Switching to Tresiba

TypeZero.

Hi all,

Currently on 14u of Lantus and I’ve been researching Tresiba for a bit now as I’m interested in switching to it. Lots of issues with Lantus that’s why: night highs and midday lows.

My main concern is dosing. Everywhere online it says inject once daily but and this is a big but, it says it last up to 42hours!!!! That’s nearly 2 days! So if I took Tresiba tomorrow morning and the next morning aswell I’m going to be double-dosed. So why are they saying inject once daily? Please can anyone with Tresiba experience help?

I’m really considering switching to it due to lower statistical chance of hypo but just confused on the whole dosing

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It is still once a day, but you may find you need less of it than you did with the Lantus because it lasts longer - I found I still needed the same amount as it happens but it definitely calmed down my overnight hypos when I changed.
Trying to take it every 36 or 42 hours (I thought it was supposed to last about 36 hours) would be a nightmare with timing - so it'd be really difficult to do that.

TypeZero.

It is still once a day, but you may find you need less of it than you did with the Lantus because it lasts longer - I found I still needed the same amount as it happens but it definitely calmed down my overnight hypos when I changed.
Trying to take it every 36 or 42 hours (I thought it was supposed to last about 36 hours) would be a nightmare with timing - so it'd be really difficult to do that.

So you injected Tresiba once daily and despite having a double dose nothing happened?

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I take my Tresiba once a day and I needed the same dose as I did for my Lantus when I switched.
I had the same doubts as you have, but the switch went just fine, no overlapping effects.

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
So you injected Tresiba once daily and despite having a double dose nothing happened?
Yep, no fighting off hypos (well unless I miscalculated the bolus).

However due to its long-lasting-ness, any dosage changes with Tresiba can take a few days to filter through

annliggins

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Apparently according to my consultant ...treseba "pools " and from there releases gradually so each dose delivered waits and drips out into your body. He said theres no build up so its the insulin of choice for people who are really bad at remembering their insulin . I switched from levimir no prob ...it is a slow responder so it takes me 5 days to react to a change in dose eg if im going to a hot climate ill always reduce 4 days before getting there. Its a flat profile insulin so it works for me as i tended to go low at night.

Rylando88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I recently changed from lantus to tresiba myself and was having some issues but have now split my dose into 2 - half in the AM e.g. 7am and half later on e.g. 1pm (times vary but you could split it to suit you)
It seems to have helped a lot with the night time hypos! X

Choosehappy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hypos!
Hi all,

Currently on 14u of Lantus and I’ve been researching Tresiba for a bit now as I’m interested in switching to it. Lots of issues with Lantus that’s why: night highs and midday lows.

My main concern is dosing. Everywhere online it says inject once daily but and this is a big but, it says it last up to 42hours!!!! That’s nearly 2 days! So if I took Tresiba tomorrow morning and the next morning aswell I’m going to be double-dosed. So why are they saying inject once daily? Please can anyone with Tresiba experience help?

I’m really considering switching to it due to lower statistical chance of hypo but just confused on the whole dosing
I definetly prefer tresiba, I was only only Lantau for a few days but I find tresiba slower acting and so there’s not as much risk of hypo during sleep