Eye tests

laharvey999

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Does anyone else have an annual eye test which has been postponed for 12 months (yes 12 months) because of covid. Also had no hba1c this year either. Doctors usually do the hba1c at the surgery had nothing.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Got my appointment letter yesterday for a test on 06 Nov.
That's for Worthing.. location I guess makes a difference.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
I had a letter too, with a time and place for the eye test, but I’ve deferred it for a year. I’m an oldie, and even though the area I live in’s at ‘medium’ (if you believe the figures etc) I decided it was safest to defer. Maybe the area you live in’s higher up the Covid scale @laharvey999?

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Does anyone else have an annual eye test which has been postponed for 12 months (yes 12 months) because of covid. Also had no hba1c this year either. Doctors usually do the hba1c at the surgery had nothing.
The retinopathy scan or just a normal eye test?
Assuming the first given the delay you quote

I have mine booked in for November, had to go to a hospital as the local dr had already ran out of bookings even though I phoned the day I got the letter

Jbicheno

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My diabetic eye test (retinopathy scan) was due in June. I haven’t heard a thing. That means my last test was in June 2019.

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Asked about my scan during phone consult on Monday. Last one April 2019. Apparently if previous one was normal it will be next April before I have another. 2 years. They are playing catchup and prioritising. Which I do not have an issue with. HBA1C wasn’t done. It was good last time and it is all about %in range and above and below now for those wearing a Libre. Which I am also in favour of.

Max68

Interestingly I saw my optician a couple of weeks ago and the tests when they come in quite close and shine a light into your eyes is in fact more thorough than the retinopathy scan according to him in detecting any changes to the vessels. So if that's the case, plus the fact that you get an eye test free as a diabetic I would advise, if worried about any delay in a retinopathy scan, to just visit your optician.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had a letter just the other day saying I won't get one for 2 YEARS!!!! Yes, two years!!!!!

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My retinal scan was due in May and I heard nothing which is understandable, I received a letter recently saying they were catching up prioritising people who’s previous scan was abnormal. Mine was clear so I could expect to be called for my next scan next March. However this has been superseded by developing some worrying visual disturbances yesterday, I attended an urgent appt at the optician today. Amongst other tests they did a retinal scan which was clear and the symptoms proved to be nothing to worry about.

JaneC

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I received an NHS letter today asking me to call and make an eye appointment detailing all the safety Covid procedures in place. I phoned and have an appointment for 2 weeks time, I'll go and see no reason why not.

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I should have been seen in May for 4 month check up at hospital eye clinic, but recently got a letter saying they didn't know when it would be, and it may not be at usual local hospital. Even before Covid eye appointments were like gold dust, and I only got my last one in January by taking a cancellation, otherwise it was going to be October. Can't see it being this year now. A friend was there recently and whereas the waiting room was normally overflowing with people, there were only 5 there.

MetabolicJim

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I got my HbA1c done in Aug 2020, one year on from my last NHS test (both 39 mmol/mol). They also sprang a cholesterol test on me and later got a call from my doctor offering me a statin, which I declined. I hope to sort my cholesterol out my fixing my weight and fatty liver - work in progress. Test was just like the previous one except I had to wait outside and had to wear a mask.

Not heard anything about the eye screening, which should have been in June. Apart from a slight lockdown wobble my blood sugar has been OK so I’m happy enough to wait

Last edited:

Poohbear616

I'm in Southampton and had my first eye test in Septemper and was told they were prioritising newly diagnosed like me or people that have serious issues that need to be seen more than once a year. It's going to take a while to catch up on everyone else. I'm glad I had mine as they found background retinopathy so I must have had diabetes long before I was diagnosed.

I've also had no problem having HbA1C blood tests at my doctors. They phoned me a couple of times to say i needed to have one and have my next booked for Tuesday. Have you spoken to your doctors as this month I had to phone them to make the appointment.

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm in Southampton and had my first eye test in Septemper and was told they were prioritising newly diagnosed like me or people that have serious issues that need to be seen more than once a year. It's going to take a while to catch up on everyone else. I'm glad I had mine as they found background retinopathy so I must have had diabetes long before I was diagnosed.

I've also had no problem having HbA1C blood tests at my doctors. They phoned me a couple of times to say i needed to have one and have my next booked for Tuesday. Have you spoken to your doctors as this month I had to phone them to make the appointment.
Not sure if that means I should worry or that Tewkesbury/Cheltenham are able to give the eye tests as normal

Medusa41

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Had my eye test cancelled in April but managed to get it re-booked in Sept and needed my 1st pair of reading glasses! Not had retinopathy test this year though or any HBA1C.