Covid and Work, Covid Advice and General Chat

Max68

I think any decision made by anyone should be respected as when it comes to their health/risk we all are in different situations and have different opinions on the risks we are willing to take.

For the record all of my colleagues have agreed with what I am doing, to my face anyway! Most however are fairly young and probably think they are bullet proof! Don't we all in our 20's and 30's?! I think I am the second oldest male bar the Principal and that includes the Headmaster. A large proportion of staff, including the other diabetic I know of are women, although she is of BAME background. So I don't really have anyone else to compare myself with bar maybe the Principal age wise but he sits in his office alone all day and as far as I know has no underlying conditions.

So at the end of the day we have to decide how we are going to care for ourselves and as I say peoples reasons for that should be respected.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think any decision made by anyone should be respected as when it comes to their health/risk we all are in different situations and have different opinions on the risks we are willing to take.

For the record all of my colleagues have agreed with what I am doing, to my face anyway! Most however are fairly young and probably think they are bullet proof! Don't we all in our 20's and 30's?! I think I am the second oldest male bar the Principal and that includes the Headmaster. A large proportion of staff, including the other diabetic I know of are women, although she is of BAME background. So I don't really have anyone else to compare myself with bar maybe the Principal age wise but he sits in his office alone all day and as far as I know has no underlying conditions.

So at the end of the day we have to decide how we are going to care for ourselves and as I say peoples reasons for that should be respected.

I agree. Those who are retired or are losing money because of this are unlikely to support a lockdown or ANY safety measures. x

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree. Those who are retired or are losing money because of this are unlikely to support a lockdown or ANY safety measures. x
The retired are best placed to cope with a lockdown as they still get their normal pension. Also they are likely to be in the vulnerable group and so in favour of any protection measures.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The retired are best placed to cope with a lockdown as they still get their normal pension. Also they are likely to be in the vulnerable group and so in favour of any protection measures.

I meant in terms of selfishness. I find with many people if it doesn't affect them or affects them (personally) negatively then they often don't bother themselves with those who may be in a more precarious position. If they have no money worries or are vulnerable as you say then they are in a position to control what they do, hence the privilege of being selfish. (I hasten to add I am talking about SOME).

Rustytypin

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Please do not tar all people who are retired with the same brush. I am retired and have lost money due to the virus but that does not mean that I think that everyone else can go hang. I will support any sensible measures needed to defeat the pandemic.
I hope that your post was badly worded, not just a jibe at others

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Got to say we are financially crippled by the lockdown. But that doesn’t mean I fail to support safety measures by a long shot. Generalisations and assumptions are just that.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Our business has folded. After 30 years. We are living on savings. We have lost our income. But we still fully support anything to prevent the death or long term health damage of others .

Reactions: JRT

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Our business has folded. After 30 years. We are living on savings. We have lost our income. But we still fully support anything to prevent the death or long term health damage of others .

I'm so sorry to hear that, Lucy.

Tannith

BANNED
I meant in terms of selfishness. I find with many people if it doesn't affect them or affects them (personally) negatively then they often don't bother themselves with those who may be in a more precarious position. If they have no money worries or are vulnerable as you say then they are in a position to control what they do, hence the privilege of being selfish. (I hasten to add I am talking about SOME).
I am retired and I wholeheartedly support lockdown. My pension is very meagre and it doesn't stretch to paying all these delivery charges, or to having to buy the more expensive eg branded goods from supermarkets etc because that is all they will send or all they have in stock.I have had to run up my credit card and hope I shall be able to sort it all out gradually when a vaccine appears. Gone are the days of going to the open air market and otherwise shopping around using my bus pass. The vulnerable on the shielding list (or not) who were previously working are in even more trouble as it is not much help being advised that it is safe to go to work, so Govt doesn't have to give them sick pay. The reality is that it is no more safe for them to go out to work, possibly even on public transport, than it was in the first lockdown when at least some were furloughed.

Reactions: Jbicheno and JRT

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
I’m retired too, and the ‘part time job’ I have to support a pension that’s below the poverty level has so far failed to bring any income since lockdown. I support anything that will save others from illness and hardship, even if I gain nothing myself from such measures except for a safer existence and the chance to see my grandchildren again one day.
I also support Max in his decision to give up his job. I find the govt’s stance on sending the vulnerable and those who were shielding back to any potentially Covid insecure workplace at a time when the R is increasing is immeasurably unkind, thoughtless and brutal. Strong words, but ones I find apt.

