Prescription clarification

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
Don't all jump on me for this one-I need to settle an argument. :wink:

Re free prescriptions for Diabetics..here's the scenario. A person (diagnosed with type 2 diabetes) chooses not to take diabetes meds but also has another medical condition(s) that they take medication for. They cannot get the free prescriptions because that only applies to diabetes meds, nothing else.

True or false?

Ta muchly :)

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
As long as they were being prescribed diabetes meds ALL of their prescriptions would be free, even if they stupidly chose not to take the diabetes meds (after all, who would know).

The only diabetics that don't get free prescriptions are those that are controlled by diet only (or those that don't bother their doctor for an exemption form). Even then, if you were originally prescribed metformin and subsequently taken off them, you can still claim free prescriptions until your card expires (which I think is 2 or 3 years after you got it).

byte83

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My card lasts 5yrs and applies to all meds even those from dentist. I didnt know about exemption but was lucky my doctor gave me one the day I was diagnosed. As long as you have diabetes meds then exemption apllies. Like borofergie says even if you get taken off the meds the card lasts till its expires.

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
As a Type 2 the meds are not compulsory, they are not essential like insulin for a Type 1.

Some Type 2's are able to adjust their diet to achieve non diabetic levels, so then don't have to take medication and still get a HbA1c in the 5%'s.

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Sorry, should have been clearer.

When a person chooses to control their diabetes by diet alone and declines the offer of medication, even with a formal diagnosis of diabetes..

I think you have answered my question anyway.

Thanks all :thumbup:

Grazer

This is not as I understand it. I have never been prescribed meds but was clearly told ALL prescriptions will now be free. As it is, I'm over 60 so get free prescriptions anyway, but doctor was clear I'd get free scrips before he twigged my age

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You have to be on at least one drug for diabetes to get free perscriptions - your GP has to fill in and sign a form confirming this and then you get an exemption card that lasts 5 years - then you get ALL your perscriptions free - as I take met and glic I also now get my scripts free fro my psoriasis meds even though I had to pay for them for over 30 years!

Other medical condidtions also entitle you to free scripts such as epilepsy.

If in the future you drop all your meds for diabetes (or any other qualifying conditions) and your card expires you have to go back to paying for all other perscriptions

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
Grazer said:
This is not as I understand it. I have never been prescribed meds but was clearly told ALL prescriptions will now be free. As it is, I'm over 60 so get free prescriptions anyway, but doctor was clear I'd get free scrips before he twigged my age

Your GP was wrong Malc (although how nice it is to have a GP is wrong in the patient's favour for a change):
http://www.diabetes.org.uk/FAQ/Living-w ... nchor_4977
http://www.nhs.uk/nhsengland/Healthcost ... osts.aspx#

It might be just a local issue, but I was almost forced to get my exemption card by a local chemist, who told me off after I paid to pick up my first prescription of metformin. He said that GPs were remiss in not telling newly diagnoses diabetics that they were entitled to free prescriptions.

sugar2

Ladybird,

Not wanting to open a can of worms...but even if a someone chose to control their diabetes by diet alone, could they, in an ideal world, still not get test strips on prescription? I know that many, many people with diabetes, even those taking meds do not get prescribed strips, but as, in theory, they should, would the strips not class as a diabetes treatment, if not a medication?

RussG

Hi Sugar2,

There are two questions here - can you get something prescribed and is it free? If you control your diabetes with medication, all your prescriptions are free, for any items and any conditions. However you still may not be prescribed strips if you are metformin. You will only generally get them if you are on a medication that can cause hypos.

If you control by diet / exercise alone, you might still have strips prescribed (althought it's pretty unlikely) but you'd pay the standard prescription charge (which I think is currently £7.60 unless you are out of work, a pensioner etc.).

What you won't get in a cost conscious NHS is someone saying: you should have strips, so that counts as treatment and thus all your prescriptions (including the very expensive strips!) will be free.

The short answer is: anyone can have strips, as they are available widely over the counter.

For the sake of clarity - I don't agree with any of that and think all diabetics, regardless of type, should have reasonable access to testing (either free or at standard prescription item charge).

Paul520785

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Type 1 for over 50 years - prescriptions are free - but??
I have always recieved free prescriptions - never seen an exemption card - just sign as having a card and if questions explaining that I have been a diabetic treated by insulin injection for more than 20years.
I do have one appaling experience relative to test strips in the last 18 months - a call saying that test strips were being restricted by the local PCT? I phoned a number given but my surgery to be told by an unqualified clerk that she had reduced all prescriptions for test strips due to cost savings. Yes - unqualified in any waythat they would identify when asked! The solution was to make a call to arrange an appointment with my diadetic consultant at which I learnt some new and interesting non medical descriptive words which eventually had both of us in fits of laughter dispite his significant anger. One letter from him generated a change in less than 10 days.
As an accountant I was well aware of cost saving techniques and the very significant danger of massive increases to future costs that can result from this type of exercise.
So if you feel that what you are told is not based on good infomation or is just silly, first check your facts, then first try a calm phone call and if unsuccessfull, follow up by having a very public but polite explosion when talking to the highest member of the organisation you can identify.
My comment on prescriptions is simple only order what you need as repeat items BUT, make shure you always have one months cover in the back ground so, that you do not endager yourself or others because you cannot get what you need to control your diabetic situation.
I work on the basis that I can do anything that anyone else can but I take my sandwiches and kit with me.

Grazer

Just a thought Paul - you might want to get an exemption certificate. A recent poster on here told us she had been getting free prescriptions as a diabetic on medication without a certificate, and she never knew she needed one. Chemist never argued. She recently got a fine in the post, £160 I think, for not having a certificate! How did they know? Had ten days to pay or fine increased, so couldn't challenge and delay. Might be worth getting one in case.

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I was just thinking about that post Malc.

As it is an important issue maybe it could be raised as a sticky by admin, reminding people that they do need the exemption certifcate as proof of entitlement?