Omnipod Dash, major concern insulin limitations

Serial45

Hi guys.

First thing is I control my blood sugars quite tight. I do occasionally eat sugars but I compensate this by taking high levels of fast acting insulin.

On a day by day basis I typically take 50 units of rapidinsulin and 34 units of levirmir. My rapid acting (fiasp) I can take upto 25 units at a meal if I'm eating say 60g of carbs. I seem to be really resistant to insulin. I read these fantasies about people taking 1 unit of insulin per 10g of carbs! Whereas I need something like 1 unit per 3g of carbs.

I mean this morning I had approx 35g of carbs and around 40g of protein I had to take approx 20 units of fiasp over the next 4 hours to keep my blood sugars to a good level.

My main concern is if I do need these same levels of insulin 200 units isn't going to be nearly enough and I'll be running out before the 3 days is up. Can I top my pump up with more insulin if this is the case?

Thanks,
Adam

Last edited:

sleepster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @Serial45, I don't use an omnipod so can't comment on whether you can top the pump up (though I'd guess not, when I was first choosing a pump 8 years ago I was told that I could only have an omnipod if my insulin requirements allowed it) but many people find they need less insulin when they use a pump. Pre-pump I was on 1 unit per 5g of carbs and then when I started using the pump it went down to 1 unit per 10g of carbs, though it has changed a bit now. The nurses at my clinic had worked out what everyone's new ratios would be, ready to put into the pump.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
i use omnipod and no you cannot top up insulin into the pod ....perhaps look at the pumps that offer 300u resevoirs as your usage would mean omnipod would be running out of insulin after only 2 and a bit days

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
i use omnipod and no you cannot top up insulin into the pod ....perhaps look at the pumps that offer 300u resevoirs as your usage would mean omnipod would be running out of insulin after only 2 and a bit days

These high insulin doses would need a cannula change every 2 days or less anyway even with a piped pump. So you could go for a heavier 300u pump and change the cannula every 2 days and cartridge every 3-4 days or a lighter one and change all every 2 days.

Serial45

I would only consider tubeless pumps. Heard too many people have issues with blocked pipes etc. And don't want cables etc.

I'll see how I go I've received my pump through the post but have an e class to learn how to use it.

I think I may possibly have built up a resistance to my long acting insulin levirmir. Will see how this goes just using my fast acting.

Thanks,
Adam

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I would only consider tubeless pumps
In which case you will just have to change it more often than every 3 days if you use more than 200ml in that time.

I think I may possibly have built up a resistance to my long acting insulin levirmir
Have you tried doing some basal testing to see if your basal amount needs adjusting?

Serial45

In which case you will just have to change it more often than every 3 days if you use more than 200ml in that time.

Have you tried doing some basal testing to see if your basal amount needs adjusting?
I haven't yet, but I've read into testing, going to do this the first day I get the pump.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Look at using U200 or even U500 insulin - although you’d have to do some extra maths to set doses.