Reactions: Jbicheno and JRT

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We as a family are not retired but we have had many thousands of £ wiped out of our pension investments/ securing our sons care for when we are gone We have worked very hard and sacrificed a lot along the way all our lives for this. We have calculated that hubby is probably going to have to work another 5 years now, there are no winners in this, young, old, working, retired, the well off, those who no money to spare are all going to be paying for this for many years to come.

The financial cost of all this going to be a burden for our younger generation for many years to come, all these grants, payments, schemes etc need to be payed for and they will be the ones to shoulder that financial burden more than most.

I’m sick of hearing “it’s the youngsters” “ the older generation don’t care” blah blah blah - for whatever reason every single person is guilty of selfishness on some level - even down to buying extra toilet rolls just in case - it’s what makes us human - and probably why we are in this mess in the first place

Max68

I am retired and I wholeheartedly support lockdown. My pension is very meagre and it doesn't stretch to paying all these delivery charges, or to having to buy the more expensive eg branded goods from supermarkets etc because that is all they will send or all they have in stock.I have had to run up my credit card and hope I shall be able to sort it all out gradually when a vaccine appears. Gone are the days of going to the open air market and otherwise shopping around using my bus pass. The vulnerable on the shielding list (or not) who were previously working are in even more trouble as it is not much help being advised that it is safe to go to work, so Govt doesn't have to give them sick pay. The reality is that it is no more safe for them to go out to work, possibly even on public transport, than it was in the first lockdown when at least some were furloughed.

Does the supermarket you use not have a substitution promise? Mine (are we allowed to mention names?) on the click and collect anyway has a substitution promise whereas if they replace what you ordered with a more expensive substitute they will refund the difference to your account.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Please do not tar all people who are retired with the same brush. I am retired and have lost money due to the virus but that does not mean that I think that everyone else can go hang. I will support any sensible measures needed to defeat the pandemic.
I hope that your post was badly worded, not just a jibe at others

You're right, I have worded it badly and I would never aim a jibe at anyone let alone those who are retired. I thought I had clarified it in a later post but just to be clear I was talking about SOME people in response to another post. I do apologise for offending you (or others) as that was not my intention. x

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
I signed up for the Novavox trials, thinking if I received the vaccine I'd be able to return to work in the classroom (with an antibody test from Medichecks). They are allowing type 1's on the trials. But 250,000 others signed up also, for the 10,000 places. I'm facing the reality that unlikely to get phoned. Bring on the Oxford vaccine.
https://www.nihr.ac.uk/news/over-25...as-recruitment-begins-for-novavax-study/25731

chris0730

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Given the current situation, the infection risk is as high as ever it was back in April. There is a notable lack of info from government about shielding. Like it doesnt matter any more. The risk of us dying from Covid has not changed. I have a combination of risk factors which have cumulative risk score. It is not safe to carry on as normal. No one seems to take into account the cumulative risk. I found a Covid age Risk assesment. My Covid risk age is 85. SCARY! It's not the Risk of catching it it's the risk of death if I do catch it. At the moment that Risk is as high as it ever was. I'm in a tier 2 area so at least I'm advised to work from home.

Reactions: Tannith and JRT

chris0730

Type of diabetes
Type 2
The raw numbers are available from the Office of National Statistics for all to see. The epidemic peaked in mid-April 2020. For the 11 weeks up to the 3rd of July 2020 (the last date for which numbers are available), the number of deaths per week was falling week-on-week. For weeks 25, 26 and 27 the number of deaths (from all causes) in England and Wales was slightly below the 5-year average.

While it's not an all-clear for people who have one or more of the co-morbidity factors, for the vast majority of healthy people, it's time to chuck the lockdown and get back to work, school and Uni. If you're over 65, obese, and have type-2 diabetes, by all means, stay at home and do your shopping online. Likewise, if you're immunocompromised or have severe lung complications, you should be isolating yourself.

The purpose of the lockdown was "to flatten the curve so that the NHS was not overwhelmed" and that goal was achieved. Now what we are seeing is that the continuation of lockdowns everywhere is causing more harm than it is preventing. We're beyond the stage that there is anything to be gained by keeping people in a state resembling house arrest, and every day that businesses are shut and people are not at work, at school or at Uni is compounding the harm to all of us.

