Type 2 I am still in denial after 8 years

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not much!
I go through periods of really trying to lower my sugar levels and eat better, then, I binge and eat like there is no tomorrow. I am so fed up with starting and stopping. Has anyone else ever overcome anything like this? Any tips on how to stop, I feel like I am such a failure

62Karen

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I totally understand, I was so good for ages then I will have a day where I’m like ‍♀️ my BG is still high so chocolate is the answer. Then filled with guilt I go back to being totally good, like now I have stinking cold all I want is veg soup, not given in yet but I know I will, think it’s just life

lessci

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My name is Lesley and I'm a carb addict. I do really well, get my BG's down to acceptable levels, then for no (apparent) reason I self sabotage and I HAVE to have bread, chips or chocolate, and it doesn't matter what I do or eat, until I have them my brain won't let me rest. The periods between my binges are slowly getting longer so I'm slowly winning the war even if I lose the occasional battle. I don't normally do slogan T-Shirts, but I bought one in Asda this week which kind of sums up my T2 journey PROGESS NOT PERFECTION.

Last edited:
Reactions: JMK1954

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello , I'm pleased to see I am not alone with this problem. I think it was 6 years ago that I was diagnosed with type 2. Since then I have been on metformin, reduced my blood sugar for a number of Habc1 tests so I was taken off it and then guess what? Yes, I have to go back on because I was eating in a way that didn't suit my blood sugar! Equally my weight has been up and down with a range of a three stone difference! I can eat a keto diet for months and I'm tempted and once I give in it is the beginning of the slippery slope of eating everything! Chips, chocolate etc!

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This is my fear, that I will fall off the lc wagon. I'm only 6 months in.
What makes you (plural) fall off? How can I avoid it?

Caprock94

This is my fear, that I will fall off the lc wagon. I'm only 6 months in.
What makes you (plural) fall off? How can I avoid it?

I've been on it for 18 months now. I have days where I know I eat things I shouldn't. My guess is very few (if any) never slip up. The way I look at it is if I have a bad meal.....or a bad day.....I just make it a point to get back on track the next day and try not to worry about it.

mummycaz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I was diagnosed six years ago and I am still totally in denial. At first, probably for about a year I stuck to my low carb and watched everything that I ate, never looking at anything which was high in sugars. I exercised and walked every day. Then I started to slip, a little treat here and another there. Slowly progressing to just thinking I will eat what I want, then I would get back on it again and go back to being 'good'. Then the coronavirus struck. Absolutely no exercise, as having to shield, lots of baking for my family (my way of taking care of them) and now Ive put weight back on and I feel so ill all the time. I wish there was something that would give me the kick I need and someone scream in my ear 'YOUR TYPE 2 DIABETIC! DEAL WITH IT!

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I can get by without medication and suspect that is an advantage, mentally - I know that I have only got diet to keep control of the diabetes.
There are recipes for low carb baking, but I think you need to consider your family - my mother and father had to move in with my father's parents in order to nurse my grandmother as she had complications of type two diabetes.
I am being very careful about contacts, but find no problem in dancing around the kitchen if it is wet outside, on dry days I can go into the garden and use the trampoline, do some skipping on the decking or a few stretches and bends.
Maybe start by writing out a menu for the week and buying the things required to make them?
Then you need to tell yourself - if it isn't on the list, you don't eat it. Do get yourself some real treats - meat or fish/seafood you really like, cruise the vege aisles to find some fresh and delicious things, buy cream and frozen berries for desert, make real custard and sugar free jellies on the condition that you do not eat high carb foods as well.