Debandez

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I am so exited to share this. For anyone that enjoys bread this might interest you.

Today my low carb bread arrived from Amazon, not cheap at £5 a loaf (no i haven't won the lottery haha) or 35p a slice, which sounds much better. I bought from Amazon:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08CNLRN76/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fab_PBDHFb2C7M9H1

You can buy it much cheaper apparently direct from their website. And they do bread rolls at less than 3g per roll. Highly recommended.

I had 1 slice today with Kerrygold butter (it's the Irish in me) as a bit of a test ...butter melted into the bread as it was so lovely and warmmmmmmm

@ 0.9g carbs per slice... incredibly low carb, and here are the amazing results, drum roll....longer drum roll.....

Ate at 13.47pm. Hardly any blood glucose rise!!!

Even hi-lo bread (very low carb) gives me a significant rise! So I'm actually in shock. It was absolutely delicious, added bonus!

Here are others I have tried in the past from the start of my journey with diabetes.

Lower than average carbs. (My wholemeal bread i ate prior to #t2diabetes diagnosis was just short of 20g Carbs PER SLICE!) To put that into perspective I eat about 30g carbs a day, give or take a few.

I seldom eat bread but if i do I choose the lowest carb:

Livlife 3.8g per slice (waitrose) https://www.waitrose.com/ecom/products/livlife-seriously-seeded-sliced-bread/869667-288713-288714

Hi-lo 5g per slice (sainsburys) http://www.hi-lo-bread.co.uk/

Kingsmill crustless 7.3g per slice
https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/291369153

Lower carb 9.9g per slice (hovis)
https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/297172076

And to top off my day it's fat head pizza for dinner. Delicious.

https://www.wholesomeyum.com/recipes/fathead-pizza-crust-low-carb-keto-gluten-free-nut-free/

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201013-154550_LibreLink.jpg
    Screenshot_20201013-154550_LibreLink.jpg
    211.7 KB · Views: 339
  • 20201013_212205.jpg
    20201013_212205.jpg
    860.9 KB · Views: 353

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A word of caution. This stuff made me very ill. It was lovely, but I had a very bad reaction to (I am assuming) xantham gum.

Husband also had a flare up of IBS, the bread was the only thing that we ate in common.

I was gutted. I don't want to put anybody off, just please treat with caution until you know you can tolerate it. If you can, the options are endless and glorious!

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am so exited to share this. For anyone that enjoys bread this might interest you.

Today my low carb bread arrived from Amazon, not cheap at £5 a loaf (no i haven't won the lottery haha) or 35p a slice, which sounds much better. I bought from Amazon:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08CNLRN76/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fab_PBDHFb2C7M9H1

You can buy it much cheaper apparently direct from their website. And they do bread rolls at less than 3g per roll. Highly recommended.

I had 1 slice today with Kerrygold butter (it's the Irish in me) as a bit of a test ...butter melted into the bread as it was so lovely and warmmmmmmm

@ 0.9g carbs per slice... incredibly low carb, and here are the amazing results, drum roll....longer drum roll.....

Ate at 13.47pm. Hardly any blood glucose rise!!!

Even hi-lo bread (very low carb) gives me a significant rise! So I'm actually in shock. It was absolutely delicious, added bonus!

Here are others I have tried in the past from the start of my journey with diabetes.

Lower than average carbs. (My wholemeal bread i ate prior to #t2diabetes diagnosis was just short of 20g Carbs PER SLICE!) To put that into perspective I eat about 30g carbs a day, give or take a few.

I seldom eat bread but if i do I choose the lowest carb:

Livlife 3.8g per slice (waitrose) https://www.waitrose.com/ecom/products/livlife-seriously-seeded-sliced-bread/869667-288713-288714

Hi-lo 5g per slice (sainsburys) http://www.hi-lo-bread.co.uk/

Kingsmill crustless 7.3g per slice
https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/291369153

Lower carb 9.9g per slice (hovis)
https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/297172076

And to top off my day it's fat head pizza for dinner. Delicious.

https://www.wholesomeyum.com/recipes/fathead-pizza-crust-low-carb-keto-gluten-free-nut-free/

A number of people have been talking about that product @Debandez . Being gluten-free, it's not at all for me, but those buying it seem to find buying direct is better, in terms of prompt delivery timescales.

If you want further context on that, there's a decent trail of conversation on the What have you eaten thread.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hmmm lots of things in it that I'd rather avoid but if you addicts need it... :D
Screenshot 2020-10-13 at 23.02.49.png

M

Member496333

The only thing on that ingredients list that would pass my lips is egg, salt and water. On that basis I’m out ;)

Joking aside it sounds as though you like it so fair play. A gateway to crack cocaine but even so...:p

SilverK

I’ve ordered some “Lizza” bread. Will report back when it arrives. Not as low as this one but it looks yummy.

