash. Oven roasted a mix of onions, peppers and mushrooms but ate very little.
Another veggie broth.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Tuesday Bed 6.3 FBG 6. Feeling more or less normal again. I rested most of Monday apart from taking the boys to school and back again and thankfully on Monday they wanted to get home early to play with friends so I was able to get home, hot shower and cosy dressing gown on. @Annb - I can so relate to trying to get about at night. My legs seize up and it takes a good while of tottering about to get them functional.
B. TAG and a slice of SLC toast and pate.
L. Slice of roast pork and a couple of Dairylea triangles.
D. Tex mex chicken breast. Chicken breast stuffed with cheese and a tomato/chilli sauce with the spicy bean mix.
Halo Top strawberry cheesecake and raspberries.

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@ianpspurs glad baby and mama are fine. Please thank her for her nursing service! I will wait for Christmas. Last year (?year before?) I got myself an IP for Christmas, pretty sure.
@Annb hugs for all the bits and pieces! Getting up in the middle of the night can be staggery for me too unless I am willing to wake up all the way.
@maglil55 glad you could rest and nest Monday!!
Yesterday turned into the Marilea Food Festival (street name). I started eating lunch and while my stomach wasn't starving, and my head seemed to agree, the rest of the body wished for two kinds of cheese, a boiled egg, and chocolate. Was this major feeding a cause for my lack of "overall (as opposed to specific muscle group)" fatigue during barre class? Supper was the same way. Didn't help that I was making smashed potatoes for MrZF either. Had some spoons and scrapings of those but I swear it was just for the butter!!!!
Today is feeling like it might be more moderate.
Bfast avocado, pecans, 2 boiled eggs, flax crisps/dilute soymilk and 1+ squares Lindt 90%.
Mixed up a "test batch" (which I will have to eat anyway!) of a "bread" composed of all the above ingredients except eggs beaten not boiled. It's in the oven, very moist and jiggly sort of like a quiche, which wasn't at all what I had in mind! Turned up oven and giving another 13 minutes. Whatever it is will next be cooled, sliced, and moderately well toasted to dry it out. Can't have toast that flops like a slice of Oscar Meyer bologna!!
IMG_1602083521.028684.jpg

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Excitement!
My Lizza pasta arrived today. I used to loooove pasta, and while oomi noodle style protein noodles are acceptable, am always interested in finding alternatives. So we will be trying some tonight with the last of the lamb ras el hanout. Just to see wot it is like. Dreadfully un-authentic (should be couscous) but I expect we will survive.

Also in the box were some sachets of poppy, apple and cinnamon, and chocolate mug cake mixes (just to try, of course!) and a big packet of bread mix that should make 2 or 3 big granary style loaves.

Unfortunately, the delivery is a little mis-timed. It has arrived at the beginning of Mr B's Long Wait. The wait between him finishing off his 3rd loaf of Keto-life bread, and the next batch being delivered. The delivery took 10 days last time. So that is 10 days when he is likely to have his beady eyes on MY Lizza bread mixes. I have gently suggested that next time he should order earlier.

Fortunately, he 'believes' that he doesn't know how to cook my Lizza mug rolls.
Phew!
I have omitted to tell him that I was in exactly the same boat, until I bothered to look at the instructions on the packet! :hilarious:

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Mixed up a "test batch" (which I will have to eat anyway!) of a "bread" composed of all the above ingredients except eggs beaten not boiled. It's in the oven, very moist and jiggly sort of like a quiche, which wasn't at all what I had in mind! Turned up oven and giving another 13 minutes. Whatever it is will next be cooled, sliced, and moderately well toasted to dry it out. Can't have toast that flops like a slice of Oscar ]

What quantities?

Reactions: zauberflote

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
What quantities?

6 generous tbsp flax meal
salt (actually potassium) and cinnamon to taste
8 tbsp water, allow to sit a few min then add a little flax just because and then
Whisk 2 eggs and whisk flax mix in, then mash
1/2 avocado, and switch to power mixer. Beat well
Stir in a handful of pecans, very finely chopped
Bake in whatever you like (would have used mini loaf pan if I knew where they were)
I baked in round pyrex at 350F conventional (not fan, I don't even know what that is!) for 20 min, then set timer for 13 min more and turned oven up to 375F. That happened to be perfect.
It raised up very prettily, and as it cools is sinking back down. I think I will slice it fairly thick and bake again on very low for "avocado cinnamon pecan zweiback"!
This is intended as a travelling meal, for when I have to leave the house at 0700 to go watch my baby grandson. It is not going to be on my top 10 list of tasty foods, that I know. Needs must. We had a screaming baby day last week; mommy can't teach virtually with squalling baby, daddy was home with an injured back and freaked out about mommy having to hear crying, I had had a terrible night and HAD to eat breakfast before I took the baby out for a long walk, and breakfast was not convenient to either eat quickly or take with me. This stuff will be convenient, LC, and have what I need in it. Would MUCH rather my banana bread could be on the menu lol

