Treating High BG before bed

JeromeFel47

Hi all,

How do you treat a high BG before bed?
I was on 12.3 before going to sleep so injecting 1 unit knowing it would bring me down anywhere between 6-9 (really varies honestly)
But instead it brought me down to 3.8 in the middle of the night!!
How can it go down so much and how do I prevent that in the future then?

Thank you!

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
How recently had you eaten and had your bolus for your evening meal? I ask because it's possible that not all of it had kicked in when you'd tested.

Reactions: Jaylee

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all,

I was on 12.3 before going to sleep so injecting 1 unit knowing it would bring me down anywhere between 6-9 (really varies honestly)

Thank you!
Hi,

I notice from an earlier post you take lantus.. What time do you inject, is it before bed?
Any alcohol involved? (If you don't mind me asking.)

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
I agree with @Rokaab I'd only give myself a correction if it were greater than 5 hours after my last meal, and I'd eat something with it, like some cherry tomatoes. I'd also cut back on my night basal, but I'm on a split dose Levemir which is quite changeable. If I were still worried, which I often am, I'd set an alarm four hours later to check my BS in the middle of the night.

JeromeFel47

Hi,

I notice from an earlier post you take lantus.. What time do you inject, is it before bed?
Any alcohol involved? (If you don't mind me asking.)

Hi, I take Lantus in the mornings not in the evenings, I had dinner at 7pm and injected at around 00:30.
I don’t drink any alcohol

JeromeFel47

I agree with @Rokaab I'd only give myself a correction if it were greater than 5 hours after my last meal, and I'd eat something with it, like some cherry tomatoes. I'd also cut back on my night basal, but I'm on a split dose Levemir which is quite changeable. If I were still worried, which I often am, I'd set an alarm four hours later to check my BS in the middle of the night.

I think maybe you’re right
If I need to again I should have something small with it
Thank you!

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I take Lantus in the mornings not in the evenings, I had dinner at 7pm and injected at around 00:30.
I don’t drink any alcohol

Lantus is a very odd basal. (I use it but in the evening.) it is said by other users it tails off after 20/22 hours.?
Now I take mine by 10pm, can fast from midday prior to a gig & be 3 hours late injecting the basal by the end of the night. (No booze either. Driving.) however, concurring with my CGM set up, the meter can suggest I've been running at 4.8/5.2mmol.
& even dropped further looking at the CGM graph during the gig?

Novorapid for me can have an extra lick in the tail over five hours later too..

Wee eck

I’m a late onset type 1 (67yr old) but always been athletic. Early on I found occasional high BG going to bed and found myself doing a bit of exercise to bring it down ... stair climb, push ups etc. rather than further injection. Now I make sure I eat nothing late in the evening or only extremely light e.g. macadamia nuts.
My main issue is trying to regain my lost weight which was my only indicator symptom. Lost 7lbs in a week. Six months since diagnosis and injecting insulin I have barely gained a pound....in spite of eating very well at meal times.

JeromeFel47

I’m a late onset type 1 (67yr old) but always been athletic. Early on I found occasional high BG going to bed and found myself doing a bit of exercise to bring it down ... stair climb, push ups etc. rather than further injection. Now I make sure I eat nothing late in the evening or only extremely light e.g. macadamia nuts.
My main issue is trying to regain my lost weight which was my only indicator symptom. Lost 7lbs in a week. Six months since diagnosis and injecting insulin I have barely gained a pound....in spite of eating very well at meal times.

I exercise frequently as well, very beneficial, but things like pushups and home workouts make my BG go higher not lower.
Also, strange about the weight loss, it was a symptom for me too but I put on every kilo back within a month.

TypeZero.

Hi all,

Thank you!

The way I treat high blood sugar before bed is I just inject some insulin. I have previously had restless nights where I had to wake up several times and inject insulin, as a result I discovered that I need double the amount of insulin I usually need to bring my BG down so I just know I can safely inject 4 units knowing I’ll go from 12 to 6 in 3 hours but if I did that during the day I would go from 12 to 0 in 3 hours. To be honest it’s pointless me telling you how I manage it, you kind of learn your own metabolism... how much insulin you need, how alcohol affects you, how exercise affects you, these are all things you find out yourself.

The low blood sugar in the night could be due to a number of factors...

-Lantus may have an irregular profile in some people meaning it works harder sometimes and lesser other times therefore making BGs inconsistent.

-Possibility of endogenous insulin production (your own pancreas making insulin) (I haven’t checked your profile so don’t know if you’re newly diagnosed)

-Your insulin needs are lower during the night so the Lantus may be too much, if your BGs are fine throughout the day but at night you get hypos then it suggests you need a snack before bed. If hypos are frequent during day despite careful carb counting and bolusing then Lantus dose may need to be adjusted

MarkMunday

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I also inject Lantus in the morning, and 12+ units brings me down 20 hours later, in the early hours of the next morning. Test your basal by skipping dinner and testing. Set your alarm so you can test after midnight too. May have to reduce your Lantus and fill the basal gap earlier in the day another way. Also be aware of the effects of exercise. It increases insulin sensitivity for up to 36 hours.