Worldwide, lockdowns are now causing more deaths than they are preventing. For the UK, and other rich countries, the long-term cost of shuttering everything will soon be seen. The number of people who are unemployed will dramatically increase. People will be unable to pay their rent and will need substantial support to not end up homeless and due to the lingering effects of years of austerity, inevitably, many will be made homeless. The number of people using food banks will rise substantially. And then there's the long-term psychological damage that isolation has caused. The mental health and social care capability in the UK has been severely eroded by years of austerity. You have to wait many weeks just to get a call back from a mental health person, let alone substantial help. Anyone in the midst of an actual crisis has virtually no hope of getting help. A large number of new cases of PTSD and depression will only compound the problem.

For poor countries, forcing people who live hand-to-mouth to stay at home is a death sentence. Denied the right to earn money, they are unable to buy food. Oxfam has stated that the number of people facing starvation is set to rise sharply. Across Africa, the effects of global lockdown are already noticable. People are now dying as a consequence of the SARS-CoV-2 pandemic, but not because they were infected by the virus. The consequential effects of the whole world following the recommendations of the WHO and shutting businesses, schools and transport logistics will most certainly kill millions of people. Unless, of course, there's a huge effort to distribute food to those in need, and seriously, don't hold your breath on that. The rich countries that normally would be able to chip in and help will be overwhelmed by the needs of their own citizens.

So, why has this pandemic been treated differently from every other pandemic this century and in the last century? Never before have all the healthy people been quarantined like they have in 2020.

We may have collectively "saved" the lives of 250 000 people in the UK. That means that, by employing the most costly and extreme measures possible, perhaps that number of people will live for up to another 6 years before they die. Of course, that assumes the most extreme end of the estimates from the Imperial College pandemic expert who has over-estimated every pandemic this century by orders of magnitude, Neil Ferguson, are accurate. None of his forecasts has been even close, and it's quite unlikely that this one is any different. People forget that there have been pandemics before. The "Hong Kong" flu of 1968 to 1971 killed an estimated 80 000 people in the UK. Was that considered a reason to destroy the livelihood of millions of people and potentially doom over a billion people to death by starvation? No it was not. Is SARS-CoV-2 the "Doomsday Virus" that virologists fear? The one that will have the transmissability of the common cold and the case-fatality rate of Ebola? No, it's not. It is not even as bad as the Hong Kong flu, and it's certainly not as bad as the 1918 H1N1 flu that killed somewhere between 10 million and 20 million people. It's a real virus and must be taken seriously, but not at the cost of killing millions, or even over a billion people who have not even been infected with this novel virus because we've all been stupid enough to believe that the end of the world was nigh.

Hello StamfordMan. How many people do you actually know who have died in this pandemic? A twenty one year old man, a 28 year old woman pregnant with first baby, elderly neighbour. Your complacency is quite alarming.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Picci

JRT

Given the current situation, the infection risk is as high as ever it was back in April. There is a notable lack of info from government about shielding. Like it doesnt matter any more. The risk of us dying from Covid has not changed. I have a combination of risk factors which have cumulative risk score. It is not safe to carry on as normal. No one seems to take into account the cumulative risk. I found a Covid age Risk assesment. My Covid risk age is 85. SCARY! It's not the Risk of catching it it's the risk of death if I do catch it. At the moment that Risk is as high as it ever was. I'm in a tier 2 area so at least I'm advised to work from home.
The government excuse this by assuming that workplaces etc are all covid safe. The reality doesn't concern them. Its terrible and brutal. Imagine how scary it would be if you had a job that couldn't be done from home combined with a non covid safe environment and an unconcerned employer.

Reactions: Jbicheno

Jbicheno

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The government excuse this by assuming that workplaces etc are all covid safe. The reality doesn't concern them. Its terrible and brutal. Imagine how scary it would be if you had a job that couldn't be done from home combined with a non covid safe environment and an unconcerned employer.

I think this is the heart of the problem. Nowhere can be completely Covid safe. To say anywhere is Covid secure is not true. Precautions can be taken but to be inside, particularly now the weather is getting colder, in a working environment with lots of people for long periods of time cannot be completely safe. Throw into the mix the fact that in some environments PPE is actively discouraged, such as primary schools, and the government is still advising vulnerable and extremely vulnerable people back to work is frankly horrifying in my opinion.

Reactions: Picci and JRT

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Just as an aside there are three persons in my household we all have the test and trace app on our phones at this moment my daughter is getting the message the risk in your post code area is medium I am getting the message the risk in your post code area is high and my wife is getting the message in your post code area there are places were the risk is high and places were the risk is medium all three of us stood in the same room getting different messages.

Reactions: JRT