Kid friendly meals

BigNorsk

Grandchildren coming and they are being raised in sugar bomb heaven. It is really bad for me if the house fills up with foods they are used to but I am not much for cooking and I know if I put what Ineat in front of them, it’s not going to work.

what would be some simple dishes that kids from the sugar side of the world will eat without messing me up?

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What do they normally eat? Perhaps we can suggest substitutes or ‘look-a-likes’?

Starter for 10, fathead pizza or meattza?

sno0opy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I just tend to do the same dishes for the family and just mess with the proportions for my self

So if im doing sausages, mash and veg. I give every one two sausages, the kids a load of mash and a bit of a veg and me a shed loads of veg and no mash.

Boiled eggs with toast dippers, i serve both toast and asparagus for dipping and i just have the greens with the eggs. They have both every one is happy.

Jacket potato with Tuna and salad, kids get a jacket, tune and a bit of salad. I get allot of salad and tuna.

Lots of stuff like that.

Lasagna i do, but i make half with pasta and half with aborigine - works very well with a side salad and garlic bread for the kids

Puddings sugar free jelly and fruit, natural yogurt and berry's (kids get a handful of granola and honey) etc..

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
If they are used to cakes etc try low carb mug cakes - very easy to make.
My basic recipe is 2 tablespoons of ground almonds, 1 tablespoon of coconut flour, 1 tablespoon of oil, 1 large egg. 0.5 teaspoon of baking powder plus some stevia based sweetener, (eg truvia).
Then either cocoa powder, lemon zest plus a squirt of juice, or cinnamon/pumpkin spice mix.
Cook in a large mug in the microwave for 60-70 seconds. Serve warm with double cream.

Or try fat balls? something they can make themselves. Again a mix of ground almonds and coconut flour for rolling the balls in is best as coconut on its own tends to feel dry in the mouth. I use either peanut butter or cashew nut butter (this has a milder flavour so is better for the orange flavoured balls). Here are some recipes:
https://ketodietapp.com/Blog/lchf/60-amazing-fat-bomb-recipes

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Grandchildren coming and they are being raised in sugar bomb heaven. It is really bad for me if the house fills up with foods they are used to but I am not much for cooking and I know if I put what Ineat in front of them, it’s not going to work.

what would be some simple dishes that kids from the sugar side of the world will eat without messing me up?

How old are your grandchildren? To be honest, that would impact on any actions/options I would consider viable.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Lasagna i do, but i make half with pasta and half with aborigine - works very well with a side salad and garlic bread for the kids
Cooked aborigine ! No wonder they are endangered ( sorry couldn't resist ;))