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
A word of caution. This stuff made me very ill. It was lovely, but I had a very bad reaction to (I am assuming) xantham gum.

Husband also had a flare up of IBS, the bread was the only thing that we ate in common.

I was gutted. I don't want to put anybody off, just please treat with caution until you know you can tolerate it. If you can, the options are endless and glorious!

Oh my goodness. Thats awful. No reaction here. So far!

Reactions: xfieldok

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
A number of people have been talking about that product @Debandez . Being gluten-free, it's not at all for me, but those buying it seem to find buying direct is better, in terms of prompt delivery timescales.

If you want further context on that, there's a decent trail of conversation on the What have you eaten thread.

Thank you :)

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hmmm lots of things in it that I'd rather avoid but if you addicts need it... :DView attachment 44605

Its gone in the freezer. I have a slice of toast every so often but even the hi-lo puts up my bs. This will be a better option. I will still only have on occasion. It's just sometimes I do appreciate a slice. I'm giving one loaf to my daughter who has started on low carb for weight loss. 21lbs down. The other 2 loaves should last me a decade I reckon ;-)

Reactions: OzBlossom

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
The only thing on that ingredients list that would pass my lips is egg, salt and water. On that basis I’m out ;)

Joking aside it sounds as though you like it so fair play. A gateway to crack cocaine but even so...:p

What can I say. Once an addict.......

to be honest bread was never really my thing (apart from garlic bread). It will be a once in a while thing.

Reactions: OzBlossom

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ve ordered some “Lizza” bread. Will report back when it arrives. Not as low as this one but it looks yummy.
What are the ingredients please? Just so as I can compare. Thanks

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes

Thanks.
Look to be even lower carb than the fabled Lidl rolls.

I've ordered a 4 pack of rolls to try them out.
Shipping is nearly as much as the rolls.

If they work for me I will probably order in bulk and add to a freezer.

On the contents I was a bit disappointed to see palm oil and fat, but the main thing is to see if they are palatable and don't spike my BG.

Sadly, I still have a yearning for bread related products.

Reactions: Debandez

SilverK

IMG_3067.jpg
IMG_3066.jpg

I’ve ordered bread mixes as well as rolls. They’re coming by dpd from Frankfurt but shipping is free. There’s also 15% off at the moment if you BREADDAY into the voucher code box, as well as other offers on.
I’ll report back when it gets here

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Thanks.

On the contents I was a bit disappointed to see palm oil and fat, but the main thing is to see if they are palatable and don't spike my BG.

Noting that I had to acknowledge on the ordering page that shipment would be in 6-7 days, and probably via Post Office/Royal Mail.

I received a text from DHL first thing this morning saying that a delivery was on the way.

I've just received an email saying that the rolls have been sent by DHL.

So they should be with me today, and I can try them out.

Will report back.

Edit: not the rolls, unfortunately.
An item from Amazon Marketplace which disappeared in the post during August.
Just turned up out of the blue.
I've checked and it was refunded.
Still baffled by this.

Last edited:

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
View attachment 44619View attachment 44620

I’ve ordered bread mixes as well as rolls. They’re coming by dpd from Frankfurt but shipping is free. There’s also 15% off at the moment if you BREADDAY into the voucher code box, as well as other offers on.
I’ll report back when it gets here

Thanks for that.

The pre-baked rolls look remarkably like the Lidl rolls (no longer available) apart from not being triangular.

I feel a bit of testing coming on.

The ingredient list might be better than the seriouslylowcarb one.

Reactions: Debandez

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Thanks.

Well, they turned up today.
They look nice, smell nice, and they are a decent size.
They are a bit more "plasticy" than your average bread roll, and I had a couple of goes starting the bread knife.
I tried the first one just buttered as a double egg muffin.
A bit light and plasticy to bite, and not a massive flavour, but an acceptable outer wrapping for food.
Reminded me a bit of the cheaper white supermarket baps; that is, no great flavour or texture but a good basis for building something more interesting.

Didn't spike my BG at all which was very interesting.

I now need to try one toasted with butter, one dampened then warmed in the oven, possibly one as cheese on toast.

I feel a tuna mayo filling coming on as well.

All in all very promising if I can satisfy my cravings for a sandwich without the carbohydrate hit.

Must order some of that German bread as well.

SilverK

Update on Lizza products:
The rolls are good. But the toasties!!!! I’m completely in love!! split in half and made into cheese on toast. nom nom nomnomnomnom
IMG_3075.jpg
IMG_3076.jpg