Gentle grip socks

helenmj

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Looking for advice please, I suffer from very painful feet and have seen “gentle grip”socks advertised, has anyone tried then and if so were they successful thank you

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have gentle grip socks, I find them nice and comfy, but I do not suffer from painful feet though, so whilst comfy for me that doesn't mean they will be for you.
I was mostly looking for something that didn't leave dents/lines in my ankles at the top of the socks and they don't do that :)

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Looking for advice please, I suffer from very painful feet and have seen “gentle grip”socks advertised, has anyone tried then and if so were they successful thank you
Helen, I know several folks who like gentle grip socks, for one reason or another. Whatever you do, don't get sucked into paying shocking amounts.

SilverK

I find that wearing normal socks but folding the tops down onto the bony part of my ankle stops leg dents.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
I use gentle grip socks and they don't leave an indent line around my ankle --- best reputable place i know to buy them is Diabetic Supply ( UK ) https://www.diabeticsupply.co.uk/

i2iDavid

Hi,
I changed sock type due to high level of indent on leg at top of socks. I changed to bamboo threads with soft grip, they are thin but still remain quite warm and are also seamless. This outlet do both ladies and gents sockshop.co.uk go for gentle grip.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I am wearing them now and they are brilliant. :)

Those nasty grooves other socks caused in my legs I no longer have.

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
I buy cheap socks and then cut the elastic in vertical strips about 3cm apart. It works @helenmj

Reactions: JohnEGreen

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@helenmj - I'm fortunate enough to live just outside a town where once hosiery, knitting and underwear were the staple industries (with footwear and hats close by). Anyway, we have a funny little drapery shop - very, very old fashioned, the nightwear I'm sure my grandmother would have been comfortable with.

Anyway, they apparently have a great selection of gentle top/diabetes friendly socks at rock bottom prices. This is something that is talked about it most years in our Diabetes UK local group, when we have a local podiatrist come to visit a monthly meeting.

I think my takeaway message would be don't ignore your High Street in your quest. If you have any old fashioned shops, such as I describe, give them a go.

lessci

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@helenmj - I'm fortunate enough to live just outside a town where once hosiery, knitting and underwear were the staple industries (with footwear and hats close by). Anyway, we have a funny little drapery shop - very, very old fashioned, the nightwear I'm sure my grandmother would have been comfortable with.

Anyway, they apparently have a great selection of gentle top/diabetes friendly socks at rock bottom prices. This is something that is talked about it most years in our Diabetes UK local group, when we have a local podiatrist come to visit a monthly meeting.

I think my takeaway message would be don't ignore your High Street in your quest. If you have any old fashioned shops, such as I describe, give them a go.

Or your local market, - I know that there are a couple of stalls on the Saturday market in my local town that sell them

helenmj

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Has anyone tried the gentle grip socks and if so were they any good

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I have and yes they are good.there are alternatives you could take an ordinary pair of socks and cut through the elastic with a pair of scissors for instance.

Reactions: oldgreymare

TeddyTottie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I buy gentle grip socks by the large pack full from Amazon, and have done so for several years before I was diagnosed with T2. This is because I am a serial sock abuser and regularly treat them to a hot wash and a tumble dry, and socks tend not to respond well to this regime. If they are in any way tight to start off with they end up being like a tourniquet after a few months....

The socks are fine, pretty cheap from Amazon, wear as well as anything else and stay up ok even before I have subjected them to my evil washing routine.