New to the forum

pajr

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all,
Am new to the forum, thought i would post and say Hi.
some info about myself,
I am 54 years old and somewhat overweight but am starting to deal with that, was diagnosed 2 years ago with type 2 diabetes and dilated cardiomyopethy so alot to come to terms with.
A bit of denial and stupidity on my part meant that i ignored it for some period of time but am now coming to terms with the fact i am having to deal with this and sort myself out.
i have been unwell for some time but just carried on and ignored it, slowly i got worse.
Now I have faced up to the fact that its not going away.
I have significantly reduced my alcohol intake and changed my diet and and am loosing weight and i already start to feel better, my blood pressure is coming down and i am not out of breath so much.Have some way to go yet but moving in the right direction, albeit slowly.
I have now turned my attention to dealing with the diabetes problem, when i was diagnosed 2 years ago i had a HbA1c of 75 mmol/mol. I was prescribed metformin but i did not get on well with that at all, I am taking diuretics for the heart failure so the added complications i had with the metformin were not pleasent so i discontinued taking them. I decided that maybe lifestyle changes were the way to go rather than rely on meds.
I bought myself a cheap TEE2+ BG monitor and did a few tests over the last 3 days and the readings are min 9.4 mmol/l and a max of 11.4 mmol/l.
I would like to apologise in advance if i ask any stupid questions in the near future but i am a little bewildered by the whole subject at the moment.
Anyway thanks for reading and sorry for the ramble.

michita

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Welcome to the forum !
There aren’t any stupid questions. Well done on reducing alcohol. I need to do that as well :-D

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
Hello @pajr
You have made a very good start by getting a meter and starting testing.
To get a proper picture of how different foods affect you, testing should be done before you eat and then again two hours later.
There is a lot of useful information in the Newly Diagnosed section.

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome,

Getting a meter is a great start. Don't focus on the past you are now mentally in a position to deal with your diabetes so that is great. There are no stupid questions and you never know when something you ask will help someone else. This forum is full of amazing people who are supportive and informative. I'm 55 and started when I was diagnosed at 54. It feels very overwhelming but with this forum you will soon find that you are better educated about diabetes than many medical professionals.

Good luck- read around, post and ask questions- this is the best place in the world to find out what you need to tackle diabetes.

welcome.

pajr

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,
Thanks for the kind words.
Have done some reading and a couple of tests in the morning before breakfast and two hours after, was surprised at how high my results were,
10/10/2020 15.2 mmol/l then 13.5 mmol/l
11/10/2020 9.4 mmol/l then 8.2 mmol/l
The first morning tests were after at least 7 hours sleep and nothing to eat for a few hours before bed.
At random times during the day I seem to be around 9.5 to 10.5.
Should I be to worried about these.

Last edited:

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ignore the fasting numbers for now, concentrate on your readings before and after eating. We all tolerate foods differently and you have to find out what food suits you.

Note that if you are on statins, these can raise your blood glucose levels.