Last edited:
Reactions: maglil55

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m way behind here so will post my last couple of days before reading back on everyone else’s.
Today I had a gorgeous sandwich made with the Seriously Low Carb bread, bacon, avocado, lettuce, tomato and mayo that was lunch after a lot of coffee and gym session earlier.
Mid afternoon DGF coffee&walnut cake with cup o’ tea.
Dinner https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/keto-lemon-garlic-butter-salmon-with-almonds-and-chili which was really nice but beware if you try it - I measured out the required quantity of sliced almonds, put them in the pan and proceeded to eat most of the remainder of the pack while I was cooking.
Yesterday I can’t remember except we went out to eat to celebrate No 2 daughter’s birthday: Cod and crayfish Thermidor which was a wonderful bowl of cheesy fishy loveliness.
Now to try to catch up

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
@DJC3 that salmon recipe called me! I expect I will throw all the almonds into the garlic sauté, and call them chili peppers. I have an ancient filet of salmon from last winter, air-sealed and lurking patiently in the freezer.
Lunch was chocolate and cottage cheese
Supper maybe grill some Costco salmon burgers to go with the spinach/hm dressing and flax crisps/dilute soymilk

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and raspberry phd bar.
Mid afternoon at a coffee shop: coconut cappuccino and some coconut bites.
Dinner: ‘spaghetti’ carbonara with a sprinkling of grated mature cheddar, made with Lizza pasta twists ( @Brunneria I use Lizza pasta occasionally and find it very acceptable) followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.

BB483600-C91B-4E17-85DF-21AD8173EE2A.jpeg

Last edited:

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Rachox we really enjoyed the pasta. Stuffed now! Sooooo filling. its like a firm al dente wholemeal pasta, and picks up sauce beautifully! Good job I bought 4 packs on their special offer. Looks like we may have honest to goodness macaroni cheese in the near future.

So far my delicate innards haven’t reacted to the Lizza fibre (and there is MASSES of fibre in both their pasta and breads), so it must be the veg that my guts object to, not the fibre. Which is ace, because it is allowing me to spread my wings a bit, without the torture that green stuff causes.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Rachox we really enjoyed the pasta. Stuffed now! Sooooo filling. its like a firm al dente wholemeal pasta, and picks up sauce beautifully! Good job I bought 4 packs on their special offer. Looks like we may have honest to goodness macaroni cheese in the near future.

So far my delicate innards haven’t reacted to the Lizza fibre (and there is MASSES of fibre in both their pasta and breads), so it must be the veg that my guts object to, not the fibre. Which is ace, because it is allowing me to spread my wings a bit, without the torture that green stuff causes.

Oh macaroni cheese! Why didn’t I think of that? :hungry:

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B ff greek with choc granola
L a very disappointing pub burger. Chewy meat, broccoli so undercooked it was crunchy. Overpriced and overhyped
D h/m soup from 1 leeks 2 carrots and half a caulifower. Added seasoning and little chilli. Yum. A little decent cheese and a 90 sec mug bread

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Et voila (or as they seem to say here, walla, spelled "viola"! I have a few viola playing friends who are scratching their heads....), the zweiback! Before second baking, it was dense, moist, and held together better than I had expected. I didn't dry it out all the way, but it will be very easy to eat. Stored airtight for Friday.
IMG_1602111781.803889.jpg

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
yea feeling great.. even managed to get in 22k steps today too

For the time being, unless you start feeling unwell, or get too skinny, I'd go with the flow.

In normies, appetite can ebb and flow. With disrupted, slightly wonky metabolisms, our hunger patterns can also go into overdrive sometimes. A few folks comment their appetite reduces as they reduce the carbs, and maybe take on board a bit more fat, which tends to keep us feeling full.

Obviously, if you feel unwell, and that persists too, then it's time to think again.