Freestyle Libre sensor not being read correctly

brucie75

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi

During the last month or so, my Librelink app on my phone has increasingly not been able to take readings from my sensor. I have had used 3 sensors during this time, and have had the same problem in varying degrees with each sensor. Because of this, I have had gaps in the 24-hour graphs on the app. The error messages are either "The smartphone was unable to scan the sensor" (Scan error 335) or "Glucose reading is unavailable" (Sensor error 373). It still takes readings without any problem on occasions though so I know the sensor is still working.

I replaced my smartphone at the end of August - this does seem to be when the problems started. My previous smartphone was ok. Is it possibly my new phone causing these issues?

Any thoughts much appreciated.

David

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Is it an iPhone by chance? I've heard there have been issues caused by the latest updates by Apple.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
You might want to try holding a different part of your phone to your sensor.
Took me a while to find out the best spot fot my phones. With both my Samsungs it worked best when I held the top back flat against it, with my Huawei it works best to press the top end to it.

Bucksgirl

Hi David, I had this problem with my iPhone 7, caused by a glitch with the Libre update apparently. Not being funny but have you tried turning the phone fully off and on again? Fixed it for me.

Glucobabu

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Libre functionality on my iPhone 7 has gone quite haywire over the last month or so. Sometimes it doesn’t scan at all or gives a reading after repeated scans. Often the reading is on the screen but it’s still telling to scan and the ‘ping’ registers after 15/20 seconds delay. The screen flips over 2/3 times showing the same result multiple times. The Libre helpline advised me to update my iPhone which I did but made no difference. It works intermittently and it seems I’ll have to learn to live with this! My guess is Freestyle’s latest update has messed things up for older iPhones!

lgrenter

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Sprouts, broccoli,racism,arguing
I have been having the same kind of problems as you all report. I have put it down to the last apple update. My phone updated before I updated the libre app. Once updated it could not seem to scan the sensor on first try like before. I just press cancel and then it finds it straight away second go! I updated the app thinking this would sort it but it’s still the same. Also notice that sometimes I don’t get a ping or vibration on scan now....shows no reading and then suddenly appears when away from sensor!

• Friendly
Reactions: Arthur09

brucie75

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Libre functionality on my iPhone 7 has gone quite haywire over the last month or so. Sometimes it doesn’t scan at all or gives a reading after repeated scans. Often the reading is on the screen but it’s still telling to scan and the ‘ping’ registers after 15/20 seconds delay. The screen flips over 2/3 times showing the same result multiple times. The Libre helpline advised me to update my iPhone which I did but made no difference. It works intermittently and it seems I’ll have to learn to live with this! My guess is Freestyle’s latest update has messed things up for older iPhones!

This does sound quite familiar to the problems I am having. I have a Samsung A20 which, I think, is quite a new phone. Correct me if I'm wrong! My previous phone was a Nokia 5 but I did not have these problems at that time.

brucie75

Type of diabetes
Type 1
You might want to try holding a different part of your phone to your sensor.
Took me a while to find out the best spot fot my phones. With both my Samsungs it worked best when I held the top back flat against it, with my Huawei it works best to press the top end to it.

I have a Samsung too but I hold it in the same place every time. Sometimes, it reads the sensor with no problem at all.

Dianemacfaden

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ugliness
Hi

During the last month or so, my Librelink app on my phone has increasingly not been able to take readings from my sensor. I have had used 3 sensors during this time, and have had the same problem in varying degrees with each sensor. Because of this, I have had gaps in the 24-hour graphs on the app. The error messages are either "The smartphone was unable to scan the sensor" (Scan error 335) or "Glucose reading is unavailable" (Sensor error 373). It still takes readings without any problem on occasions though so I know the sensor is still working.

I replaced my smartphone at the end of August - this does seem to be when the problems started. My previous smartphone was ok. Is it possibly my new phone causing these issues?

Any thoughts much appreciated.

David
Hi there
I have been having the same issues recently with my iPhone 7 not reading my sensor like it used to. So many unsuccessful goes before it eventually reads it. I read about the recent update causing issues and have just re booted my phone and now it seems to be ok.

Alectron

As a very long term type1 Diabetic I have used many methods of checking my B.S and yes Urine too.
As a result, and being on the original survey team to asses suitability, which I have to admit, they most certainly are. I have used Libre sensors ever since.
Starting with Libre 1 there were only very minimal failures mostly not even worth mentioning, accuracy was in the region of about 8-10% and glucose change-time detection was in the region of 20 minutes.
While not being on any survey team anymore, Libre 2 sensor detection has proved to be just about the same but reliability seems to be a real problem.
My own experience says that about 1/3 failure is normal but after making many complaints and lengthy phone calls to report is very tiresome indeed. They will replace the sensors but this can take about 1 wk, not good if it's your last sensor.
Out of frustration I'm trialling another type of sensor for my future!

Alectron

I'm using the app and a Samsung smartphone.
I'm so sick of the misreads and failed sensors that I'm seriously considering using an alternative type.
I've again had two sensors fail, one which didn't work at all from 60 min start and second which gave constant errors 335 and 365.
I don't have an any more and the Christmas holidays are upon us.
This is more than I can take.
Also, the telephone helpline takes ages with the same mundane questions which is really annoying.
I've made many complaints to them, well 17 last year 2022, but get the same negative responses.

Last edited:

Lindy49

As a very long term type1 Diabetic I have used many methods of checking my B.S and yes Urine too.
As a result, and being on the original survey team to asses suitability, which I have to admit, they most certainly are. I have used Libre sensors ever since.
Starting with Libre 1 there were only very minimal failures mostly not even worth mentioning, accuracy was in the region of about 8-10% and glucose change-time detection was in the region of 20 minutes.
While not being on any survey team anymore, Libre 2 sensor detection has proved to be just about the same but reliability seems to be a real problem.
My own experience says that about 1/3 failure is normal but after making many complaints and lengthy phone calls to report is very tiresome indeed. They will replace the sensors but this can take about 1 wk, not good if it's your last sensor.
Out of frustration I'm trialling another type of sensor for my future!
Which one are you trialing. I have only had 2 so far and both went down in less than 24 hours. I was beginning to think I had broken them in some way but from what you guys say I think it might not be my fault.