T2 and Pancreatitis

emcjp1rj2

Hi Folks

Recently attacked by severe pancreatitis to add to my T2 diabetes. For the former I take up to 8 Creon enzyme capsules (25,000) daily.
Anyone any comments re the right kind of diet? Have been low carb GI until the attack but wonder if the damaged pancreas might affect this.

JAEC1954

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Times wasters, being judged or criticised
  1. Hello, I am type 2 diabetic for 11 years, then diagnosed with chronic pancreatitis 3 years. I take CREON up to 9 a day. I was told I could eat anything, just assess how much fat is in your meal/snack, but I find spicy/rich food and bread can have an effect on pain. I now try to eat healthily and in moderation which has worked for me up to now. I am getting higher BS readings than I used to. I eat to how I feel, sometimes missing meals as I am bloated and just can’t face food. I hope this helps

Laurieluv

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
  1. Hello, I am type 2 diabetic for 11 years, then diagnosed with chronic pancreatitis 3 years. I take CREON up to 9 a day. I was told I could eat anything, just assess how much fat is in your meal/snack, but I find spicy/rich food and bread can have an effect on pain. I now try to eat healthily and in moderation which has worked for me up to now. I am getting higher BS readings than I used to. I eat to how I feel, sometimes missing meals as I am bloated and just can’t face food. I hope this helps

Have you had an updated C-peptide test?

JAEC1954

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Have you had an updated C-peptide test?
I have had C-peptide test recently, I don’t know the result yet, I have telephone consult Spec diabetic nurse today.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Hi Folks

Anyone any comments re the right kind of diet? Have been low carb GI until the attack but wonder if the damaged pancreas might affect this.

As a long term T1 (pancreas produces no insulin) low carb is pretty good because it reduces the amount of insulin I need to take (and hence the bg swings).

Good luck. Hopefully your pancreas will still be functional, there are plenty of useful things it produces other than insulin.

JAEC1954

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
As a long term T1 (pancreas produces no insulin) low carb is pretty good because it reduces the amount of insulin I need to take (and hence the bg swings).

Good luck. Hopefully your pancreas will still be functional, there are plenty of useful things it produces other than insulin.
Thank you, I am going onto insulin now