What was your fasting blood glucose? (with some chat)

Ryhia

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I had similar when doing the same as you, @DJC3. I don’t know the timing of your fasting, but I was not eating before 1pm. When I shifted the time to earlier eating, and the 8 hour window for eating 11am to 7 pm , and increased carbs to between 50 -60 grams a day, (mainly from vegetables) the levels reduced, as did some of the weight.

Today fasting was 5.7. Happy with that. Average on meter readings throughout day for last 3 months has been 5.5. Due diabetes review soon. That should be fun, as no chance of getting in surgery, or / and blood tests, so it will likely be a DIY review, (I can check my own feet, BP, weight etc) apart from some random HCP I have never met trying to tell me how I should manage my T2 in a phone call. Despite me being deaf.

Good luck with your next HbA1c, I'm sure all your effort will pay off.

Phone appointments can be a real pain, I spend most of my time say "Sorry can you repeat that?". Is your surgery not doing bloods then? Ours was just about back to normal with added precautions. I had bloods done in July along with the review at the same time and most recently had my flu jab. I have even seen my GP for a face to face meeting in the last couple of months, or course we now have local lockdown so things may have changed. 815 cases last week where I live.

Reactions: DJC3

Ryhia

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My mornings are always between 11 and 14, today is 13.9
Have no idea what I am doing wrong..
Hi and welcome to the thread. I don't really have the experience to advise you as I think I was diagnosed quite early so that my levels were not that high as what you are seeing and I was basically told to go and sort it by diet which through trial and error I am doing. How long have you been diagnosed and what was your last HbA1c?

Reactions: JohnEGreen

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good luck with your next HbA1c, I'm sure all your effort will pay off.

Phone appointments can be a real pain, I spend most of my time say "Sorry can you repeat that?". Is your surgery not doing bloods then? Ours was just about back to normal with added precautions. I had bloods done in July along with the review at the same time and most recently had my flu jab. I have even seen my GP for a face to face meeting in the last couple of months, or course we now have local lockdown so things may have changed. 815 cases last week where I live.

Thanks @Ryhia
Was ‘invited’ to ring to see if I needed a blood form, prior to Review, which is overdue. Should have been seen in July. I rang yesterday. Surgery has been offering face to face appointments to monitor chronic conditions for last two weeks, but drawbridge is pulled back up. Due to rapid rise in covid infections, surgery not seeing patients, and if anyone wants a phone consultation they need to phone at 8am to be triaged by the reception staff. Apparently local NHS labs, from yesterday, are only processing ‘emergency blood tests’. I am not unduly concerned for my own monitoring, as I seem to be doing ok. Thinking of purchasing a home HbA1c test kit, but as I am diligently testing BG with monitor, not sure I want the expense, for what I hope would just confirm what I think I know. I would like a retinopathy test though, last one was March last year, but can probably get that at my independent optician. They seem to have up to date kit, and I am due an annual sight test with them soon. Like the independent pharmacy where I had my flu vaccination, free on NHS, independent providers seem less stressed, and certainly not overwhelmed, like the GP surgery seems to be.

Oops, almost forgot, fasting today was 5.8.

Ryhia

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
4.6, I know .. I know I don't believe it either! I've been using new strips for the last 3 days however I checked with another box and got the same result.
If these figures are true, all I have done is a little gentle exercise, changed from having soya milk to almond milk (would that really make a difference) and reduced my carbs a little.

Hoping its not a false promise. Have a blessed Sunday folks.

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning all from a baltic Scotland

I applied for a Contour Next One meter at the beginning of the year, arrived months ago but with everything going on I never got round to trying it out and comparing it, did it last night at bedtime, regular accu-chek Aviva expert gave me a 7.0 with the contour giving me a 7.3, not bad at all, and this morning we had a 5.4 on both, I will compare the other 8 strips and may consider asking my DSN if I could change strips as the Contour is less bulky so easier to carry around

Have a nice day folks
xx

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hugs @PenguinMum did it stay highish all day? I find it pretty much stays the same, if it starts higher than I want, it tends to stick. The converse is often true as well ( but doesn’t happen often enough these days) Once anxiety levels drop a bit hopefully so will BGs.
@Ryhia great score, if a bit of exercise and changing milk works, that’s brilliant. You also say you’ve reduced carbs a bit so all 3 things are bound to have a knock on effect. Well done.
Good luck with changing your meter @kaylz91 I agree some of them are really too bulky to carry around easily all the time.

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good luck with changing your meter @kaylz91 I agree some of them are really too bulky to carry around easily all the time.
I can't see there would be a problem with it, I looked at NICE and the NHS Indicative Price for Contour Next strips are cheaper than my current Accu-Chek Aviva ones, I'll see how the other tests compare xx

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all,

@PenguinMum -- Hugs for the higher than desired fasting blood sugar levels for the week. Also agree it sometimes just isn't fair.
@kaylz91 -- I also own the Contour Next One meter and really like it for the design and accuracy.

Fasting blood sugar levels were 5.3 this morning (a little bit higher probably due to not having my usual glas of red wine last night).