Flu jab 2020

julie56

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Angry people and liver!
Is anyone else struggling to get a flu jab? I have been invited as usual, but can't make an appointment as the surgery is only using a drop in facility using outside tents. Turned up early for a jab, but was told they do not have any vaccine - will try again in Nov but not holding my breath.

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Are there any local pharmacists you can try?
I was able to get mine at mine but aware there are challenges with stock in many places

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am struggling- my surgery only does flu jab clinics all in the week when I can’t get there because my hubby is only here weekends to care for my son. For this reason I’ve always got it at Boots, they were only doing over 65s and now I’ve had an email to say they have no supplies and will notify me when they are doing my particular group. I am entitled for 3 different reasons so trying to guess which one will get me up the queue first lol.

You would think they (everyone) would’ve been more prepared with plenty of vaccines considering the situation we are in and all the talk of protecting the NHS

julie56

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Angry people and liver!
Are there any local pharmacists you can try?
I was able to get mine at mine but aware there are challenges with stock in many places
Alas, all local pharmacies have stopped vaccinations due to shortage in supply. Supplies are trickling in sporadically in the surgery - it's a case of keep trying. Goodness knows how the very elderly are coping with queueing outside in the wind and rain - they are still giving vaccinations for the over 65's at present.

julie56

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Angry people and liver!
[QUOTE="lovinglife Hope you get yours soon. I have heard that in previous years there was only 65% take up on the vaccination and many doses had to be destroyed - this year demand has exceeded supply.

MarkHaZ123

Iv got mine booked for Thursday morning around 8am
Best having it than not really, especially with what's happened this year it might be a small bonus, I'm not sure

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
I think we are fortunate. Our small rural practise opened for bookings on last Friday and we phoned and booked ours for the following Monday. Five minutes in and out. Doc who stabbed me said they were doing 100 vaccinations that day. Over 70s are being prioritised along with 'at risk' patients.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We were able to get our flu jabs last month after getting a letter to say when appointments were available to book, one option being a Saturday morning. The surgery had a very well organised & speedy OAP production line going, and while we had to queue outside for a very short time fortunately it was a sunny day but with a chilly wind.

Circuspony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm supposed to be an at risk patient but GP has run out - told me to try the pharmacy. So I'm on the pharmacy waiting list.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
My OH usually has his when he gets his INR checked but our surgery hasn’t got any yet.

julie56

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Angry people and liver!
@miahara - Good to know it's working well in some areas, the next date available to me is on 3rd Nov, will get there early whatever the weather and hope for success. In the meantime with all the social distancing and mask wearing I should be pretty safe.. I hope!

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Is anyone else struggling to get a flu jab? I have been invited as usual, but can't make an appointment as the surgery is only using a drop in facility using outside tents. Turned up early for a jab, but was told they do not have any vaccine - will try again in Nov but not holding my breath.
You're welcome to the one with my name on it..

Reactions: Flora123

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
the next date available to me is on 3rd Nov
A friend in France told me he always has his flu jab in late November, as infections don't really get going before then, and, he says, if you have it too early the effect wears off later in the winter when you really need it. On the other hand, I believe it takes 2 weeks for the anti-bodies to start working.

Reactions: Ceebee2

sharonlmartin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Had my letter arrive to say I was offered the flu jab, gave a time and date, I attended, didn't seem over crowded, hardly anyone there, no queuing up etc

Lorra1ne

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Lorra1ne

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am struggling also, my work are doing them but all slots taken, have received letter from NHS Fife to book but can’t get slot there either my daughter who has no health issues and never had before has had it through her work seems the people that should be getting it aren’t, I have tried local chemist also

MarkHaZ123

Got mine today. Drove up, window down, sleeve up, Injection done and then drove off to work. Really easy this way. I hope they do it next year aswell

Reactions: lovinglife

julie56

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Angry people and liver!
[QUOTE="Lorra1ne, post: 2319011, member: 167124" It seems a bit of a lottery as to who can get one, obviously not enough vaccine to go round. Hope you get yours soon.