Type 1 Newly diagnosed

Gafspa

I’ve recently been diagnosed with type 1 at the age of 42.
As I’m sure you can imagine getting my levels under control is a huge task.
I’ve read that heat can effect the absorption of insulin but can the cold?
I have sons that play football and when I’ve taken them/watched I’ve had my breakfast and insulin as normal and by lunchtime I’m usually in range. However after the football matches my bloods are really high?? Yesterday I was 14.
Is this normal, have other people experienced this?

Circuspony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh yes it can - when you're newly diagnosed they make it all sound straightforward. It isn't!

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
I’ve recently been diagnosed with type 1 at the age of 42.
As I’m sure you can imagine getting my levels under control is a huge task.
I’ve read that heat can effect the absorption of insulin but can the cold?
I have sons that play football and when I’ve taken them/watched I’ve had my breakfast and insulin as normal and by lunchtime I’m usually in range. However after the football matches my bloods are really high?? Yesterday I was 14.
Is this normal, have other people experienced this?

If you were in range at lunchtime and did not eat again then I'd be less inclined to suspect the weather and the temperature although it can have an affect.

When watching your boy's did you get a little animated in terms of cheering them on, or shouting at the referee (or even other parents - judging by some things I read)?

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I've not heard about temperature affecting insulin absorption? I think the effect would be smaller than the other things that affect BS movements.

Circuspony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've not heard about temperature affecting insulin absorption? I think the effect would be smaller than the other things that affect BS movements.
For me it's a huge variable - in hot countries I dial right back to avoid horrendous hypos. Cold weather in the UK I'm injecting significantly more.

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Like @Circuspony it affects me as well , when its hot (ie above 25C in my case) I have to take less otherwise I will be fighting hypos all day.

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hot and cold weather affect both basal and bolus rates for me. Have got different basal rates programmed into pump for summer and winter.

Gafspa

Thank you all for replying, ill give myself more insulin on Sunday morning and see how I go.
First few times I just thought food was digesting slower keeping my levels up but it’s every week.